Macca's Double Pounder.

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by JugV2, Aug 12, 2007.

1. JugV2

JugV2 Member

MONSTER-SIZED McDonald's hamburgers stuffed with up to eight meat patties and nine slices of cheese have been slammed as "a heart attack waiting to happen".

Some of the fast-food chains sell super-sized Quarter Pounders, which contain about 220g of fat and 11,500kJ each, on request.

The "double pounder" is the equivalent of more than three days' worth of fat for a grown man - or almost five Pizza Hut deep-pan Hawaiian pizzas or 45 Tim Tams.

At about $18, it is not listed on the menu, nor under nutritional information.

It has developed a cult following as a challenge for teenagers, after a video was posted online of a 17-year-old boy ploughing his way through the burger at a McDonald's restaurant.

Rival chain Hungry Jacks is also allowing customers to order mega-burgers under its Have It Your Way ordering system.

Nutrition Australia senior nutritionist Aloysa Hourigan described the double pounder as "obscene" and a "heart attack waiting to happen".

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22226831-2,00.html

Have a look at this thing. Absolutely ridiculous IMO.I can remember eating two quarter pounders once and feeling sick afterwards. How the hell would you get through this bugger?

2. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

People need to be responsible for themselves when it comes to food. So much nannying going on of late.

Big burger though. :)

3. Trevorrex

Trevorrex Member

I was annoyed when I saw that article. Not because of the burger but the whining that those people were doing. If it was part of the standard menu, they may have a point.

But the burger isn't, it has to be specially requested and made. Attempting to ban Macca's or other places from making one is probably dangerously close to messing with freedom of choice etc. After all, people can make worse things in the privacy of their own homes yet remain unharassed.

4. Rational

Rational Member

I don't think this is a major issue, it is up to the individual to control what he or she eats.

As it isn't on the normal menu it shouldn't be regarded as a "normal" McDonalds meal. It is somewhat of a novelty and the pricing (costing $18) reflects that. I somehow don't think people are going to go out and buy one of these very often or use it as part of the staple diet.

5. Crystal

Crystal (Banned or Deleted)

OMG EWW!!! I can just imagine buying one of them and having all that fat oozing out of the meat patties,

Heart attack waiting to happen is dead right. How anyone could eat that is gross...

6. Rational

Rational Member

Here is a direct link to the Youtube video of the kid eating one such "Double Pounder" buger.

7. Radar

Radar Member

Eating one of these burgers as a drunken dare or something isn't going to kill you, and it isn't the cause of the 'obesity crisis'.

So what if places like Maccas and HJ's offer giant burgers. More power to them. I could make quite a sizable, larger burger right here at home. Oh god, meat in supermarkets should be banned, and cheese!

It's a novelty, that's it.

8. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior R.I.P.

i remember making a few 'pounders' when i worked at maccas, but no double pounders. i think we worked out that in a pounder (4 large patties) you almost had one worth in pure saturated fat. Nasty shit.

9. BlastM

BlastM Member

Cheers I was waiting for that. :thumbup:

I love how he can eat 2 pounds of fatty processed meat, but he took the gherkin off because gherkin is disgusting. :lol:

10. revhed

revhed Member

How about a Supersize drink cup layered with sunday and sauce all the way to the top?

Mcdonalds still have a way to go before they can rival these guys:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Sheesh, that is just awesome.......I could go one right now. A usual quarter pounder isn't normally no where near enough.

The gherkin is the best bit about them.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  12. Bogus Jimmy

Bogus Jimmy Member

13. jkmatt

jkmatt Member

saw this in the paper today too, however it was just a photo and caption while the real story was about heart symbols apperaing in bigmac adds and things.
    Ive never tried a pounder, the one time i asked they refused to make it for me, for some people that would be the socially responsible thing, but im only a skinny fella. Meh, people should be responsible for thier own weight.

Its a large double quater pounder meal and a big mac for me though whenever i go to maccas, hrmm i might go now.

14. ThE_BiG_O

ThE_BiG_O Member

15. SyK

SyK Member

Attempted-hype factor of the article was mildly amusing, wondered what site it was, check...

Next on their list:
    http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/story/0,22049,22220794-5006007,00.html?from=news
    "Study shows over-sized sunnies are a safety hazard on the roads"

news.com.au: Bringing you the news you give a fuck about. :rolleyes:

Oh, on-topic: Funny how piling it all in like that makes the meat look so much cheaper and nastier... :eek:

Surely they could at least put SOME toppings in between? :(

16. Baringa

Baringa Member

ive seen a double pounder and ive sold quite a few pounders and double macs... not healthy in the slightest. particularly when you try to wrap it the paper is so soaked in grease you just.. cant wrap it.

17. AuroythmiX**

AuroythmiX** Member

That's disgusting.

How could people do that to their bodies.

Yugh.

18. worm

worm Member

Its one of those things you try once just because you can, and hopefully never try again.

19. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

Some say the same thing about drugs, alcohol, pre-marital sex, homosexuality, etc etc..

Each to their own.. :)

20. AuroythmiX**

AuroythmiX** Member

I can't see how gorging yourself with tasteless crap devoid of any nutritional value, which is basically the worst possible quality food you could buy, is fun or enjoyable.

Sex and drugs - lots of fun. Gorging yourself on disgusting shit like that? HUH?