Magic: The Gathering Arena

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Madengineer, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So open beta just commenced.
    Honestly it just seems like Hearthstone, but much better. It still has some pay to win mechanics (buying card packs and such). But it looks AMAZING graphically speaking.

2. neRok

neRok Member

I despise the UI and the animations, to the point that I haven't bothered with this game - and that's saying something considering I have over 1000 hours in Duels (and still play duels).

3. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

Started playing on Friday when the servers came up for Open Beta.

Been waiting for awhile for this. While it isn't MTGO, and probably won't impact to greatly on that platform, it should compete nicely with Hearthstone and possibly become popular with streamers.

Having the obvious troubles going infinite without spending any money, but then again I haven't even looked at modifying the starter decks yet.

Madengineer likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

They are so much better than Hearthstone though!

The tutorial is fairly good too!

5. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Still playing through it, and my god. The voicelines are brilliant!

6. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Was lucky enough to get a closed beta invite ages back now. Unfortunately the game is by far the most pay to win incarnation of mtg ever... which is saying a LOT. They want you to buy packs and pay for everything almost as though it is paper magic, but in return you get ccg pixels like hearthstone. It is disgraceful.

Overall ui/accessibiity and overall play isn't as good as eternal. At least valve's foray is keeping the trading that comes with silly high cost of entry.

It is definitely worth messing around with if you liked the duels products... but don't be fooled into thinking the game is actually f2p. By the time you grind a single decent deck, the season is over and a new set is out. That's not even accounting for the constant meta shifts throughout a season.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Didn't it all reset recently when it went from closed beta to open?

I'm trying it out now, because when I was at the prerelease for Guilds of Ravnica, we got a code to unlock a 'sealed event entry' whatever that is.

The whole pay to win sucks balls, but normal magic is like that.

I spent $150 on a deck in normal magic, and got absolutely CREAMED by a deck worth easily 10 times that. It happens.

I'm just gonna plop my stream here... :D

https://www.twitch.tv/made92

8. zbone

zbone Member

I am confused. So if I don't want to spend money, is it good or bad?
    Hearthstone was ok until level 15.

9. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

It's sill fun. It's still good, even if you don't spend money.

Nice that a couple here are still watching me! :D

So looking through the store, it doesn't actually seem too expensive.

It's very on par with Hearthstone.

In Hearthstone, you can buy 2 packs for roughly $4 USD, in Magic you can buy 12 packs for roughly $9 USD

You still also have the option to buy packs with in game earnt currency (gold).

You also start with 5 prebuilt decks in Arena, much like Hearthstone.

10. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

For those willing to buy a hundred or so packs every set (3 months), sure... sort of.

I'm just saying the game is not f2p, despite what it says. Hearthstone had much slower release schedule, plus much higher (and quicker to earn) daily rewards , such that you could play competitively, by just doing your daily each day. This did change a bit after a while (especially for late-comers trying to catch up), but I've been told it's becoming a bit more generous again. Generally, successful f2p games give you around $1-2 of value per hour for at least the first few hours per day. Magic arena is giving you around 40-50c.

For those paying, it is better, but not that much better. In magic arena, the cockblock of Mythic cards is much higher than Legendaries in HS. On top of that, in order to craft one, it takes 90 (yes, NINETY) "dusted" to the vault mythic dupes. Crafting cards almost doesn't exist as it stands. 1/25 of your mythics will be a wildcard you can use to craft... plus maybe 1 vault per set if you're spending a heap?

So the game isn't for f2p grinders because it isn't feasible.
    The game also isn't for invested pro's/collectors... because why spend hundreds of dollars on cards in a CCG environment when you already have them actually holding value in a TCG environment (paper or mtgo/modo)

WOTC is aiming for the middle range of hearthstone fish, that are happy to spend a couple of hundred bucks each set to mess around with new cards but not really care all that much beyond that. I honestly don't think a digital version of MTG can keep that crowd happy. The game is too complex, and contains way too many feelbad moments for many to move over from hearthstone I think.

edit: one thing I just wanted to add in. Hearthstone was ok on initial release, as the small card pool and long time between set additions meant the dailies kept up easily for an f2p grinder. As it released more sets, and the time between sets and adventures lessened, it very quickly became unsustainable for f2p. Magic Arena is WAY more stingy than hearthstone was. I don't think every game needs to be competitive f2p viable, but this is the route they're taking, and they're going up against established competitors like HS and EternalCCG, as well as upcoming titles like Artifact and GwentHC.. and they're doing it with no advantages for the consumer. In true WOTC fashion, their response is "Go fuck yourselves, we're Magic! (tm)"

11. neRok

neRok Member

If Arena's main format is "standard", then old cards will rotate out, solving that problem. This wasn't the case in Duels though, as they never took cards out.

I actually liked Duels hybrid format though, where you could only use 1xcopy of a mythic, 2x of a rare, etc. This made it more casual, and the decks were a bit more varied. Kept things interesting.

Arena's draft format might be good for casuals wanting some f2p fun. Too bad the animations and UI wreck it :upset:

12. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Right now the oldest cards you can get is Ixalan.

Their sealed guilds of Ravnica is really good. Chance to win cards and stuff.

Also, what's your problem with not liking their UI or animations? Seriously. Their animations rock.

13. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Unfortunately not, because the large set sizes and the constant rotation combine with the low rewards to create a situation where it isn't possible for the typical digital ccg f2p grinder (from say hearthstone or eternal) is able to keep up.

There was a great post on the subreddit that really explained in detail why the hearthstone model doesn't really work for magic, especially not in the typical super-stingy-wotc way it was implemented. I was really looking forward to magic arena for a long time, and I don't want to just be a naysayer here... so I'll leave the Link here for those interested.

14. neRok

neRok Member

Animations are lame, waste time, repetitive, and unrestrained. Nothing positive about them. Look at this crap. Swoosh, zap, zap, zap, bang, bang, bang. All that for 2 cards played.

15. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yes... It's also a game...

16. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So still super enjoying this game. Will easily spend a good hour or two playing every evening after work.

BUT, and this is a huge BUT... The player base is sooo fucking toxic, it's unbelievable. There needs to be a voting system in place or something. You have people abusing the time down feature. Dicking you around after they know they have lost. It's so much worse than in games like hearthstone, because there you only get 1 time down, and that's it. Here, you cycle through at least 3.

17. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So anyway... Still playing this game. Haven't spent any money, but have remained quite competitive. Got some really good top tier decks, made super easy with the use of wild cards. Seem to come against the same fucking decks. All. The. Time.

It's rather unfortunate, but still an awesome game. Easily playing 1-3 hours each night. It has even given mer a lot of ideas about what I could do with paper, as it is much easier to grab cards and test online.

18. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

How long have you been playing, and what top tier decks do you have built? Do you have an mtgarena.pro link?

The jump between the New Player Experience and constructed even seems pretty meh for a f2p player, so I'm curious the path you took (U tempo?)

19. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Stompy, Dimir, can't remember the name of the 3rd :D Been playing since open launched. Constructed is pretty meh. Easy to get screwed there (either fantastic decks or super shitty draws - the amount of time I've been absolutely mana screwed is ridiculous.

20. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Neither of those are "top tier" though? Stompy is ladder only sorta jank... and dimir would be t1.5 at absolute best (though that's fine for constructed events I guess if it is actually properly fleshed out).
    Well most people going into those queues would be running t1 decks. What makes it meh though? Mana issues is just mtg... probably 1/3 games at least will be decided by one or the other player being flooded/screwed.