Mac Pro 1.1 - Fan Assembly WILL NOT BUDGE

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by espresso, Apr 28, 2012.

1. espresso

espresso Member

I've had to HOLD DOWN my Mac Pro WITH ONE KNEE whilst trying to lift out the fan assembly. Where the frig could it be jammed???

I've removed the screw at the top of the assembly. The assembly pops out of the connector on the motherboard and the top of the assembly is loose, but holy shit is it ever holding on at the bottom. These things weigh what... 13Kg? I would easily have been putting three times that force on trying to lift out the assembly. Kinda glad it didn't pop loose (or break) or I'd have thrown myself out the window...

Any tips?? Driving me absolutely insane as I've been at it for over half an hour... Just want to swap out my CPUs!!

2. OP
    OP
    espresso

espresso Member

Got it... Removed a hard drive from a caddy, slipped the caddy handle underneath the assembly to use as a lever. Stood on the MP case, grabbed one end of the assembly with one hand and the other with the hard disk caddy and pulled. Slipped out "nicely".

Seriously... What a bastard of a job.

3. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

i guess the old addage of hardware classes. if it do not fit you are not using a big enough hammer somewhat applies to this.

4. OP
    OP
    espresso

espresso Member

Ha! Pretty much it!!

5. Smakked

Smakked Member

Sounds interesting, will be doing mine this weekend if my CPUs arrive

6. OP
    OP
    espresso

espresso Member

Nice! Removing the fan assembly is definitely the most difficult part of the whole process. I'd have had it done in 5 minutes or less had I been able to remove the FA without all the fuss.

Going quad?

7. Smakked

Smakked Member

Yep got 2x Intel Xeon X5355 coming, should be here by tomorrow