Macbook Pro Yesteryear or 2020 model?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Cigaweedz, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Cigaweedz

Cigaweedz Member

Hi folks,

The missus is looking to buy a Macbook Pro. She wants to use it for recording music and video editing.

What are your recommendations? Size, RAM, CPU and etc?

For context, the only thing Apple related that we have at home is a Second-gen iPad that she uses for her sheet music.

2. everybodies

everybodies Member

well. it would be a shame not to get the most out of it without a HomePod and maybe an apple watch so the laptop unlocks when you're near.
    you could stream it all to your brand new 4k apple tv as well, and best of all you could pay for all that with your new apple credit card.

hows that for an eco system?

3. MELso76

MELso76 Member

No new MacBooks this morning, but they should be announced in early November. I'd hold off for a few more weeks if you can.

4. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

There bringing there own new cpu soon, I would hold off. And tbh get an imac pro if that's the case. I would go pc over mac these days for not only software but hardware, if music is what its being used for and vid production your really silly to use a mac book pro.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  5. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Depends how serious she is and what toolset she uses, but you probably don't want to be cutting edge on a new processor architecture for anything thats not Apple tooling. (e.g FinalCut/Logic Pro)

A mid to high spec MacBook Pro 16 with a ram bump to 32gb or 64gb will cover a lot of bases for a long time.

6. everybodies

everybodies Member

imac pro lol. you're joking right?
    its 7k

i think unless you really need portability get an imac,
    the more cores the better for video editing and OSX does run better with more RAM

7. OP
    OP
    Cigaweedz

Cigaweedz Member

Thanks, everyone. Now I have a rough idea of what to get based on your replies.

Cheers.

8. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

My personal guess is 12" MacBook with Apple Silicon this year. They will let all of the richer early adopters beta test everything for them and in 6-12 months they will start replacing the more Core product like macBook Airs / Pros.

As for the OP, it really depends on what she is doing with it. Pretty much any machine from the past 6 years will run the latest MacOS and handle some level of video editing ect. If you are rocking 720p/1080p and the projects are not crazy then whatever you want/can afford. If you are heading into 4K ++++ well then a 16" with as much memory ect as you can afford.

9. nitro_jawt

nitro_jawt Member

As someone who uses their MacBook Pro for (casual) music production, and daily work, I’d say 2019/2020 16in is a huge step up on the prior models. For moderately serious work the 16in will be a big over the 13.

For my needs, 16Gb has been fine, but 32Gb certainly allows more headroom. If you’re doing video then too much is never enough storage - buy as much as you can afford (1TB is what I’d start at).

10. Onyx

Onyx Member

Thunderbolt 3 and external SSDs will let you have fast storage space without paying the Apple tax. eg Samsung X5 2TB retails for $1.2k - to spend $1.2k extra on upgrading storage on an Apple Mac would probably get you 512Gb. 2800MB/s transfers. If you can live with slower transfers, there’s a plethora of USB SSDs that max out Sata 3 limits 500–600MB/s and will cost you a lot less.

11. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

Your so right what was i thinking get this instead

Mac Pro
    Hardware
    • 2.5GHz 28‑core Intel Xeon W processor with Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
    • 1.5TB (12 × 128GB) of DDR4 ECC memory
    • Two Radeon Pro Vega II Duo with 2 × 32GB of HBM2 memory each
    • 8TB of SSD storage
    • Apple Afterburner card
    • Stainless steel frame with wheels
    • Magic Mouse 2 + Magic Trackpad 2
    • Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad — US English
    • Accessory Kit
    Software
    • macOS
    • Photos, iMovie, GarageBand
    • Pages, Numbers, Keynote
    • Final Cut Pro
    • Logic Pro
    A$82,737.98

great thing is kanye west is such a whore he will do lyrics and be in her videos for $50

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020 at 5:33 PM