Making some plots of data

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Goth, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

I've got some tables of numbers that I need turned into some relatively simple scatter plots (with error bars in some cases).

I need an easy-to-use free software solution to help me do this.

I know most people just use Excel or its OpenOffice counterpart, but every plot looks the same when you use that, it just looks like everyone elses, and the plots look cheap and nasty.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers.

2. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

3. Rational

Rational Member

I personally feel that the plots produced by Office 2007 or 2010 look far more professional than previous versions.

4. cyclonite

cyclonite Member

Whenever writing in LaTeX, I do all my plots in gnuplot. They sort of go hand in hand :p

Easy to use, maybe not...

Examples

5. TheChemist

TheChemist R.I.P

6. Ashpool

Ashpool Member

I came in to say google charts.

Excel is really the default standard. I worked in reporting for many years and there was really no effective, powerful but easy to use and visually pleasing charting tool. Also there is no easy standard for web based charts...well until Google charts came along.

Some times I would just make an excel chart and then use it as a template in inkscape/illustrator etc to produce my own nice looking charts.

Google API is really neat and is quite powerful once you start tinkering with it.

7. OP
    OP
    Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

Here's my gnuplot source data file:

Code:
    #
    #                       A Review of several analyses of whole-of-life-cycle greenhouse gas emissions from electricity generation:
    #                       ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #
    #                       Meier, 2002             Torness EPD, 2002       Forsmark EPD, 2002      Japan, 2006             IAEA, 2000              UK SDC, 2006            Vattenfall, 1999
    #                       -----------------       -----------------       ------------------      ------------------      ------------------      ------------------      ------------------      
    # Energy type           Mean    -       +       mean    -       +       Mean    +       -       Mean    +       -       Mean    +       -       Mean    +       -       Mean    +       -
    "Coal"                  974     0       0       900     0       0                                                       1136    170     170     891     0       0       980     0       0   
    "Gas OCGT"                                                                                                                                                              1170    0       0    
    "Gas CCGT"              469     0       0       400     0       0                                                       564     124     125     356     0       0       450     0       0   
    "Solar PV"              39      0       0                                                                               190     90      90                              50      0       0    
    "Fission"               14      0       0       5.06    0       0       3.10    0       0       13      0       0       15      6       6       16      0       0       6       0       0   
    "Wind"                  149     0       0                                                                               29      19      19                              6       0       0   
    "Hydro"                                                                                                                 120     116     116                             3       0       0   

Here's the gnuplot command that I'm using, however it is not quite right. Can someone help me fix it?

I want the first entries in each line (Coal, gas etc.) along the X-axis, with multiple points of data (some of which have error bars and some don't) in each column corresponding to each of the several source data sets.

Code:
    plot "LCA2.txt" using 2:3:4:xticlabels(1) with yerrorbars, "LCA2.txt" using 5:6:7:xticlabels(1) with yerrorbars, "LCA2.txt" using 8:9:10:xticlabels(1) with yerrorbars, "LCA2.txt" using 11:12:13:xticlabels(1) with yerrorbars, "LCA2.txt" using 14:15:16:xticlabels(1) with yerrorbars, "LCA2.txt" using 17:18:19:xticlabels(1) with yerrorbars, "LCA2.txt" using 20:21:22:xticlabels(1) with yerrorbars

Cheers.