Luthier notched straight edge

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Skexis, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Skexis

Skexis Member

Anyone know where I can get one of these for a bass at a price that won't make me weep uncontrollably? Prices in the USA are around USD$20. Prices over here are up around the AUD$100 mark even though it's still just a piece of metal measuring around 800x3.5x38mm.

Beginning to think it might be cheaper to get someone to knock one up for me.

2. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Sounds like a hole in the market. :) But you're right, it doesn't sound like a particularly difficult thing to fabricate. Does it have to be metal? Could you get one 3d printed?

3. OP
    OP
    Skexis

Skexis Member

Don't know anything about 3d printing but I suspect not as the edge needs to be dead flat and have no give. Most metal ones are machined. Might get away with thick perspex I suppose.

I've also wondered if I could get a suitable meter ruler and use a Dremel to cut the notches.

4. negatron

negatron Member

yep, +1 for dremelling the metal ruler.

5. OP
    OP
    Skexis

Skexis Member

Well I went to Bunnings today to look at metal rulers but ended up buying an aluminum bar instead as I reckon it'll be easier to cut. Currently looking for a Dremel or similar on Gumtree but might look at using an angle grinder as I've already got one of those.

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

An angle grinder? Your notches wont exactly be thin, even with the thinnest of cutting wheels. You'd be better off using a hacksaw, much more controllable and much thinner notches than you'll ever get with an angle grinder. Dremel is a better choice of tool if you want finer notches, but a hacksaw would be far superior to an angle grinder. Aluminium is not hard to cut.

7. negatron

negatron Member

8. oculi

oculi Member

does it just have to clear the frets? just use a file.

9. OP
    OP
    Skexis

Skexis Member

No, thats for a regular guitar with a scale length of around 24". Basses have a longer scale of around 34" and the frets are more widely spaced. Anything non-notched will only indicate if the top of the frets are level.

My issue is the bass I'm fixing up has been left unloved for so long that the fretboard is significantly out. Only when this is straight is it worth looking at what the frets are up to.

10. hello people

hello people Member

If there's one thing consistent with products in Australia...you get gouged.

11. OP
    OP
    Skexis

Skexis Member

...and will continue to be, even more so now the GST free threshold has been done away with. Thanks Gerry, not.