Magic: The Gathering Arena

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Madengineer, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Bauhaus1919

Bauhaus1919 Member

GOTY 2018 for me

Madengineer likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Top enough. Will give some more details later tonight when I get back on.

3. garetz

garetz Member

I havent played magic since 2003, and i can say mtga has got me back into it, so i guess it did its job for wotc, that was propably the purpose of this game for them, to get old players back into the paper card game.

Madengineer likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Nah it was a better stronger attempt at an online presence. Both mtgo and mtg duels were a flop, and wotc were losing members to hearthstone.

5. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

After my first few weeks of npe + dailies, I found myself with a bit of spare time (gf away on family holiday :lol:), so I spent all my wildcards and bought my first deck. Budget RDW, with keld instead of experimental frenzy... and the grind began!

Over the past 11 days I've grinded constructed event for a few hours a night. In just over 400 games of CE, with a 68%+ winrate, at just under 5 mins per game (thank fuck for aggro!) I'm still nowhere near a proper second t1 deck. Now, that isn't to say my collection hasn't grown. It has, massively! I've got a tonne of meta-relevant cards from my Constructed Event ICR (Individual Card Rewards) winnings. Viviens, Ajanis, Dream eaters, Dual lands of all sorts, etc etc, and I'm now up to 25k gold.

The thing is, CE is really good at building your overall collection, but not so great at building a new DECK. My rewards are so spread between different colors and sets and archetypes, that to build a new deck is still going to cost me a bunch of wildcards. Wildcards that do not come from CE at all.

Now I get the daily rewards still (the 15 wins actually come much easier in CE than in regular play I find), and that still nets me 15+ packs a week, which in turn give a bonus couple of rare wildcards... but it is pretty slow going overall.

I think if I kept up this crazy grind, there would be a tipping point in a few weeks or so, where I'd go from having 30% of each deck, and needing to spend a heap of wc's to finish it, to having ~80% of each deck, and just needing a few here and there. At the same time, though. The value of the ICR rewards would be dropping significantly, as I'd be hitting a lot of 5th copies.

Overall, due to the value of the ICR's, the game is actually pretty generous to players that can maintain a decent winrate. If wizards strips them like they tried to recently (before the insane reddit backlash), the game will go from reasonable to f2p, to completely terrible. It sits somewhere between the generosity of eternalccg, and the stinginess of Hearthstone currently. If they remove ICR's (even if they fix 5th copy stuff), the game will be way worse than hearthstone and impossible to f2p effectively.

6. garetz

garetz Member

The missing part of filling your collection is doing drafts, thats where you get the choices for what your missing, and additional pack rewards if you do well, that adds to your pack openings and wildcards. even at 0 wins at 5k gold you get 3 packs from the draft itself, at least 1 pack maybe 2 as rewards and the premium currency of gems. If you get infinite in drafting you will fill your collection in no time. the 15 dailies and constructed icr rewards are meant to start your collection, drafts are meant to finish it.

Madengineer likes this.
  7. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

I got into this - tried MTGO and played paper on and off since 2001 - now I have time restrictions and have found this to be a good compromise between the two formats. With the use of wildcards was able to build a pretty decent deck. I'll keep playing. great to have a game or two each night. Its certainly not expensive to get in for the average person.

Madengineer likes this.
  8. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Yes and no.

If you're looking to build some top tier decks, draft is unfortunately worse than buying packs unless you rare draft and/or have a good win rate. I'm generally pretty good at sealed, but I don't have the experience to get high winrate in draft. The reason is due to gold and time efficiency. Unless you're almost infinite, drafts will run you out of gold/gems, while getting you zero wildcards.

If you're looking to just finish your collection, then draft can be decent, as you get more vault progress and the opportunity to raredraft. Overall it still isn't great unless you're good though.

edit: forgot to mention, the new "Draft Bot Personalities" seem to mean less raredraftning possible according to initial reports

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Madengineer likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I prefer buying packs. Because at the minimum, you'll at least get a few wild cards.

Smoothie likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Going to shamelessly copy up my twitch stream:

https://www.twitch.tv/MadE92

No audio etc. Just showing the game and my drunken shenanigans with a Sap deck!

11. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Downloaded this game over the weekend to try out. I played a lot of MTG back in the day, and have also had a fair crack at Hearthstone over the years. Gotta say this game is pretty fun! I spoiled myself and got the 4.99 once off starter pack thing (2500 gems and 5 packs) - mostly so I can enter a few drafts for something to do.
    While it can be very pay to play, the amount of cards you can unlock without paying is pretty good. You get quests to unlock new decks, you get packs and cards as rewards. My main issue right now is when I come up against someone who runs down the clock nearly every turn to drag out their loss.

Madengineer likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yes, those people are the worst. Unfortunately it seems to be happening more and more.

13. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

I know sometimes it happens because you don't realise the clock is waiting for you in your opponents turn because of a creature ability or something, but you can quickly tell when it was an accidental thing vs them doing it every damn time. Thankfully I have twitch up while playing to just watch a stream until the clock runs down, jokes on them.

Madengineer likes this.