LucasArts Officially Closed down

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Yerolo, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Queenie

Queenie Member

I don't remember the last time I heard about a star wars flight sim.

This is a bad thing.

Seriously, has anything been released since Rogue Squadron 3? (2003, Gamecube)

That's a problem.

You know what got greenlighted instead? A bunch of battlefront sequels... only on the PSP... and The Farce Unleashed (pseudo-jedi-knight).

After this, we have the decent adventure star wars lego series.

And some CG Clone Wars games that sucked balls.

2. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I wasn't being serious. :) I have complete boxed copies (some still sealed) of just about all the LucasFilm / LucasArts classics and I was making fund of how artwork generally becomes more valueable after an artist dies.

3. Veefy

Veefy Member

I think the decision isn't that surprising given the whole context of what happened with Epic Mickey, Junction Point and Warren Spector (who's unemployed at the moment). Well other than the writing columns and other general talks/presentation stuff about the game industry at conferences.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/warren-spector/0/7a1/635

I hope he's secretly trying to plan and get people and logistics in place to get a a super awesome game to be funded through Kickstarter off the ground.

I mean if he announced a project on Kickstarter called "I'm Warren Spector and want to make a super awesome game" with zero details or specifics about what the project was, I'd still give him money... :lol:

4. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Not necessarily. Square Enix just fired their previous CEO of 10 years, who drove the company into the ground. They are under new management and the new CEO basically just went through and made massive changes within the company. Will be interesting to see the outcome of that.

5. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

Raven released the JK2/JKA source code due to this move.

Hope some awesome mods come out of it!

6. Trido

Trido Member

Same as everyone I grew up playing these games and TIE Fighter remains my favourite game of all time.

That being said, I am glad this has happened. They proved long ago that they were only going to release steaming piles of crap (EAW: FoC) if anything at all (Battlefront 3 and 1313). At least this way, they can give other companies a chance to create decent games based on LucasArts IP.

The ability for it to function easily on Windows 7 would be good enough for me. :) I want GoG to get on to their catalogue so that they can re-release these classic games.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  7. Queenie

Queenie Member

Oh my goooooooooood

8. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Rightio.

Really we just have to be patient - I'm sure we'll have some sort of statement or indication in the next few months of how things are going to go - recently LucasArts haven't developed anything - all the very recent Star Wars games of note have been outside projects - Lego Star Wars wasn't LA, Kinect Star Wars wasn't LA, Empire at War wasn't LA, KOTR, TOR, Battlefront, Star Wars Galaxies, Tie Fighter, X-Wing, X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance were all done by outside studios!

How much of Rogue Squadron wasn't LA I'm not sure, but it was at least a joint development.

Force Unleashed 1 (2008) and 2 (2010) were LA. Republic Commando (2005) was too. Who remember Galactic Battlegrounds? (2001) - that mess was Lucasarts. Dark Forces 1 and 2, Episode 1 Podracer, Starfighter and Shadows of the Empire were definitely LA, I haven't really played anything else worthwhile off the top of my head.

It isn't really a big loss - they still hold the IP, and there will still be Star Wars games.

9. Queenie

Queenie Member

Yeah, saying Rogue Squadron was a flight sim is a biiiiiiit of a stretch.

So what you're saying, though, is that we should find out who developed tie fighter/x-wing, and get them to kickstart something.

10. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Without legal permission to use the Star Wars brand, and all the Star Wars stuff, it doesn't matter.

If someone did have permission to go ahead, they probably wouldn't use kickstarter anyway - they'd probably be funded in a traditional manner.

11. boneburner

boneburner Member

Postscriptum:

*sounds of paper shuffling with endless reams of legal documents being sorted*

Disney announces Lucasfilm Games (dont get too excited - as its really just a banner for the external licences for various projects)

To let you know they mean business - and by business i mean an industry that in 2020 outstripped that of sport & movies combined, with an estimated income of $180 billion usd - they provided a sizzle reel:

12. rthy

rthy Member

depends if it is sw last jedi or mandalorian quality

JSmithDTV and Spyder6052 like this.
  13. boneburner

boneburner Member

Just hours after the ink on those contracts is barely dry - Lucasfilm Games announces an as yet untitled Indianda Jones game.

The game will be made by Machine Games - the studio behind the excellent Wolfenstein franchise. Im super pumped by this announcement and.. oh wait..

its going to be produced by Bethesda's todd howard... hey google, how do i turn off speech to t

connection lost

clonex and BurningFeetMan like this.
  14. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

I wouldnt stress too much, producers generally don't have a large amount of creative input on the game especially so when they arent even in the same studio as the dev team

15. power

power Member

So Microsoft are making Disney games.

yay?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  16. boneburner

boneburner Member

So it looks like Disney is changing the deal with EA *background force choking sound* with an abrupt end to their 10 year exclusivity contract on the Star Wars ip, three years ahead of schedule.

Massive Entertainment has signed to make an open world Star Wars game, with The Division 2 and The Crew Director Julian Gerighty serving as creative director on the game, which will use Massive's Snowdrop engine.

EA released a bland statement to ArsTechnica: We are proud of our long-standing collaboration with Lucasfilm Games, which will continue for years to come. Our talented teams have created some of the most successful games in the history of the Star Wars franchise, including Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Star Wars: Battlefront and Battlefront II, Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes and Star Wars: Squadrons. We love Star Wars, and we look forward to creating more exciting experiences for players to enjoy."

news via: ArsTechnica

17. rthy

rthy Member

must be related to EA giving up on origin

18. power

power Member

i reckon they would have been lucky to break even they really wasted the license for the most part.

RnR and boneburner like this.
  19. damo13579

damo13579 Member

I wonder what the chances of Star wars Galactic Battlegrounds getting a Definitive edition are like the AOE games.

20. boneburner

boneburner Member

So Geoff Keighley from The Game Awards tweeted a question to Bruce Straley - EX-Director Dude of Naughty Dog with Uncharted 2, Uncharted, 4 and Co-Creator of The Last of Us - and asked:

"Some great studios are doing licensed games. - Respawn with Jedi Fallen Order - Io with 007 - Machine/Bethesda with Indiana Jones - Massive with Star Wars What’s your dream studio / franchise collaboration you hope to see one day?"

To which Bruce replied:

"None. We need all that talent & money focused on creating new content, new IP, and innovating in the AAA space Geoff.;) :thumbup:"

teehee - probably not the answer he was after, but the correct answer nonetheless.

via: twitter

elvis likes this.