1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Make VDI client connect to 'Windows Login' screen

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by PacketStorm4, May 25, 2015.

1. PacketStorm4

PacketStorm4 Member

Recently we have installed a Microsoft VDI system at work with resource pools.
    However we are having trouble finding the right VDI client to connect to them.

What we are looking for, is using a lightweight OS like thin station to boot and connect directly to the VM's in the pool on the VDI, and present the Windows 8 login screen.
    So far, I can get it connecting correctly with FreeRDP but only after supplying my credentials to connect.
    How can i make it connect to the login screen so it looks seamless?

2. scrantic

scrantic Member

My guess is that it would be related to NLA network level authentication preventing you from directly hitting the windows login screen. Happy to stand corrected though.

3. OP
    OP
    PacketStorm4

PacketStorm4 Member

Yeah that's my guess too.
    Since NLA, we get the generic login prompt, rather than being taken into the session.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  4. person

person Member

5. luke o

luke o Member

Go RDS on enterprise grade SSD... don't look back. Doesn't answer your question but yes been down the VDI road. RDS is better.

6. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

You can use thin clients as the client, IGEL make good terminals. Windows and Linux based, full management etc.

NLA is what's causing your issue though.
    You have to authenticate before getting a connected session with it turned on.

7. NSanity

NSanity Member

Pablo and I had a discussion about this in our BE&C Rant thread a few pages back.

There are reasons for VDI - but its overall a more expensive solution that RDS ever will be.