Magnet power Please correct me if I'm in the wrong area

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by sonick_25, Sep 1, 2021.

1. sonick_25

sonick_25 Member

I'm wanting to know if i can power a light with magnets and wire. seen it on Youtube.
    if I cannot please tell me. If I can How do I know what size magnet and or strength and how much electrical wire or copper I need to power it.

cheers

2. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Moving conductor in a static magnetic field and/or moving magnet passing over a static conductor produces electron flow - basic principle that makes electric motors work, or generates (heh) the the working load that the Megamonkeys handle.

So what exactly do you want to do or achieve here? Demonstrate to yourself that everything you watch on the Interwebbies isn't full of lies 'n heresy, or make something to suit an application you have?

JSmithDTV likes this.
  3. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

For a 1w to 5w LED should be easy or 1000kw studio lights

4. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

What you are effectively asking is how to design an electric Motor/Generator.

The true answer is :
    1. Got to this website https://www.cdu.edu.au/study
    2. Search for an Electrical Engineering
    3. Find suitable Degree
    4. Sign up and graduate from said degree
    5. Profit

Now jokes aside. If you really want to make a Generator you may want to go to a book store focused on academic and technical books and see if you can find a descent Electrical engineering book and start reading. Its very complex.
    That or go to a dedicated Electrical engineering forum and you might find an expert who can help.

If its just for Lols and you want to light up a single small LED then just get whatever you can scavenge from old HDDs and random wires and you can most likely get there with a bit of trial and error.

5. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Don't worry about magnets... just use potatoes;

[​IMG]

;)

JSmith

6. OP
    OP
    sonick_25

sonick_25 Member

Just a standard house light bulb. I know magnets have a strength/power measured in KG.
    and copper wire have different thickness.
    I live in the NT and its coming on Wet season we get black outs. would be good if I could have a few lights around the place that don't run out

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  7. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

Lol good luck powering a house light bulb with a diy generator. Plus even if you did some how pull off building the generator, you'd need to move the magnet constantly to generate the R.M.F

May I suggest a candle and matches?

JSmithDTV likes this.
  8. alch

alch Member

lol glhf.

9. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Standard incandescent light bulb? You'll need to look at a serious generator of some sort, either petrol/diesel powered or hand cranked. And without some serious wiring changes in the house you won't be able to run the bulbs currently sitting up on the ceiling, 'coz you'll need to isolate and splice into the mains house wiring. Best of Luck with that...

Reckon you'll be far better setting up some LED lighting (COBs and/or strips), decent batteries (wet/dry cell, lithiums etc etc etc) and a solar and/or mains powered charging setup to keep them full before the power goes out. When we've had blackouts here ourselves (metro BrizVegas, courtesy of hard lighting strikes), with the Frankensteined LED torches and all the 12 volt LED strips I've got and a spare car battery I've been the only house in the street fully lit up... :)

Else for a single light source mebbe ponder a gas lantern that'll bolt onto an LPG bottle. That way with a hot plate or BBQ grill to suit you'll also have a source of heat for cooking hot meals or boiling the kettle while you're waiting for the power to come back on.

Note that you've already got a decent battery charger for topping 12 volt batteries under the bonnet of your car/truck as well, and regulator boards that'll run off that for charging 18650 lithium batteries (eg all the ones I've retro-engineered into all my torches etc ) are cheap as nowadays. I'd also ponder having a off-mains charger setup for your mobile phone and tablets etc as well, and even a low-voltage radio if you tend to lose mains for long periods of time.

10. OP
    OP
    sonick_25

sonick_25 Member

cheers guys

11. havabeer

havabeer Member

you will legit become a billionaire if you can solve this problem.

solar power and a battery are your best bets. or even a car battery that you just charge up by running your car for a bit.