Luthier recommendation Sydney

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Cererus, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Cererus

Cererus Member

I've got a 70's strat that I've owned for the last 30 years, hasn't been touched for at least the last 10 years and is now more or less in pieces.
    I had a burst of enthusiasm about 2 years ago and got some gotoh tuners and a set of Sliders pickups on the advice of a bloke I used to work with who was a pretty handy player but then the whole project went back into the case due to other commitments.
    I want to get someone to reassemble it and get it set up properly, preferably inner Sydney suburbs or lower Northshore or Eastern Suburbs, potentially needs frets fixed.
    Any recommendations, prefer not to be intimidated by some dude who says stuff like "I used to be Jimmy Page's tech man" you need to buy xyz bits, I would prefer to keep it original as possible.

2. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

Is it a Fender? Sounds cool!
    I've taken guitars to Wild Horse Guitars in Surry Hills with good results. They're not luthiers specifically, but they know how to do good things, and they're familiar with vintage gear.

3. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

ive used this guy .. thought he was great
    http://www.alanrigg.com.au/

and hes inner sydney. very nice guy and very talkative and ran me through everything he saw with my guitar, not that i know much about guitars or playing them. i've since given up ahahaa

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  4. OP
    OP
    Cererus

Cererus Member

Thanks,
    Alan Rigg looks like the guy to take it to.

5. bangmango

bangmango Member

Also Les Rankin one of the best and good value,as he is also a player..0404 945 692
    He is on Facebook too I think..

6. wilchelus

wilchelus Member

I you haven't already taken it to Alan Rigg take it to Charles Cilia (give him a call). He's an amazing builder/luthier. His workshop is immaculate, his custom guitars are flawless, and he also plays guitar.

I've now had 2 custom guitars built by Charles.

Check previous thread to my first Cilia Guitars custom: https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...ga7-pics-spec-demo-vid.1151821/#post-16530293 you can see photos of his workshop here.

pic of the second custom guitar I had made by Charles.
    [​IMG]

He doesn't just put pre-cut guitar pieces together. He makes them from scratch. I'm sure he can take a look at your guitar and let you know what needs doing.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  7. Revenge

Revenge Member

Another option worth considering if it needs serious repairs / rebuilding is Jeff Mallia. I have seen Jeff turn pieces of log into beautiful instruments.

If it doesn't actually need serious repairs though and simply needs to be 'put back together, wired and set up' a good guitar shop should be able to handle that for you at a reasonable price.