Malta - Anyone been there recently?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Frag, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Frag

Frag Member

So I have 7 weeks in EU next year!!!! - June 9 - July 29th. I am travelling with my wife and 2 kids (28 months and 16 month old at time of travel).

I usually fly into Gdansk Poland and stay there with my mum so that is base camp. Now I will have the opportunity to get away kid free for few nights here and there so looking at possible destinations that have direct flights as I hate losing time when only away for a short period.

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sou...&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=direct+flights+from+gdansk

I notice Malta is one of the destinations and it has pipped my interest. I love the climate, also big bonus is its a 90min ferry to Sicily if we want to visit there as well.

Looks like a unique destination that is slightly off the main travellers radar?
    So wondering if anyone has any first hand experience there, good neighbourhoods to stay (I usually do Vimdu or AirBNB). Unfortunately I havent spoken to anyone first hand that has been there, still checking with some mates but any suggestions/warnings/must see would be appreciated :)

Thanks

2. I)ickie

I)ickie Member

Went there in may this year and loved it.

Lots of good Italian food, lots of great history from prehistory to WW2, beautiful climate and generally quite friendly locals.

There weren't a lot of beaches (if you are into that thing) since its mostly cliff faces but there are still lovely places to go swimming. St Peters pools were my swimming highlight.

We stayed in Sliema which was fairly central to most attractions with plenty of bus access and didn't attract the same $$ as staying in Valletta. I think anything in that region would do you well.

3. OP
    OP
    Frag

Frag Member

Sweet, so most spoke some English? I read its an official language so hoping it will be ok.

In terms of staying there I was looking at Vimdu/AirBnB and it will work out at $400-500 for 4 nights in a nice place in Valletta - I'll check Silema out.

The history and ancient buildings look amazing; how did you find the prices of tourist attractions? Any tours/must see items. I am hoping 4 days will be plenty to get a good feel for the place. Heck I only stayed for 5 days in Rome and felt I ticked most things off in terms of historical sights with enough time to do some eating/shopping/Drinking :p

My missus loves the look of it so might be locking it in ;) Alternates at the moment are Athens (with maybe a flight to Santorini), Budapest, possibly Berlin...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  4. I)ickie

I)ickie Member

Yep everyone spoke English.

Valletta was beautiful. Assuming $400 is palatable then I think you'll love it.

In terms of 4 days my list would be as follows

1. Valletta itself was full of must sees. Churches, palaces and forts are all fantastic
    2. Gozo is definitely worth a day (cruise ships leave daily from Sliema docks). Couple of places here used for making of GoT if you are into that and the main citadel blew my mind
    3. Hypogeum and Tarxien temples were incredible and probably my pick of the prehistory stuff
    4. Blue lagoon followed by ?marxlot? markets and st peters pools down south

If I had 4 days that's what I'd do.

Runners up goes to walled city and a second day in Valletta (lots to see there)

5. OP
    OP
    Frag

Frag Member

6. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I have been there 4 years ago, and sorry to say I did not like it too much. It's mediterranean, I expected some nice scenery, there wasn't anything. No beaches as well, if you are used to places like Italy, France, or Spain, you will be disappointed. The one interesting point, if you are interested, are some historic places and buildings, Malta has a long history.

7. splbound

splbound Member

Been there. Was stupidly hot at the time 35+C high humidity. Buses are great and cheap to get around on. Air conditioned islands although, at times a tad too cold.
    I think it was an hour from Mellieha to Valletta.

There is definitely that Aussies call a beach there (has sand), Mellieha bay which is the area we stayed at. It was nice to see families at night, coming out and having night picnics and BBQ's on a hot summer night. That side of the island is more a place to relax and not a busy city\sightseeing type holiday.

There is nice scenery there e.g. Comino island with its blue lagoon, but in general the landscape there is hilly and rocky. I guess nice is defined on what your scenery preference is.

Get a place with Air-con, you will need it. Some nights were sitting at 25c.
    You will also want a pool if you aren't staying near the beach.

English is not an issue and talking amongst the locals most of them have some relative living in Australia.

8. xplod140

xplod140 Member

I have a few friends there that I met at festivals in Germany.

Most of them would argue that it's a rather corrupt backwater hole that might be worth a day if you're passing through.