MadE's Dip Into Slot Cars

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Madengineer, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So I decided to dip into slot cars after finding a childhood toy; an original AFX track with a single car. Now, I tried to run it, but it didn't work. I'd cleaned up the track, but the car was as good as roast. So I went looking for a tune up kit, when I saw this:

upload_2019-4-26_14-22-46.png

upload_2019-4-26_14-22-55.png

upload_2019-4-26_14-23-4.png
    It looked too good to pass up. So I didn't. I bought it. 3 days later, today, I received it!

I immediately tore open the packaging, and begin looking at the marvelous set of track.

upload_2019-4-26_14-23-10.png

First things first, it was so much bigger than I actually expected. It was enormous in comparison to the AFX track I'd played with as a kid, and it felt so so much better.

upload_2019-4-26_14-23-27.png

First up I did a quick test run on a simple oval. I was not prepared for how quick the cars would be on this track, and quickly realised full throttle was a BAD IDEA.

So anyway, I set about constructing the basic main stage for it, realising quickly the absolutely enormous size of this track.

I played around with ways I could prop it all up (total length was 3 metres, width about 2).

So the help of a couple of dining chairs, planks of wood and a clothes airer later, I had it all constructed.

I didn't put the barriers up, which was a mistake. It might've helped keep the car on the track. Plus it would've looked 50X cooler!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  2. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Chairs, wood, and a clothes airer... User name checks out! what's wrong with a temp setup on a floor in front of a couch?

Looking awesome, but the barriers aren't as helpful as you might think.. You'll get some nice drifting action and they can help with that..

But mostly cars will just fly over the top of the barriers... well with aggressive driving.

Do you have a corner, or shed, or spot you want to set up, or are you going to be using the help of chairs each time you want a drive?

3. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I've got a spare bedroom, unfortunately that's occupied right now, so going to attempt to use the floor.

I've got a massive piece of MDF out in the shed that I can use a base, but it's currently pissing down rain, so not too keen to go grab it yet :D

4. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Just be sure to relinquish the whole spare room the second it's free, and then there's no troubles in the future.

Madengineer likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yeah. So I put it on the floor in the loungeroom and did quite a few laps. Boy they don't like to stay on the track! :D

had to give the big corner quite the angle to make sure they didn't constantly fly off (Well actually more so just drive off).

This was my last attempt to do it on a table like structure, and it still didn't work :D

[​IMG]

I basically made the same track on the floor, except I had the middle sections much longer (2 B sections longer each)

It was amazing. For some reason though, they kept coming off on the corner bottom right, but top right was fine?)

I also noticed that 2 of the lights on the Torana don't work :( Not sure if that's worth chasing up?

6. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I took a video (not the greatest but meh)

It was only me driving them both (pain in the ass). Wish the camera got better tail flick.

Trying to work out how to get it off my tablet :D

7. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

You could chase up the non working lights, I would because it's brand new.
    Set cars don't usually have lights, so it's a nice feature.
    But since it got posted, send the store a message or call and see what to do, if their solution is send the whole set back for another one.. not really worth it.

One of my cars in my digital set was missing a magnet, and the solution was either send the whole lot back or live with it. I elected to live with it, and eventually I picked up more cars anyway and I got sent a magnet with them (armchair racer are seriously amazing)

You could pull the car apart, and see why the lights aren't working and fix them yourself... gonna need to do car maintenance at some point anyway ;)

8. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yeah. I've sent them an email. I'd really rather not pull it apart until absolutely neccessary.

The kit was pretty cool though, as it came with contacts that simply clip on to the shell under the car. I've only just put it away (including wiping the track down) and already I want to pull it out again! Gah!

Also still waiting on the tune kit from ebay.

9. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So finally got the video worked out! :D

10. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Ah the sound of a crash, then getting up to put the cars back on, then back to the sounds of driving!!!

Glad you're enjoying.

Madengineer likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yeah! Played for a couple of hours! Was fantastic! Eventually my back gave out and couldn't keep getting up like that :D

Tomorrow I'm going to play with the nephews. Taking it to their place where they've got a heap of room. Have a few races! :)

TBH I hadn't watched/listened to the video :D

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So contacted the place I bought the kit from, and there was a response this morning. They want me to send the entire kit back for a replacement.

I'm not going to do that. lol

Mostly because I can't, because they require all original packaging.

The only original packaging I have left is the plastic bags some of the small pieces came in :D

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  13. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

If you want to send it down to me I can have a look for you - might be an easy fix

mad_mic3 likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Nah, I've damaged it already :D

Turns out the Torana drifts like a fucking boss! :D

After lots of flips, and unfortunately, some busted plastic, I don't think it'll be getting sent back :D

But that's alright. Now I have a car I can fang around the track no problems (which will also be my test car for new tracks to see how well the track goes).

I'm very very tempted to slicken up the rear wheels and see how much fun we can have :D

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  15. philquad

philquad Member

Madengineer likes this.
  16. asho444

asho444 Member

Oof this is making me want to drive up to the parents to raid dad's massive afx collection! Spent some much time with these as a kid, would love to build a proper track and decorate it!

17. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yeah I’m actually going to put together a movie table of sorts on 4 wheels that sort of folds out.

18. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So I bought some second hand track and barriers, as well as two second hand cars. One an opal v8 the other a Nissan 350z.

Super keen to get them! Track pieces should be here soon, and cars and extra track will arrive sometime next week!

As of this weekend, I’ll be building a dedicated fold up table for the track. going To be 2x4 meters. So reasonable. And will neatly fold up when not in use.

19. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So it happened. And it was a mistake :D

[​IMG]

Total dimensions. 2.2 metres by 1.2 metres. It folds down to 40cm footprint (slots right into a place in my laundry).

Cost: A little over $50 (hinges and MDF).

To start with, my plans changed immediately. I was intent on building a table for the track this weekend. It would happen.

So I rock upto Bunnings, and am informed their saw is busted so can't cut customer wood. So there goes that idea.

Second problem. It was originally supposed to be a 'pivot' system, where it was swing on a centre sleeve much like flippable mirrors. But I couldn't find anything cost effective to complete this in Bunnings.

3 problem. It weighs a lot. And the I'm going to assume cheap castor wheels I had broke during testing. (hence no castors currently on it).

It was fun, and it will fullfil the purpose. But I think I'll just opt for a couple of trestle tables. More expensive, yes. But much more stable, much easier to put up/pack up, and just generally look better :D

My only gripe with the tables in the height. This one is 90cms high. Perfect height for me. Trestle tables are only about 70cms.

But they would also be bigger. They're about the same length as this, but 2 combined will be much wider.

[​IMG]

So this it it folded out (in the process of setting up).

It's pretty decent. I like it.

The hinges in the middle I didn't plan well enough for. I was originally getting a 2.4metre 23mm MDF. This is 2.2metres and 16mm. The hinge screws were 18mm :D

So we've got some pokers! (doesn't overly matter because It's getting a sheet of foam put over the top (I also bought a strip of foam for that centre bit, but left it at the Bunnings checkout (or trolley?).

The legs aren't permanently attached. What I did was use 5 bits of dowel to lock the legs in place. The dowel is glued to the legs, (which were originally meant to fit into the centre compartment, but math and me don't get along) and they just match up with the holes on the tabletop (again, they don't matter because cover).

Super easy to put together with one person. Took about 30 seconds. I just don't like how unstable it is :D

If kids were around I wouldn't use it, as they're likely to knock it over. So yeah!

That was my Saturday afternoon! Now onto building a new track with some goodies I bought in Canberra today!

pH@tTm@N and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So I built a track. I played on the track. Lots. To the point the controllers started to smell funky. And came to the realisation that it'd be much more fun to play with someone, or, at the least, have a lap timer :D

The XF is a beast at drifting! On the top right corner, if you hit it just right, it'll continue the drift right into the bottom right corner :D

Pain in the ass when I was actually trying to race myself, so had to reign it in. But so mcuh fun!

[​IMG]