Managed WAN links and pricing

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by King_Vegeta, Jun 13, 2012.

1. King_Vegeta

King_Vegeta Member

Hi All,

I'm currently looking at upgrading our managed WAN links. Currently we are with Telstra and have a 2 meg BDSL link in Sydney and ADSL 2+ in our Melbourne and Brisbane Offices but it's not working as well as we'd like. All currently managed WAN with Telstra Connect IP (or Next IP or whatever buzzword they call it).

Looking at upgrading the links, Telstra proposed 4 meg in Syd and 2mb in Brisbane and Melbourne for around $5500 a month. AAPT are willing to offer 8 meg in all sites with 3G failover for about $1500 less than the Telstra price. I asked Telstra to come back with a competing offer and they came back with $8800 per month (saying I was given a great discount of $1000 per month).

I laughed and said it was double the cost and I couldn't consider it, they asked if there was any premium we'd consider paying.

Does anyone here have any experience with SME managed WAN setups with Telstra like this? Am I wasting my time trying to get Telstra to compete with the AAPT offer?

Ideally I would like to stay with them for simplicity of not having to change companies, but not with crazy pricing like that.

2. newgen

newgen Member

Look at Internode's business offerings. I've migrated several networks over to them over the past few years and they're great. Did a 23 site migration in less than 3 months from start to finish too, including Telstra provisioning PSTN lines etc where needed. Cost-wise they're VERY competitive. One company I migrated has:

1 full rack of data centre colo hosting in GlobalSwitch (NSW)
    100mbps internet pipe in the dc
    Cisco ASA5510 firewall in the dc
    4 remote sites, 2 with 6mbps shdsl, 2 with 20mbps 20mbps shdsl, all with Cisco routers, + a few other things and paying around $6.5k/month all up.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  3. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

We were thinking of upping our link speeds, then we decided to trial some wan accelerators. They worked exceptionally well, so we purchased them. We wont be upping our link speeds anytime soon.

For 2 months of service from your ISP you can pay for the accelerators...

4. FiShy

FiShy Member

What if most of your traffic is not somthing accelerators can work with?

5. MrvNDMrtN

MrvNDMrtN Member

Maquarie Tel or PIPE is the ones ive used and happy with them.

6. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

TPG ethernet service is what i'd look at

up to 10mbit, unlimited private traffic between sites

I believe internet traffic is extra charged per megabit you want

prices start at 199 per month according to the website

i've used it once 2 or 3 years back and found it to be very good service

tpg.com.au/ethernet

(no I don't work for tpg or have anything to do with them, just found it was a good product and am sick of telstra ripping people off)

7. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

Well then your fucked aren't ya!

8. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

How do these other providers go providing access in less populated areas?

Has any had experience trying to get these sorts of services from anyone other than telstra, and asked to have a remote site serviced?

9. scrantic

scrantic Member

Internode for example can get SHDSL services to wherever Telstra/Optus have got equipment, I'd assume this is the same for other providers who have wholesale agreements. You just need to compare the price offers from a selection of carriers.

I've been able to get 2-4 Meg SHDSL links in rural town of about 4000 people but you're talking anywhere from 3-5000. It's a cost of doing business in those areas. Fortunately the NBN is round the corner for some our of sites, just wont be symmetrical to begin with but we can deal with that.

10. chip

chip Member

Have you been able to find business NBN connections with guaranteed contention ratios/bandwidth and uptime SLAs? Last time I looked (8 months ago) there weren't any, and I'm keen as for it to happen.

11. OP
    OP
    King_Vegeta

King_Vegeta Member

Good question, this is a concern for us too. And not even for places outside the cities. Our Melbourne office is in Tottenham and our Brisbane office in the Airport Business Park. Brisbane had shocking issues with ADSL 2+, downgraded to ADSL now too and still no one can promise me it will be all cool with a BDSL link. All I get are "Oh yeah totally, it will be fine".

But I remember back to the something like 20 tech visits from Telstra with the ADSL problem and how poor their fault resolution process was (along with whatever systems they use to log the history on jobs, i.e. none) and it doesn't fill me with major confidence.

12. scrantic

scrantic Member

Our sites are in the 2013 build scope for the NBN so haven't looked that seriously into it yet I'd hope a lot will happen in that space in the next 12-18 months.

13. g@z

g@z Member

Telstra should be able to provide you with a BDSL feasability report on a line you are considering BDSL for. We moved about 60 sites from frame relay to BDSL a few years back and they did this for every line. got line length, bridge taps, estimated maximum speed. 2 or 4 wire needed etc.

Do you have any SNMP monitoring and netflow on all of your links to see what's going on? Telstra can add this and then grab a trial version of Solarwinds Network performance monitor and network traffic analyser and see what's going on across your links.

Regards,
    g@z.

14. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Yeah, we can get a 4 Meg service OK, but asking for anything more is like trying to get blood from a very expensive stone.

Many of our sites are below the 3K population threshold for Fibre NBN. I'm not sure on the planned provisioning for satellite based services, but I'm not super convinced it will be much better than what we currently get.

RE: WAN Acceleration, If I had some EC2 instances or something 'cloud' based, I'm guessing I would need something at each end of the connection. Is this something that is possible? I've not done much looking into it, so my understanding of WAN acceleration is fairly basic.

15. FiShy

FiShy Member

you can indeed get virtual wan accelerators

16. dink

dink Member

I always recommend you talk to iSeek in this situation. They will use any carrier that provides the required service at the right price. They can supply SHDSL, Fibre, BDSL or anything else that is available.

Their support is second to none. You call the support department and you will speak to a level 2 tech immediately who can log onto the routers and troubleshoot.

17. Swathe

Swathe (Banned or Deleted)

We use macquaire telecom, it's been a good experience.

18. evo800v

evo800v Member

Another Macquarie Tel user here.

We have internnational WAN link through them & colo, uptime is good plus the online management/report tool is pretty cool.

19. Swathe

Swathe (Banned or Deleted)

Yeah the reporting is good as well as the automated SMS alerts and ticket logging. They've always been right on the ball for us.

20. b00n

b00n Member

Good recommendation use for my 10 sites I look after and exactly the same experience.