Managed WAN provider for 21 sites

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by thanhd, Aug 30, 2010.

1. thanhd

thanhd Member

We have 2 SHDSL for the main HUB and ADSL2+ (Telstra resold & Internode Extreme) for the rest of the sites. We have a centrally hosted IP PBX which goes out via ISDN30. If there was no VOIP involved life would much quieter :tired:

Management has now heard the cries from the sites thanks to the quality of voice calls (qos, latency) and are deciding on if they want to give me a better budget for this.

I did a quick search but did not find anything recent except lots dated post bagging Macquarie Telecom and Telstra IP.

With some luck I will be getting some needed fund to roll out a manged WAN instead of the current ADSL2+ connections we have which does not have any QoS = crappy voip experience among other things.

We are currently with Internode (still contracted with them for 6 months on the current setup.) for the ADSL & SHDSL connections so will be speaking to them about their IBC product.

Ideally (if budget allows and lack of in house expertise on cisco) we want the provider to provide and maintain the WAN equipment as well so we can concentrate our time on other value added tasks.

Who else is worth speaking to at the moment? Looking to spend ~$10k / month for the above (currently spending half that). We won't have money for fibre or anything like that, more like ADSL2+ tails and or SHDSL or wireless.

Out of the list below who should I not bother?

Internode - current provider
    Macquarie Corp
    AAPT
    Telstra IP Connect
    Uecomm
    Powertel
    Verizon Business
    Optus
    Primus - our phones are with them

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. NSanity

NSanity Member

We use Nextgen / Infoplex.

They are cheapish, and I don't hate them as much as Telstra IP.

We have sites from Perth to Fiji to New Zealand and Canada - all delivered by Nextgen.

3. trotkiller

trotkiller Member

Optus/Uecomm (part of Optus business) links with Alphawest (also part of Optus Business) providing the managed services side of things.

4. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Depends on your budget... I have a flyer at work from an AAPT reseller selling "mid-band" ethernet point to point WAN + 100gig data for $500 per site.

10 Mbit ethernet site to site using layer 2 over layer 3.

5. MrvNDMrtN

MrvNDMrtN Member

Macquarie Telecom have a good reporting portal.

Service is pretty good too.

6. chunksoul

chunksoul Member

if you pm me i can pass on the details of the head of internodes managed wan department. He's in my squash team and a very good guy to deal with.

7. Ding.Chavez

Ding.Chavez Member

Optus Evolve, but man my customer service / account manager is shit house, but great links ..

8. The Watcher

The Watcher Member

I would recommend Nextgen as well.

9. dink

dink Member

I currently use iSeek and I am very happy with them.

Account manager is fantastic
    Support calls go straight to level 2 techs
    Flexible options (ADSL, SHDSL, 3G and more)
    Reasonable pricing
    Brisbane based

10. haakon

haakon Member

I'm gonna pimp myself here. I work for Netsip/Overthewire and we do managed WANs and since we do a lot of voip stuff we have a clue about QoS :)

Otherwise chat to Iseek, you get all the Optus tails without having to deal with Optus support or account reps :D

11. samus

samus Member

I'm going to have to disagree with a post above, we are dumping Mac Tel at the end of the month. Crap service, even worse account account manager.

Our Optus service has been great, but the accounting side is woeful. Purely for that reason I would have to say stay away from Optus. Even though our contract with them if fairly new, as soon as it is up we are dumping them.

Mario.

12. OP
    OP
    thanhd

thanhd Member

Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming.

We were previously (2yrs ago) with Optus for phones and after a great big dispute to the highest level on ours and their side (Optus state manager level) we got a $35k in billing refund :thumbdn: their service (phones) works ok but billing is crap. They were promising product that was still in dev...

I won't dare mention the word Optus around here, unless miracles has happen since. But that didn't stop them calling us everyone and then.

BTW all our sites are in Melb metro so prefer some one with an office here that can come out and talk to us when we want and not chase people over the phone.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  13. tin

tin Member

I was going to point out that locations will be a major factor in who, what and price... But being all in Melbourne metro, you should be set. :thumbup:

14. newgen

newgen Member

We recently undertook a 22 site migration from Uecomm (I will never work with them again.. thank god the contract had lapsed when I came onboard) to Internode with their IBC offering. Can't recommend Inode highly enough. We have 2 x fibre links, the rest are all DSL based links, all using Cisco gear, fully managed, we also have a rack of colo space. Neg'd quite a good deal actually and haven't had any issues yet.

15. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

We just moved to Optus, what a mess. For starters, we can only inject routes via rip2, ehh......

Primus were a little better, we could use EIGRP, however the price was much more than what Optus have given us.

16. FiShy

FiShy Member

BGP.... its win and not vendor specific like EIGRP.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  17. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

Primus only supported eigrp which is ok as we only use cisco equipment.

Optus on the other hand use cisco but only allow use to use rip 2, anything else was either impossible for them or just $$$$$$$. These guys are serious ass clowns, their techs are useless, not to mention they fucked up every router config....

18. FiShy

FiShy Member

They support Ripv2 and BGP, BGP being preferred.

And since there core is not Cisco it makes EIGRP impossible(sorta/kinda).

19. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

They wanted extreme dollars for BGP and an extra 6 months to plan it, just wasnt worth it.

20. NSanity

NSanity Member

Yeah nah....

Optus did BGP for us, infact they were *much* easier than UEComm - ironically, the same damned company.