Mail AV & Spam Recommendation

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Rea:Per, Jan 27, 2016.

1. ex4n

ex4n Member

We are using mailguard and very happy with that.
    They even call and email us to let us know if some kind of zero day threat has made it through to a few mailboxes before it is identified, we can then pro-actively contact customers who may have received that email, or just delete it from their mailbox. Doesn't happen often which is also good.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Oh, I forgot about MailGuard.

I set up a few small businesses with them years back. Great AV and anti-SPAM mob, very proactive. Best of all, support is here in Australia, which keeps the SMB guys happy.

3. ex4n

ex4n Member

I can think of 3 times it's happened within the last 2-3 months, usually affecting 2-8 users out of 1200+, not sure how often other providers would have this kind of threat make it through and or if they do anything about it. We don't use them for any archiving\retention.

4. Daemon

Daemon Member

No system is ever 100% effective. Ever.

Pro-active notifications isn't something I've seen with many other vendors in that space, so it's an interesting point of difference.
    Right from the website, it states they have longer retention if you have an agreement with them. Seems quite reasonable.

5. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

Mimecast here. Upgraded from on prem Sophos Mail Appliance and Enterprise Vault. Mimecast is a big improvement on Sophos for spam and AV etc.

6. bigblueit

bigblueit New Member

+1
    Mimecast is particularly good if you have Office 365 as its one of the few that can still transact mail in the event Office 365 is down

7. b00n

b00n Member

upgraded from sophos to trend (was included with AV Package) but moving to mimecast due to o365 deployment

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

ahahahahahahhahahaa

omfg

ahahhahahahahahahaha

you can't be serious.

9. BLeR

BLeR Member

Still run them (and their web proxies). Averaged 1.9million messages per day for the past month, drops about 99.4% due to spam/malware etc.

Running it now for around 8 years and with hand on heart not one single piece of malware, AusPost cryptolocker scam etc has ever made it through.

I rate it highly, but am itching to check out ProofPoint due to some of their more advanced features.

Back to the OP, a few of our other domains are behind .Cloud. 3 x instances of AusPost scam email has made it through since November which resulted in two Cryptolocker outbreaks plus near daily attacks of CEO scam emails (you know the ones, pretending to be CEO and asking someone in finance to perform a wire transfer). We are in constant talk with the Symantec SOC and haven't gotten anywhere.

I find the granularity of .Cloud to be poor compared to what we can do with the IronPort units but you get what you pay for. .Cloud is cheap, IronPort/ProofPoint certainly isn't, but what price do you pay for a secure environment (and protecting a few million customers data).

If I were you I'd look at the cloud offerings that IronPort & ProofPoint offer, might be reasonable for 60 odd mailboxes. Whoever you end up using, just make sure your backups are good. No vendor will be perfect so better to be safe than sorry!

10. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I look after a Cisco ESA C170 which is the new name for Ironport.

Seems to work pretty well, we get virtually no spam and I don't really have to touch it often at all. In true cisco fashion pretty much everything is an additional licence though.

It's let a few malicious word macros through but they've all apparently been stopped by our SRPs. I havent had any in the past couple of months though.

11. tin

tin Member

We've not had any through AVG - not sure if it's a real good metric though. Mail volume, number blocked, etc would be a better gauge I think.

12. OP
    OP
    Rea:Per

Rea:Per Member

AppRiver

Has anyone had any experience with AppRiver?

Telstra is taking their sweet time in getting back to me and i got reccomended to take a look at AppRiver.

just setup a free 30 day trial account.

13. juggernaut88

juggernaut88 Member

Have been playing with Sophos Cloud of late, its been pretty good so far.

14. SquarkyD

SquarkyD Member

I'm running Sophos PureMessage and have had great results. Exchange 2016 Support is still in the works tho which is a PITA

15. NSanity

NSanity Member

please dad. stop fucking running message filtering on your exchange server. it makes baby jesus cry

16. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

Im not sure puremessage even exists anymore, but when it did you don't have to run it on the exchange server.

email appliance is the name of their newer version, and yeah it lets heaps through.

17. tin

tin Member

No... It only makes the IT people responsible for Exchange cry. And only when it's not working right, which is probably far too often.

We do run local scanning here, aswell as the external one... But we don't use Exchange.

18. waksimus

waksimus Member

So where would your recommendations go for email filtering?

I used to use ironport back before Cisco bought them and they excellent.

Im thinking to trial messagelabs/symantec.cloud?
    anyone know pricing?

we're a 250+ userbase with in-house exchange.

19. NSanity

NSanity Member

mimecast is the current industry leader.

We're dumping ~130 accounts (as in mail servers) w/ SMG/Symantec.Cloud for them.

20. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Why?

We'll be looking at alternatives soon, as Intel/TPG/Mcafee have EOL'd MXLogic from the start of next year, What does Mimecast give you that current ones don't?