1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

MacBook Pro running Windows - Crashes when external monitors connected

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by PostModern, Jan 30, 2018.

1. PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

Hi OCAU! I hope your huge wealth of knowledge in weird hardware and driver issues could help me out here.

I've got a bunch of MacBook Pro's, current model, that we've run up with Windows. Not BootCamp, or Parallels, but converted to "pure" Windows 10. ie, I ran up the MacOS, updated, got a copy of the latest BootCamp drivers onto my Windows installation media, formatted the SSD and installed Windows. No dramas, apart from Windows setup requiring the Apple SSD driver in order to see the MacBook's storage. Anyway, these machines have run fine, been connected to a domain and everything is just dandy, even the function button touch bar works in Windows.

But then we hooked up some HP monitors on Thunderbolt to DP cables. Computer worked fine when resolutions and scaling all set up. Good looking kit. Except that once the MBP is connected to the external monitors, it won't boot again. In fact, it won't find the SSD - just in Windows 10 setup limbo requiring a boot from the installation media to recover.

My guess is that the Intel Driver and/or the PnP Generic Monitor drivers somehow corrupt the Apple SSD driver and prevent the EFI from accessing the Windows partition... I dunno...

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Cheers,
    PoMo

2. FOTW

FOTW Member

Do you try to re-boot while still connected to monitor or does it happen even if you have disconnected from monitor and then reboot? Also if you put MBP to sleep and then turn back on again will it boot from sleep mode. Also is it only happening with HP monitors have you tried other monitors.

Just curios any reason your not using bootcamp?

3. OP
    OP
    PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

Connected to external monitors or not when shut down, they don't come back up. Both HDMI and TBolt/DP cable.

Haven't tried sleep. Haven't tried other monitors.

Not using BootCamp as that is the client's requirement. Windows only, Apple hardware.

4. FOTW

FOTW Member

Not sure man I spoke with our ASP tech and she cant think of anything other then driver issue. It could be thunderbolt is causing the issue see if you can find thunderbolt driver update. Maybe a Microsoft display adapter might work, not sure if they are compatible with a mac running windows 10 but since your using wifi to send video I dont see why it shouldn't?