Magnifier/lamp

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by power, Aug 6, 2014.

1. power

power Member

Now before anyone moves it I know it's a what/where but just take it easy!!

Looking for a magnifyer/lamp for a gift for a model nut and am looking for something that's not going to cost the earth and more importantly is not shit.

Been looking on ebay but just can't really tell without any knowledge of my own.

Requirements

- probably an extendible arm something that you can twist around all over the shop would be nice for ease of use (would prefer a table clamp style).

- decent magnification

- nice bright lights (recommendations here are LED good enough??)

- Aus stock, no pick-up necessary but for returns this would be ideal.

- budget, let's say under $200 open to cheaper bargains though.

- anything I may have forgotten.

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Look at the Daylight range, but they are not cheap, not sure what "the earth" means to you....

3. apsilon

apsilon Member

4. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I'll have a search, thanks.

Looking now, so they have a fluoro not LED - can anyone comment on fluoro v LED?

https://au.daylightcompany.com/product/5-magnifying-lamp/

Saw the two Jaycar ones they look "ok" not entirely convinced on these desk lamp style ones. Might help to see it in person at the store.

5. apsilon

apsilon Member

Depends on if you have somewhere to permanently place it. I don't so the desktop style works better for me as I can just bring it out when I actually need it. If they have a dedicated workspace set up then I'd agree the clamp on type is probably better suited.

6. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

good call, it's a gift for a family member and he seems really keen on the desk clamp and big arm style.

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

The Daylight lamps are not just the same as all fluoro, they are a particular lumen (or something).

They do have some led ones on their site, but I don't know how they compare to the fluoro one. All I know is that if you want to see, get one.

8. noober69

noober69 Member

my 2c is that fluoro globes really shit me. The light flickers at 50hz, which is ok in some circumstances with natural light in there as well but for close work led may be better.

9. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

So to throw cats in with the pigeons the aforementioned lamps use a "Naturalight" which is not really a thing like Retina display is not a thing

Does anyone know what it actually means?

Ok bit of poking around the website - this Naturalight thing is fluro https://au.daylightcompany.com/category/bulbs-tubes/ probably just a different temperature or something.

Also the specs don't stack up next to some of the eBay ones I've seen cheaper - any comments?

https://au.daylightcompany.com/product/5-magnifying-lamp/

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-Ligh...H_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item23362e3910&_uhb=1

also haha, the specs say you can attack it on the table and life lingers, those crazy Chinese.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  10. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

11. BigDave

BigDave Member

12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

13. pelmen

pelmen Member

14. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Thanks for the info, I'm still on the lookout this has turned into a Christmas gift so should be purchased sometime soon.

15. broccoli

broccoli Member

Further to what Pelmen has said, I can confirm that the daylight lamps are the best for working by and if you get one with a clamp, make sure it's going onto something really sturdy, they are surprisingly heavy. I have one for doing drawing and it was too heavy to use on the table easel, it is ok on the humungeous studio easel. In regular light, even bright light, you can't tell the difference between certain shades, but with the daylight lamp you can tell the difference and they are also the "right" colour.

I also agree with Pelmen about the magnifier being combined with the light. As it's a different hobby to mine, I don't know whether ALL of it is teeny weeny stuff, but if some of it isn't, I prefer a separate magnifier because I find it annoying and harder to do things if EVERYTHING is magnified. It's good when you need to "zoom" onto something you can't see properly, but to have on all the time? I don't like it. Also, sometimes it isn't that you need magnification, you just need to see it properly, and with the daylight lamp, you can. Before I got a decent light, I was always using torches and a magnifying glass to see things, but with a decent light, I didn't need the magnifying glass.

The Daylight people have one that clips on separately, I'd consider getting the lamp and the clip on magnifier, instead of the magnifying lamp.

16. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

www.ebay.com.au/itm/201203022307

I've got this, it's badass. Very large lens, 5 diopter magnification, the LEDs are great supplemental lighting.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QM3546

I've also got this, great light but I needed a higher magnification. The top arm also shat itself after minimal use, got a new spring at bunnings. The larger lens on the top one really helps with increasing your work area, the jaycar model was a little too small for my taste and the 3 diopter lens left me leaning over all the time.

I also agree with what the others mentioned - room lighting for a work area is incredibly important, especially when using magnification.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  17. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

That eBay one looks awesome.

18. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Thanks again for the link to that eBay item, I bought one last week and it shipped in no time at all - fantastic eBay service as it's shipped from NSW for free. Which for such a big package is awesome.

The light itself and magnifier well you are right very big magnifier and great lighting.

Mounting seems ok, will only be able to really tell when it's mounted.

That's Christmas for that person sorted, thanks again to everyone. :thumbup:

19. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

What was that unit called make/model?!?

I would like one for stripping down and or upgrading laptops, chromebooks, mobiles and even PC as I'm getting older.

I would like it to have mains power with a flexible neck prefer 10x and a light source.

I am currently looking at;
    66 LED Lighting Desktop Flexible Magnifying Lamp 5X Magnifier Jewellery beauty
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/66-LED-...025791?hash=item261dc23bbf:g:fhkAAOSw~-ZcmutE

40 LED Lighting Desktop Table Desk Flexible Magnifying Lamp 5X-10X Magnifier
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40-LED-...649532?hash=item41ebc8573c:g:cZAAAOSw899bhguG

Any advice and or recommendations would be appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019