Malaysia & Vietnam

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by frizzl, Sep 19, 2014.

1. frizzl

frizzl Member

Looking to head over early next year to Malaysia and Vietnam. Would love to do some diving in Malaysia as well (have my ticket) however wanting some input from people...

Basically... suggested areas to visit + time of year.

2. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

im no expert but a friend of mine goes to thailand yearly and dives.. he's actually over there now and from what he's told me, the diving in thailand is better than malaysia

3. chrism80

chrism80 Member

The most popular time to visit Malaysia is during summer and the December and January holidays.

Places to visit in Malasia: Kuala Lumpur (for tallest skyscrapers, shopping, food, wildlife and sightseeing), Malacca (for historic structures, old towns, slow pace, and excellent food) and Penang, Sarawak (best-known sanctuaries for the endangered orang-utan). Sabah province, the Malaysian Borneo features quite simply some of the best diving in the world.

You can visit Vietnam anytime as there is not really a right or wrong time to visit the place. Best areas are , Huế (for temples, tombs, pagodas and crumbling palaces), Hoi An (culinary capital), Sapa (for trekking), Ha Long Bay, Ho Chi Minh City (international business hub).

4. lolitsbigmic

lolitsbigmic Member

My wife indian malaysian but i've only been over twice so far. Haven't done anything really touristy as it was for the planning for and then the hindu wedding itself. All i've really done is ate, which is pretty much the malaysian past time along with shopping.

In KL check out the Batu caves north of the city, big hindu temple. Watch out for the monkeys. I'm not sure how much your willing to spend but stay at the traders hotel in KL, its directly oposite the twin towers over looking the big garden area. I think it was <150 a night for a room facing the towers. also the bar up on the top floor is good. and you got air condition tunnels and foot bridges to all the big shopping malls. Brickfields area in KL is basically little india, if that interest you. Went to a good banana leaf place there.

Eat at the hawker stalls, don't bother with hotel food. Most people speak some form of english.

I am mostly familar with the port dickson area as that were my wife family lives. It is two hours south of KL, KLIA is half way between it. It is basically a small beachside town that people from KL go for a weekend at the beach. rich people have their beach homes there. But there is an epic BBQ fish place there that people from all over malaysia and singapore go to eat. Literally people drive up from singapore just to eat there for dinner and then go home. Only open thurs, fri, sat and sundays.

December January is ridiculously hot. when i was there in april this year they were actually having a drought, there was actually bush fires in the jungle. It was odd seeing green grass but burnt out jungle.

Putrajaya, is like the new political center got some really epic buildings. South KL on the way to the air port.

Next time im going to malaysia i will most likely go to Malacca (as its only 1hr drive from PD). Penang as it famous for its food and cameron highlands, its got hot springs and far more temperate climate. worth checking out.

5. Thudd

Thudd Member

Diving in Malaysia? Sabah, Sabah, and Sabah.

Notwithstanding the rest of that part of the country is good too - I did a wicked kayak trip in Kalimantan.

6. doug81

doug81 Member

Depends on what kind of experience you are looking for. Are you looking for resorts and shopping or cheap and local? Really into food or need western food to survive? Do you need/want a beach somewhere? How long, and who with?

7. Alchemist

Alchemist Member

errrr depends on how much you want to stay indoors and watch it rain heavily every single day you are there :confused:

each place have a different time that is more 'ideal' to go to match the weather

8. Gost

Gost (Banned or Deleted)

If you want to try authentic Malaysian food, you should go Penang. It's about 2 hours drive from Kuala Lumpur if I'm not wrong. But be prepared.. you'll probably grow a few pounds while there! You can also go to Sabah, you'll need to pay some money for the boat people to bring you out to nearby island, and you can spend some time there. However, you just need to be careful while you're in Malaysia, you could also go to Sarawak, Borneo, to the city like Miri, which is close to Batu Niah and the rain forest, and probably take a ride to Brunei (1-2 hours drive from Miri) to check out the country, you might be able to go into the Sultan's palace. It's small, but a beautiful country (no alcohol allowed tho).

For Vietnam, I'd suggest Ho Chi Minh, and try all the food there (get ready for really spicy food, and weird special food.). And probably have a trip to the beaches around Hanoi, they are beautiful.

9. doug81

doug81 Member

Never a truer word has been said - I'd live on Char Kway Teow! Add in Kopi Tarik and Kaya Toast and I'm in heaven :D

Spent 6 weeks in HCMC (which is a bit too long unless you're wanting to live there) - great fun to be had, and some awesome and cheap food. Bobby Brewers and Fanny is a must if you like icecream! If it all gets too much, you can just head into a Highlands to escape from the business for a while (good comfy chairs for reading - think Starbucks with better iced coffee and food :thumbup:)