1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Manage free Hyper-V Server hosts using System Center Datacenter?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Quantum Flux, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Quantum Flux

Quantum Flux Member

Long story short...

I've got about 15 bare metal Windows servers, all fully licensed 2012 R2 Standard.

Recently, some late model HP DL360 hardware came into my lap. I'm wondering if I can virtualise all these older servers on this hardware, at minimal cost.

If I install the free Hyper-V server on 3 of these new servers, can I then purchase System Center Datacenter (US$3600), install it on a fourth server running 2012 R2, and manage unlimited VMs on the hyper-v hosts, and get fail-over clustering, live migration etc?

I have a very beefy HA NAS here - 50TB, SSD cache, dual 10GbE. Thinking of using this as cluster storage. Storage utilisation is fairly low...the workload is mainly CPU.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. Dre_

Dre_ Member

You need to license the VMs/hosts you are managing, not specifically the management server itself.

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...tem_Center_2016_licensing_datasheet_EN_US.pdf

You need to license per physical core.

With your existing Windows Server licenses, you need to consider things like fail over rights (license reassignment) as well as you need to license for maximum virtualisation.

Maybe, just get Azure OMS?

Good luck, have fun.

3. OP
    OP
    Quantum Flux

Quantum Flux Member

Thanks.

Sounds like I'll be better off forking out $6k+ for datacenter on each vm host. That way I don't have to worry about licencing, right?

* each host has dual 8c CPU.

4. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

Yes, datacentre give you unlimited VM licenses, it will also let you do all the Hyper-V good stuff like hyperconvergence.

5. gabgab1982

gabgab1982 Member

Does that only include Windows server licenses or does it also include Win 10 as well?

6. NSanity

NSanity Member

huh.

SC Datacenter doesn't do anything with Hyper-V/Server2016 S2D.

Windows Datacenter does tho.

7. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

I've obviously completely misread the thread when I posted. I blame 2yo with a cold and molars coming through.

NSanity likes this.