Majormud 1.1r Module 4 text based Online RPG

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by thergin, Apr 24, 2009.

1. thergin

thergin Member

Adventure awaits in MajorMUD!

Majormud??! you say, oh the memories.....

A new free to play, official licensed server is currently in beta testing and is preparing to go live this ANZAC Day weekend! The server is located in Australia, meaning a great low latency connection for Australians.

Sat 12:30pm 25th April 2009. Adelaide time (+9:30 GMT).

http://ninga.servebbs.net

The MajorMUD game is being run in the spirit of an old famous dialup BBS in Adelaide formerly known as INGA. The game is set up with settings similar to those used on INGA when MajorMUD was in its early days and PVP was fun and challenging. Even more authenticity is added by running a 'classic' oldschool version of MajorMUD. That's right, this will not be the latest, some say ruined, version of MajorMUD. We will be running MajorMUD version 1.1r which was released at the peak of the MajorMUD heydays in early 1998. This version was selected as it was deemed to strike a balance between the classic MajorMUD and those first few modules that were so fun and exciting to adventure in, but before they lost the plot! This is before quick and deadly came in, before plate armour became over powered, before the combat calculations got messed with, before pure magic classes became too easy to play, before gang houses and most importantly before they screwed with the Newhaven layout (what was wrong with it!?)

So don't remember how to play? Read on for details..

1. The best source of information is the website. The downloads section of the website contains a spreadsheet information that I have put together for your convenience

2. You need the Megamud client. Unfortunately the standard Megamud is aligned with the latest version of MajorMUD, therefore we have put together a copy of Megamud for you that has some of the pathing reverted to this older version.

You can download this demo from http://rapidshare.com/files/224807394/Megamud_Ninga.zip

3. With Megmaud, telnet in to ninga.servebbs.net:55555

Even if you are not interested in playing much MajorMUD, we encourage you to pay us a visit, you never know which old friend (or arch-nemesis) you may re-discover.

Thank you and have fun!

Your friendly neighbourhood Sysop.

Game Settings
    PVP Range: 10 Levels
    Hangup Penalty: Low (PVP)
    22-30% Hit point loss
    0-2 Item loss
    Death Hitpoints: -30
    Evil Points Kept on Reroll: 100%
    Lawful Allowed: No
    Evil Point Regen: 24 Max EP/day
    4 EP per 60 minute cycle
    Gang Houses: Disabled
    Extra Lives: 1 runic maybe

NINGA Oldschool MajorMUD has been set up to try to bring back some of the classic 'oldschool' MajorMUD feeling of combat, class balance and the adrenaline of a PVP battle that could go either way. With that in mind the settings are almost identical to a popular MajorMUD on a BBS in Adelaide formerly known as INGA. In those days it cost 25 cents to 'hang' and reconnect, so it was very much a last resort. With telnet access now and most BBSes using very relaxed settings people have become reliant on 'hanging' as a cheap PVP tactic. The settings here are designed to encourage intelligent hand to hand PVP and discourage the boring attack-hang routine. The oldschool MajorMUD was a lot tougher and requires you to have your wits about you. We believe in as little sysop interaction as possible thus there will be absolutely no playing characters with the mudop key or sysop access. At the same time we also believe that limited items bring competition and life to the game, although the current settings are designed to create a high natural limited item flux, there are strict rules against hoarding and inactive characters with limited items.

RULES

One account/character per user
    One user per IP address
    Scripting and automated AFK playing is at your own risk, we take no responsibility for what happens while you are not in full control of your character.
    Any attempts to compromise Worldgroup or MajorMUD will result in a ban
    Inactive limited items will be wiped (see below for definition of 'inactive')
    Inactive is defined as a limited item on a character that a) has not logged on at all for 7 days, b) has not obtained significant exp for their level for 7 days, c) can not use the item and has held it for 7 days
    A limited item that has been stashed for more than 14 days will be considered inactive

2. Brent-83

Brent-83 Member

Holy shit..

Ex INGA MajorMud player right here.

3. OP
    OP
    thergin

thergin Member

Glad to find you, its the main reason I have posted on a diverse amount of forums, trying to find old INGA members to come back.

4. Kabal

Kabal Member

NEED?!? Surely in keeping with the old spirit you should be playing by hand, or crafting your own scripts :cool:

5. Brent-83

Brent-83 Member

Get Flint on the case ASAP.

6. eskahta

eskahta Member

not going anywhere near this :shock:

7. OP
    OP
    thergin

thergin Member

need or not to need

Caramon here.

"need megamud"

Shadey put that in, so its for noobs, maybe you need it.

Not sure if you guys know that the guy that made megamud is back merlin, and he is making gigamud, you can see the details at www.greatermud.com.

Greatermud is a project where they have recoded there own telnet/sql mud engine, and plan to continue majormud where metro failed. So mod 10, blancing etc.

8. Brent-83

Brent-83 Member

LOL Shadey

I was wondering who was running this. I might give it a go for nostalga.

< Bushi

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  9. Scoobth

Scoobth Member

I remember the days, fun fun time waster.

Thergin who are you, and who is running the server? (when I ask who, what are their old user ID's from INGA) :D

10. osmodiar

osmodiar Member

hah, i played mud on inga too.. on a 14.4k modem, lol.

i think my inga username was cosmo, or the k man, or some crap :)

it's funny the lengths people will go to for a few memories.. tho admittedly i re-played the entire space quest series in uni just for that reason. Went through a massive nostalgic abandonware phase. Star Control II FTW !

11. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

omfg

i was an addict on megamud in high school.. i loved it so much

not going near this !!!

i guess i stopped playing before those later changes came in that ruined it? I think our BBS went down around the time mod 7 came out

12. Comma

Comma Member

Can I use a different client (Ala Atlantis for OSX)

13. riblau

riblau Member

Hey mate,

Old mudder from way back, am definitely in for the beta test and more!

See you online!

Riblau

14. Biggi

Biggi Member

cant believe im actually gonna play this again after 10somethin years..

can we have an INGA parties too?

15. kher

kher New Member

Hey, I figured out how to set up a flash interface:
    http://khermud.ath.cx/flashterm.html
    If someone is really bored and still wants to mess around in mud =)

(Of course, you can still get there via the standard methods, at khermud.ath.cx):rolleyes:

16. Nashkell

Nashkell Member

RavenMUD & AgeofWarMUD'der here =]