Make the internet great again!

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by FriskyWhisk, Dec 9, 2016.

1. FriskyWhisk

FriskyWhisk Member

Hi everyone! Lets make the internet great again. :leet: :leet:

I'm running a survey on your current experiences with service providers, to see if there are areas we can improve on, please let me know if you have any questions! Survey link: here

2. power

power Member

but it's better than it's ever been?

Also, you fail no TPG?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TPG_Telecom

[​IMG]

See, now this is what's wrong with the internet.

ok, so who is this survery for??

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  3. OP
    OP
    FriskyWhisk

FriskyWhisk Member

Hey Power!

I knew I forgot one, my mistake! I'll update it now, thanks for pointing it out.

Internet now is great with the advent of fibre, however the price of internet in Australia is much higher than most places in the world.

This is for a small startup called Affordable Internet, we are aiming to do some market research on internet usage, with the aim to provide a $50 unlimited connection on fibre networks, which is in line with pricing worldwide.

Please let me know if you have any more comments or suggestions! :Pirate:

4. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Did the poll so hope it helps.

$50 Unlimited at what speed? Personally I wouldn't bother with switching from HFC unless it offered faster downloads. For our house at least, internet access is a consumable product so it's all about the download speed.

5. OP
    OP
    FriskyWhisk

FriskyWhisk Member

Thanks for that!

$50 @ top tier NBN (100mb/s) & top tier HFC. Our aim is to not shape connections but offer dynamically managed speeds, so essentially if there's bandwidth we will let you use it (in the case of HFC) on NBN it's limited architecturally.

To give you an example of this, my current home connection is reasonably close to the distribution end of the HFC connection, and I have unlocked the shape on the connection and I regularly clock in with a connection speed of 400mb/s.

The idea being that this kind of model benefits those that are power users, whilst allowing the best balance for everyone!

6. OP
    OP
    FriskyWhisk

FriskyWhisk Member

Also on a side note, we're not planning to offer any connections other than HFC and NBN, if we can focus on doing those well it reduces overheads of connection to different network topologies and therefore allows us to provide these kinds of prices.

7. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Good luck. For me it's all about no back-haul or international bottlenecks.
    Many NBN resellers can't afford massive links in their business models, but could be fine for many where money is important. The lack of any kind of support may give you savings there - but don't forget about the pipe size planning.

I prefer to pay more premium rates for unlimited data from an ISP that can provide my max 100/40 national or international throughput demands day or night.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  8. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

I JUST WANT FUCKING UNLIMITED SYMMETRICAL INTERNET ABOVE 15Mbps UNDER $100.

Is that too much to ask for in 2016?

PS did you survey.

9. CptVipeR

CptVipeR Member

Survey done.

I'm with Sphinx2000, Good luck, but would be interesting to see if you really can make a profitable model and connect to all 121 POI.

10. -stanna

-stanna Member

install this 400mbps internet you speak of at my house. this 3mbps telstra adsl2+ is giving me the shits!

11. cvidler

cvidler Member

No it's the same as it has been for 10 years, unless you're one of the lucky very few who have NBN fttp or cable that's not oversubscribed.

I'm 10 mins from the CBD of the fucking capital of Australia, and have ADSL1, that drops out when it rains.

Was on the 3 month plan for fttp when the election kicked out labor, now not even on the 3 year plan.

How to make the internet better, fucking roll it out already - and do it properly the first time (fttp).

(doesn't help OP as an ISP - but that's how).

12. power

power Member

heh Canberra, yeah you guys got fucked years ago, and now by Turnbull and his clown car of muppets. I hear ya.

You have to admit though, Canberra despite being "the Aussie capital" is rural bumfuck nowhere.

13. Boneman

Boneman Member

I love my internet.

14. cvidler

cvidler Member

For sure, it should be the shining beacon of excellence.

Funny thing is we've got massive data centres with mega internet links to all the other capitals, yet the general home owner is stuck on 90's tech.

The government has had it's own fibre network all around town for years.

/rant

15. power

power Member

one of many reasons not to live in Canberra, lol

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

If there wasn't so much work on down here (one thing in Canberra, there's always shit loads of money going around), I'd be back home in Sydney.

17. NiRdoC

NiRdoC Member

Survey done. I live in Cairns so you probably won't be able to help me but good luck to you and I hope some people benefit with this. :thumbup:

18. neoprint

neoprint Member

With current AVC and CVC prices?

19. caspian

caspian Member

not going to happen. that's a fraction of the cost of the service before anyone involved makes a profit.

20. OP
    OP
    FriskyWhisk

FriskyWhisk Member

These prices have been factored in our small scale (2 neighbourhood) initial test, however there will be significant challenges in upscaling that test, just because its hard, doesn't mean it can't be done!

See above comment :)