Mac Wired Keyboard and Mouse

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Butcher9_9, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Looks like Apple have Discontinued their Wired KB+M

Any other cheaper options with the Mac Keys? I see that Das keyboard and some of the more expensive brands have them but nothing in the sub $100 range that I can find.

2. insular

insular Member

i got tired of charging batteries and went mechanical with the logitech g610 windows version

just remap the option and command keys with alt and windows key (reverse default settings).

and give up most other stuff. can remap some of the function keys with logitech control centre, if you really need to use the old 'show dashboard' etc.

also got a pc wired mouse, again, no batteries. i found the magic mouse to be unergonomic, to the point i was getting aching finger tendons.

3. Hater

Hater Member

Why would you want one? The Apple peripherals are absolutely shithouse. When I used to supply Apple machines to end users, the first thing on the list was to replace them with Microsoft Basic kit!

That said, absolutely any mechanical keyboard that uses Cherry switches, you can just buy Mac specific keycaps for.

But yeah, my laptop is an HP and has been running OS X for 6 years now - You get used to which keys map where quick.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  4. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

What makes them shithouse compared to the Microsoft Basic kit?

I love them, Apple users in the office groan when given generic KBs/Mice and even half the developers on Windows boxes use Apple keyboards. Definitely one of the best OEM keyboards. :thumbup:

5. Hater

Hater Member

They have no typing feel, the caps bottom out too easily and the mouse... well, I don't really need to say anything about the mouse! Endless complaints.

6. kogi

kogi Member

Yes, definitely better than the Microsoft Basic Kit. But that's a pretty low bar.

Mac keyboard $179
    Ducky Keyboard with mechanical switches and PBT keycaps $149

Mac "magic" mouse $109
    Logitech MX Master $79

7. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Nah the wired Apple wired keyboard has always been $99, but to your point yeah there are definitely technically better options out there cheaper, just not the low end generic stuff.

8. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

I've always been a fan of their wired keyboard design. It's minimalistic, doesn't take up desk space, looks *good*, has USB sockets in it...

I'm a heavy typer, so my workmates appreciate how the Apple keyboards reduce office noise. Shame I can't say the same for the new MacBook Pro keyboard.

The wired mouse+keyboard is an issue as the mouse cable keeps getting in the way. I've now switched to a wireless magic keyboard + magic mouse and I've been very happy - and it's VERY minimalistic.

I use mechanical keyboards for gaming and I really find them clunky/bulky now for other purposes.

9. giles666

giles666 Member

You can just get the Magic Keyboard and leave it plugged in if you desperatley want a wired keyboard.

Why would you want wired over wireless anyway? Just more clutter.

10. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Thanks Guys,

Its for schools with Macs. Wireless Peripherals get stolen of swapped and Students/ Teachers are to stupid to figure out the whole Option, command CTRL vs CRTL, Alt and WIN thing.

11. Hater

Hater Member

Sounds like you want a bunch of G3 keyboards with the hockey puck mice then.

Nobody would ever steal those.

12. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

13. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

14. everybodies

everybodies Member

one thing i dont understand is why nobody else adds usb ports to keyboards. this is a great feature of the aluminium Mac one, especially to plug in a wireless mouse.
    when are they going to catch up to this?

i like the apple stuff, except the magic mouse, that's horrible, and their prices, well, thats another can of worms

15. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Lots of keyboards have usb ports now... My Razer keyboard has one, Corsair and SteelSeries have them too...

16. Perko

Perko Member

Matias have had them for years.

17. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

Macally is another alternative replacement.

18. everybodies

everybodies Member

the point i was trying to make is that they all should have usb ports. it's not essential, but very handy.
    the daisy chain nature of USB pretty much suggests that not to do so is illogical on a USB keyboard