mailordersausage's custom watercooling mod

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by MailOrderSausag, Dec 22, 2004.

1. MailOrderSausag

MailOrderSausag Member

latest updates at bottom of first post

ok, so i did some watercooling before, but had a small case, different (bad) design ideas, and all the like. it worked great, i made my own block, and was able to make a tbreda take 2.05 volts, and be cooled to 10 degrees above ambient. unfortunately, i had this big box with heatercore/pump/shroud/resevoir to lug around, connected to my box, so on and so forth.

time for more fun.

goals

1. diy at all cost
    2. high performance
    3. low cost
    4. showcase the cooling components. there's no reason to hide a heatercore. if you think it doesn't look good, then make it look good. some shiny orange paint outta make a heatercore look good.
    5. low noise
    6. it's gotta look good

i'm sick of listening to people who say that they paid $400+ for watercooling setups. this shouldn't be. this puppy is gonna perform at or above those systems for a fraction of the price, and be more fun than you can shake a dremel at. (i can shake a dremel at a LOT of fun)

here goes, first off, i'm gonna mount my heatercore in my new dragon case.
    picture gone

here's the case (front is off, if u couldn't tell)

enemy number one, hard drive cage mounting bracket thingy.
    picture gone

hard drive cage mounting bracket thingy was once held in place with rivets.
    picture gone

hard drive cage mounting bracket thingy is removed with my left hand.
    picture gone

here's where the heatercore is gonna go.
    picture gone

measure once, cut twice. yeah, that's it. this is the only time i measured anything in this project, and lemme tell ya, it sucked. i'm never measuring again. it didn't help, either.
    picture gone

big hole to stick heatercore in
    picture gone

after much, much dremeling, and not very much measuring, the damn thing finally fits.
    picture gone

this is after i dremelled a big hole in the front plastic thingy. word of caution, when u dremel plastic, u tend to melt/burn plastic, and breathe in fumes. i actually used a fan here, in addition to all the other safety equipment(by chance, i had my eyeglasses on this day, instead of contact lenses, so ha, i was being safe)
    picture gone

to be continued.....
    things to look forward to include,

.mounting heatercore with brackets
    .constructing shroud for heatercore exhaust fans - air will exhaust through side panels, bottom front corner, 120 mm fan on each side
    .putting wheels on the damn thing
    .putting 120 mm intake on bottom (need wheels for a little lift so i can suck air) and 120mm exhaust on top
    .wiring a fanbus for all fans
    .side panel window
    .front door window (you know the 'front door' on the antec/chieftec dragon cases? well, mine needs a damn window to my awesome lit-up ugly fanbus)
    .paint the damn thing orange. shiny, bright fruckin' orange. why? orange is cool. it's cooler than any other color. i need to fix my hair in the morning, so instead of getting a mirror, i'll just use my shiny awesome orange pc case to look at my awesome, awesome hair :Pirate: .

give me your comments, suggestions, and :thumbup: praise/ :thumbdn: ridicule, please

*******UPDATES START HERE*******

okay, after 6 mos. of no work, here's some more work! i finished the fan shroud, made out of foam board. i gave up work for a few months because i bought a piece of sheet metal, but it was too hard to cut, ,so i gave up. then i had a dream about foam board, which i used in an old model railroading project. light, inexpensive, sturdy, and super easy to cut with sharp exacto knife, it's the perfect material for what i need to do. also, make sure that your knife is sharp, semi-sharp knives make for super-awful cuts with foam board.

i also cut out a 120mm blowhole in top for sanyo-denki, and two 80mm exhaust holes.

the heater core will be exhausted by one 120mm sanyo denki, and 2 80mm fans, all 5-8-12v controlled.

now for pics!

blowhole on top
    [​IMG]

2x 80mm bottom HC exhaust
    [​IMG]

inside view
    [​IMG]

pic of shroud, oriented correctly, but outside of case
    [​IMG]

pic of setup, minus fans, but with hdd cage! it fits! i thought it wouldn't! *super happy luck fun bonus*
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  2. javascripterror

javascripterror Member

Yep, lookin good. What sorta pump are you going to use.

3. OP
    OP
    MailOrderSausag

MailOrderSausag Member

not sure about the pump yet. i like the danner pumps, though.

and for the block, my buddy has a cnc milling machine, so he's gonna be makin' the baseplate for me, outta copper. it's gonna have an inlet directly over the die, and fins/flow channels protruding from center radially, with two exit barbs. see how he made his cnc mill at www.sci-spot.com

^^great site, lots of fun stuff on it^^

4. phextwin

phextwin Member

I love it! It's ghetto tastic!!

Are you gonna paint the heatercore orange too?

5. OP
    OP
    MailOrderSausag

MailOrderSausag Member

yer darn right the heatercore is gonna be orange. i wanted to show off the cooling components, not hide them. and if u look at heatercores, the first .5cm - 1cm of the fins is soldered up, so if i paint that orange, it wouldn't really hurt the thermal transfer at all. as long as i keep the spray paint at a shallow angle, the paint won't get too far down.

6. OP
    OP
    MailOrderSausag

MailOrderSausag Member

i jb welded some brackets onto the sides of the heatercore to mount it securely on the front of the case. i don't have any nuts and bolts to fit the bracket. damn. lots of updates, new pics in seven days.
    :Pirate:

7. csbalkwill

csbalkwill Member

excellent work here, i have to do the same as soon as i can get my grubby little paws on a Storm G4, or if i miss that a G5 (missus will kill me). I only have this busted ass old dodgy case to use, but it will be good anyway.

also, thanks for the sig.

8. Arc

Arc Member

Looks fun MOS.

What time frame are you looking at to complete this project? Weeks? Months?

Locked on.

9. OP
    OP
    MailOrderSausag

MailOrderSausag Member

well, as for timeframe for this mod... i work seven days a week, and spend most of my spare time at my girlfriend's apt., but she's goin' to las vegas for a week (a week from now), so i plan to get the shroud/exhaust system in place, and maybe the bottom intake and top exhaust blowhole in place in that week.

timetable for waterblock..... umm..... i need to design it on autocad, so my buddy can g-code it into his cnc mill. (check out his cnc mill and other fun techno-interesting projects at www.sci-spot.com)

so, if i had to guess, i'd guess my case would be constructed and ready for painting on or about january 20th.

waterblock construction complete ....ummmmmm.... i'd bet $1 on 90 days from now. also, have to save up for parts for this beast too. still haven't decided if i want to keep my 9800pro (still awesome) or go nforce4 and a pci-E vga.

soo yeah, that's my plan.

thanks for the credit in yer sig.....

10. derelict_frog

derelict_frog Member

I cut the front out of mine for a rad to, mine wasn't as exact though, and did u cut through the plastic at the front too?

It looks like u have but wouldnt that be a bit ugly?

11. OP
    OP
    MailOrderSausag

MailOrderSausag Member

if i don't paint the heatercore, yes, it will be. but the heatercore will be painted to match the case (shiny orange)

also, i put function over looks, so not havin' anything in front of the heatercore fins to restrict airflow will be better for cooling. also, i want to showcase the heatercore, instead of hide it.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder, i know some people think that the front of a dragon case would look better than a painter heatercore, i think otherwise.

yes, i cut throught the plastic on the front.

12. derelict_frog

derelict_frog Member

Ok kool.

How are u planning to paint it btw, got any guides your going to follow?

As i wouldn't mind a new color sometime.

13. OP
    OP
    MailOrderSausag

MailOrderSausag Member

i'm gonna use this guide to paint my entire case with spray paint.

http://www.pc-workshop.net/articles/paint101/paint101-1.shtml

for the heatercore, i'm not going to be able to sand it, so i will have to make many coats of a lesser thickness than the rest of the case. also, i won't be able to use rubbing compound on the heatercore fins, so the fins will be a little dull compared to the case sides/top/face, where there is flat metal/plastic to work with.

i'm usin' bright orange.... real orange, not neon orange.
    orange=awesome
    neon orange=dumb

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  14. OP
    OP
    MailOrderSausag

MailOrderSausag Member

just got aluminum sheet metal from home depot today, will begin shaping the radiator exhaust ducting soon. pics to follow, this project is dragging along.

15. Arc

Arc Member

Hang in there MOS. :thumbup:

16. OP
    OP
    MailOrderSausag

MailOrderSausag Member

latest updates at bottom of first post

ok, so i did some watercooling before, but had a small case, different (bad) design ideas, and all the like. it worked great, i made my own block, and was able to make a tbreda take 2.05 volts, and be cooled to 10 degrees above ambient. unfortunately, i had this big box with heatercore/pump/shroud/resevoir to lug around, connected to my box, so on and so forth.

time for more fun.

goals

1. diy at all cost
    2. high performance
    3. low cost
    4. showcase the cooling components. there's no reason to hide a heatercore. if you think it doesn't look good, then make it look good. some shiny orange paint outta make a heatercore look good.
    5. low noise
    6. it's gotta look good

i'm sick of listening to people who say that they paid $400+ for watercooling setups. this shouldn't be. this puppy is gonna perform at or above those systems for a fraction of the price, and be more fun than you can shake a dremel at. (i can shake a dremel at a LOT of fun)

here goes, first off, i'm gonna mount my heatercore in my new dragon case.
    picture gone

here's the case (front is off, if u couldn't tell)

enemy number one, hard drive cage mounting bracket thingy.
    picture gone

hard drive cage mounting bracket thingy was once held in place with rivets.
    picture gone

hard drive cage mounting bracket thingy is removed with my left hand.
    picture gone

here's where the heatercore is gonna go.
    picture gone

measure once, cut twice. yeah, that's it. this is the only time i measured anything in this project, and lemme tell ya, it sucked. i'm never measuring again. it didn't help, either.
    picture gone

big hole to stick heatercore in
    picture gone

after much, much dremeling, and not very much measuring, the damn thing finally fits.
    picture gone

this is after i dremelled a big hole in the front plastic thingy. word of caution, when u dremel plastic, u tend to melt/burn plastic, and breathe in fumes. i actually used a fan here, in addition to all the other safety equipment(by chance, i had my eyeglasses on this day, instead of contact lenses, so ha, i was being safe)
    picture gone

to be continued.....
    things to look forward to include,

.mounting heatercore with brackets
    .constructing shroud for heatercore exhaust fans - air will exhaust through side panels, bottom front corner, 120 mm fan on each side
    .putting wheels on the damn thing
    .putting 120 mm intake on bottom (need wheels for a little lift so i can suck air) and 120mm exhaust on top
    .wiring a fanbus for all fans
    .side panel window
    .front door window (you know the 'front door' on the antec/chieftec dragon cases? well, mine needs a damn window to my awesome lit-up ugly fanbus)
    .paint the damn thing orange. shiny, bright fruckin' orange. why? orange is cool. it's cooler than any other color. i need to fix my hair in the morning, so instead of getting a mirror, i'll just use my shiny awesome orange pc case to look at my awesome, awesome hair :Pirate: .

give me your comments, suggestions, and :thumbup: praise/ :thumbdn: ridicule, please

*******UPDATES START HERE*******

okay, after 6 mos. of no work, here's some more work! i finished the fan shroud, made out of foam board. i gave up work for a few months because i bought a piece of sheet metal, but it was too hard to cut, ,so i gave up. then i had a dream about foam board, which i used in an old model railroading project. light, inexpensive, sturdy, and super easy to cut with sharp exacto knife, it's the perfect material for what i need to do. also, make sure that your knife is sharp, semi-sharp knives make for super-awful cuts with foam board.

i also cut out a 120mm blowhole in top for sanyo-denki, and two 80mm exhaust holes.

the heater core will be exhausted by one 120mm sanyo denki, and 2 80mm fans, all 5-8-12v controlled.

now for pics!

blowhole on top
    [​IMG]

2x 80mm bottom HC exhaust
    [​IMG]

inside view
    [​IMG]

pic of shroud, oriented correctly, but outside of case
    [​IMG]

pic of setup, minus fans, but with hdd cage! it fits! i thought it wouldn't! *super happy luck fun bonus*
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  17. Defyant

Defyant Member

is it ok to post worklogs here?

18. OP
    OP
    MailOrderSausag

MailOrderSausag Member

sure it is.

19. Juggs

Juggs Member

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  20. OP
    OP
    MailOrderSausag

MailOrderSausag Member

hmmm, that's a good color, but i think i'm gonna go with something more orange. that has a little too much red for me. orange or bust.

as for easy to follow directions, ,you bet. measure never, cut once. if i can't fit a fan in somewhere, i'll fit it somwhere else. just gotta jam it in there.

thanks for the encouragement, all