Magic the gathering - thinking about getting into it again

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by shiny1, Nov 14, 2006.

1. afcca

afcca Member

Tell me more about this pucatrade thing. It looks marvelous for me as I've gone full collector mode trying to finish my sets of the older things and don't really want much of the newer stuff I have.

How long have you used it? Tell me more my friend!

2. pongie

pongie Member

see the thread I started on good games forum here

3. afcca

afcca Member

Haha I'm Shivan Hellkite on there, didn't make the connection in your username. Thanks for the info though, I'm going to give it a go, I have so much stuff to offlload. Nothing of crazy value though.

4. GTR27

GTR27 Member

I have literally thousands of magic cards, with some rare and unique cards. Lots of dual lands (around 15 or so of various mixes of colours), strip mines, lots of old stuff (no black lotus unfortunately). From what I gather from some of the kids at uni, pretty much all my decks would be banned now days, with heavy restrictions (like only 1 strip mine etc).

I'm sure it would be worth a fortune (I took a bunch of "rare" stuff to uni once and the guys reckoned the ~50 cards I took would easy be worth $1K) but what's a good way of cataloging and selling the cards? I dont want to get shafted, but i'm not sure what is worth lots and what isnt now days....

EDIT: example

Random Spells
    - most in mint in sleeve
    Hymn to tourach (at least x8) (black)
    Incinerate (lots and lots and lots of these) (red)
    Drain Life (x4 or x8) (black)
    Swords to Plowshares x 8 or so(white)
    Force of will x2 (one mint, one played) (blue)
    Wrath of God x4(white)
    Balance x 2 (white)
    Exploration (green)
    Birds of paradise x4 (green) -3 mint 1 played
    Sylvan Library x1 (green) - mint

Artifacts all mint in sleeve
    Jesters Cap x3 (artifact)
    Volrath's Stronghold x1 (artifact)
    Mishra's Factory x4 (artifact) - 4th or alternate 4th ed not sure
    Nevinyrrals Disk x 3

Lands (some mint, others played)
    Savannah x1 (dual white/green land)
    Taiga x2 (dual red/green land)
    Underground sea x1 (dual black/blue land)
    Badlands x1 (red/black land)
    Strip mine x 7 (most mint some good)
    Maze of ith x 2 (mint)

That's in a pile i took to uni. I know I have a sol ring somewhere, and a swag more dual lands......but they would be buried somewhere in my collection.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  5. afcca

afcca Member

If you'd be willing to wait I'd be interested in buying the whole lot. You wouldn't get face value for everything unless you split it up and sold singles, but you can still make a fair bit off whatever you have.

What you've listed at face value is about $900, which if you split it you could easily make. Personally I'm not after the duals or the FoWs but everything else (and possibilities) has sparked my interest. It's really up to you what you want to do with things, prices are readily available online so you can do your own research but you need to consider if selling the collection as a bulk, you would be lucky to get 60-70% of the face value of just your top cards, most of the junk is essentially free most of the time.

Without seeing the full collection it would be hard to make an offer for the entire thing, but as I said if you can wait till after christmas I can always drive down (I'm in toowoomba) and have a look and make you an offer to your face.

If you want some help feel free to contact me through IM and I can discuss what you should do to make the most out of your collection :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  6. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Cheers, I might have a look at the rest of the piles and piles of cards I have and see what's what. Like I said, not really sure of value of items (i knew FoW was worth a bit) so I might have more gold hidden away. I lost a folder that contained far more rare things than what I listed :(

Hit me up after xmas, they are pretty much just gathering dust atm...

7. afcca

afcca Member

You could always just drop the whole lot with a heap of photos on eBay but I know for a fact you will get even less that way. I've picked up many a bargain on ebay including a 20,000 card collection worth over $5000 for $250 =\

I'll send you a PM after christmas and we'll go from there :)

8. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

I'm in a similar position, looking to shift a old pile of cards...

I just spent a long night sorting through them. It felt like I must've shuffled them all before putting them in storage, back in 2000....

I used deckbox to log them all, since it shows you estimated values:
    http://deckbox.org/sets/611184

It was quite fun trying to guess what things would be worth... Got a heck of a shock on the Tabernacle, worth about 20x each what I'd guessed. I only traded for them because they were funny in multiplayer games... It seems they've been recognised as being a bit more than fun, in the years since.

I lolled when one of my basic lands turned out to be rather valuable (the mountain they forgot to remove from the Arabian Nights set.)

Top 25 cards:
    1 Ancestral Recall (Unlimited Edition)
    1 Time Walk (Unlimited Edition)
    3 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale (Legends)
    4 Invoke Prejudice (Legends)
    1 Karakas (Legends)
    1 Berserk (Unlimited Edition)
    1 Mountain (Arabian Nights)
    1 Transmute Artifact (Antiquities)
    1 Drop of Honey (Arabian Nights)
    3 Living Plane (Legends) (this + tabernacle = :D )
    1 Jihad (Arabian Nights)
    2 Orcish Oriflamme (Limited Edition Alpha) (I loved these, half the mana cost of the beta+ versions)
    1 Maze of Ith (The Dark)
    4 Land Tax (Legends)

I was lazy categorising the condition. There's a lot of NM stuff labelled as LP. It's pretty subjective, I boxed making most of those decisions as 'too hard' :D

Any advice on the best way to go around shifting this stuff would be appreciated. I'll probably talk to a local store, but I doubt I'd get good value from selling them that way. At least 75% of the value of the set is in the top 50 or so cards (out of 3522 cards), so I figure I'm probably better off trying to shift them individually? But where and how, I don't know :/

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  9. afcca

afcca Member

It really depends on how much you're chasing. You could talk to a local shop as you mentioned, but you'd be getting only close to 50% of the value if not lower, and they probably won't take the whole collection. eBay is a good place to offload the entire thing, but you'll probably only get the value of the big cards and the rest will be fodder that someone just pawns off somewhere. If you want the best value, as I suggested to GTR, ebay off the top cards in individual lots and throw the rest on ebay or gumtree for a price to just get rid of them, you'll get the most that way.

10. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

I'm not sure I'd dare risk the really high value cards on ebay trades, it's not my idea of a trustworthy environment :sick: (or that a buyer would on me... guy randomly starting to post $500+ value cards out of nowhere, aha)

11. afcca

afcca Member

PayPal insures up to $10,000 if I remember correctly, it's by far the safest way to deal online. I've personally bought items up to $800 on ebay without problems, even from Chinese sellers, but I admit I've gotten worried a few times. But seeing how PayPal has me covered I don't worry about it too much.

The thing is, as the seller you can dictate how you want to be paid, whether it be paypal and get the cover or simply opt for direct deposit. Until you have the funds, you never send the cards, and with high value things it's vital to have a good trustworthy form of postage, which is also dictated by you.

If you still don't like the idea of selling on ebay, you're really only left with face to face transactions and places like gumtree, and in my experience gumtree (even though it's run by ebay) is a much worse place to deal with things.

I still stand by what I said, you'll get the most value out of selling the top 20 or so cards individually rather than trying to sell everything as a whole. Sure, the face value of your collection is over $6k but you'll never ever get that for the whole lot. You could get pretty close to the face value for those 20 top cards though.

12. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I'ma say now, it is very doubtful you'd get that much for it...I know it says that's it's value, but only extreme collectors would buy one of that worth.

13. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

Thing is with ebay/paypal, is it's slanted in favour of buyer. Any buyer can turn around and go 'nope, not received' and as the seller you've got no recourse (even if you sent registered post.) I'd pretty much feel like I was posting cash :lol:

Very true about the splitting. I guess I'll take my time and see how much interest word of mouth gets me :)

Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction when I saw the prices of the very top cards. Buuuuut, when I look at some international shop buylists, they do come pretty close, so the prices are real. I just have to match up my cards with some of those extreme collectors ;)

14. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Which is harder than you think. Lol

Like I said. They'll exist, but a lot of them will only deal with people that are 'in the business' so to speak.

But hey. If ya manage to pull it off, more power to ya!

15. afcca

afcca Member

It can be slanted towards the buyer, but if you send it registered or by courier and request a signature on delivery, they can't fight it as you have proof they received the item unless they want to try and claim it wasn't contained in the package or whatnot. I don't know how much that happens, but it's never happened to me. To each his own though.

16. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

No no, I'm trying to have less Power (Nines), not more of them. Ba-dum-tish

17. smick707

smick707 Member

Joe the condition will play a major factor in the prices you get, if you go to a store they will classify anything below 10 - 5 bucks as bulk. The best thing to do is sell the major prices individually then do the rest as a bulk sale.

18. CapnBloodbeard

CapnBloodbeard Member

I have to say, from starting to get into wargaming and seeing how big the Magic scene is, almost tempting me to get into it :p

19. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

You should. It's pretty awesome.

Just don't play the BS steam version of it...

20. CapnBloodbeard

CapnBloodbeard Member

Hahaha, that's the only version I'm playing at the moment.

Played about 15 years ago in high school.