MailMarshal

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Munity, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Munity

Munity Member

Hi Guys,

Just wanted some oppinions on spam filtering, i've used mail marshal before at a previous company, and found it worked really well.

Put a trial in place now for it, looks to be working great, but havent seen much activity on the product since M86 was bought out by trustwave.

i haven't done a whole lot of searching, prefer not to use symantec, ive had issues with it before...

Any other suggestions?

2. Gecko

Gecko Member

How maily mailboxes are you looking at?

<50 or so, I'd use a hosted setup like Mailguard (no association, just a long-term happy customer). >50 I'd look at putting in an IronPort or similar.

Both are reasonably "set and forget" and do a decent job of filtering.

3. OP
    OP
    Munity

Munity Member

i think im roughly in the middle here, got about 45 users, id love to have a ironport in house, but cant seem to find any pricing, last time i thought they were 10k+ (someone please correct me :p)

4. roger895

roger895 Member

The last time we got pricing to renew our IronPort license/support was about $7k.

Ended up going with Forefront Online Protection for Exchange.

The main selling point for us was its price. Free as part of our Microsoft Agreement.

easy to setup too.

5. azron

azron Member

Would you want physical or a virtual appliance?

Sophos has two distinct options, a dedicated spam filter or a utm which is also capable of web filtering. Both come in various form factors and as virtual images.

Otherwise, what about open source?

Distrowatch lists various options...

Other than spam, what do want to achieve? Content filtering, encryption, anti-malware scanning etc...

Thoughts?

6. OP
    OP
    Munity

Munity Member

ideally we would want anti-spam anti-malware link scanning etc. physical / virtual i have no preference, we have resources to have virtual but having a dedicated box dosent turn me off.

Whats sophos pricing like ?

7. Swathe

Swathe (Banned or Deleted)

We run Sophos Puremessage on our exchange server, I'm happy with it. Our pricing is pretty good though because we are a not for profit.

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've set up Mailguard at a couple of small businesses now on recommendation from a fellow OCAUer (I forget who, but thank you whoever you are).

The business owners couldn't be happier. Cheap rates, and not a single SPAM, virus, false positive or false negative in years.

All of the businesses in question were completely non-technical as well (and no tech staff on site), so a "set and forget" solution suits them perfectly.

9. OP
    OP
    Munity

Munity Member

i like the idea of a appliance, from the (very) brief reading, the puremessage sits on the exchange server? id prefer to keep it separate.

I've looked into them, but they seem VERY Expensive, compared to the mail marshal quote I've got. Waiting on pricing for a Sophos virtual appliance pricing before i pull the trigger.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
  10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

As mentioned by others, if you've got around the 50 user mark and some sort of IT staff on site, then Mailguard as a service probably doesn't work out as cost effective as some sort of appliance would.

11. OP
    OP
    Munity

Munity Member

Ok thanks - any other suggestions to have a look at except mail marshal / sophos / symantec? (anything decent anyway :p)

12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

**NEVER MIND** old man comprehension skills failing.

13. NiRdoC

NiRdoC Member

Keep in mind that appliances usually have a yearly subscription you have to pay for, on top of the 7 odd thousand you pay for it initially.

I'd go for a hosted option for a company of that size, if the company expands then drop in an appliance.

14. Swathe

Swathe (Banned or Deleted)

You can get it in appliance form as well

15. power

power Member

have used MailMarshal in the past and liked it.

Currently using Symantec's Cloud offering, tbh it's pretty good.

16. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

You should have an AV on the Exchange server as well, it will help with messages sent locally.

I run pure message on exchange servers and Mail Marshall in the dmz at one clients site. At another they are running a symantec offering in a vm which seems to work well.

17. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

We are running mailmarshal 6.8 in an environment of about 60 users. Mailmarshal goes through about 20000 outgoing and 2000 incoming email each day. We rarely get spam/malware through email. There are between 0-5 false positive in the suspect folders each day. But most of the time there isn't any. Most of the false positive comes from people talking smack to each other in their emails. I just leave those in the filter since it's rarely work related.

18. Gecko

Gecko Member

I think that was me :) If it wasn't I'll claim it anyway: ).

Remember to cost in your time to maintain <insert solution here> - yes Mailguard/IronPort etc is not the cheapest, but it works with very little effort. I know at my pay rate, even a couple of hours spent tinkering with something can rapidly change the landscape. And hey, I'm proud to admit I'm a lazy sysadmin - why put in human hours when I can get a machine to do it for me cheaper and better?

With regards to the 50 mailbox threshold I quoted above, that was based on some calculations I did about 9 months ago comparing Mailguard vs IronPort over a 3 year period (we run all hardware purchases on a 3 year cycle, adjust as necessary for your environment).

I have been since told that the Sophos product is worth a look as well, and is apparently very attractive price-wise, haven't evaled it myself yet though.

19. WolfenBits

WolfenBits Member

Give Untangle a go.
    I have a number of sites with Untangle installed in transparent bridge mode sitting behind the firewall doing SPAM filtering. Usually running on old P4 boxes with a couple of NICs. Uses spamassassin and does a pretty good job of it.

20. OP
    OP
    Munity

Munity Member

I've used that in the past and had hit and miss experiences, would rather not have something like that in this current business.

Im using mailmarshal now, find it great, but my problem is i dont want to dump a wod of cash into a product that looks like its dying. I cant see any development on the product since i last used it (3-5 yrs ago) there seems to be no reviews or any information about the product thats been created recently, so it makes me think that maybe the product is dying off.

Ive been in contact with Sophos, their email virtual appliance looks good, they've given me pricing for their UTM which works out cheaper then their email appliance, does anyone know if their UTM has the same anti-spam / malware etc. features as their dedicated virtual appliance?

Looking at Dell/Sonicwalls offering as well, but all these devices come in cheaper over 3 years then what mailguard has offered me. i understand the time concept of having to manage, but i would suspect (and mailmarshal has been) set and forget as it is.

Really interested in the sophos utm if its as good as what the email appliance looks like, has anyone used both of these - can comment?