Managing Passwords and site config details

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by akardas, Jun 11, 2015.

1. akardas

akardas Member

I have changed jobs and now working as a Sys Admin looking after the networks of approximately 50-70 different small-med businesses. As well as dealing with many home users sometimes on a semi regular or on-going basis.

Currently there is no procedure, or standard for gathering, recording and storing the multitude of passwords, ISP details, device configurations, logins, network details etc etc. I have inherited a mix of excel shreadsheets, text files, scraps of paper, lists of likely ph of password 'knowers'. In short, a nightmare.

At my last work we used ConnectWise which I found very simple and effective in centralizing all these details, being able to quickly locate any ISP password, or domain credentials etc.

What is out there that you guys would recommend looking at? Password management is the primary concern, not a lot is getting done when every time a password is needed it take minutes to find.

Something cross platform would be an advantage as I am often onsite and it would be a bonus to know I have available at my finger tips all the site info.

2. Embercide

Embercide Member

We use Lastpass enterprise as we share with multiple staff and can force auto logout of lastpass after idle periods etc.

3. Gunna

Gunna Member

We use KeePass with the login details shared with the relevent people however this reads from a file located on a network share o the above mentioned LastPass wouldbe ideal as you can then keep the app on your phone if required and it will always be in sync.

4. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

We use Keepass as well, network share based. We replicate copies in case the file server goes down, but it does us well.

5. Chesto

Chesto Member

I'll put another vote up for LastPass. We use it to share credentials between our team. It's also pretty good on giving access only to people who need it.

It's also web-based (with a browser plugin if you want, and there's also an app for Android and iPhone).

6. scrantic

scrantic Member

These Guys have a Remote Desktop Manager and Password Vault Product.

http://remotedesktopmanager.com/

The RDM product links in with heaps of password safe options but allows you to store all of your remote connection info. I use RDM and swear by it never used the PV product.

7. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

8. Jarwedy

Jarwedy Member

Using KeePass here also, started piling everything in there a year ago and I've lost track how many times I've come to use it. We have the DB in a local share.

LastPass would be better as others have mentioned for access anywhere offsite.

9. Alationever

Alationever Member

KeePass (2) is really great, but it does not scale at all. It's especially painful that it lacks any kind of permissions for access levels. I think I've read that you can use it as a frontend for a product called "secret server" which does have those features, but I haven't used it (it's paid and closed source). But again, it's flawless for small shops.

For everything else, a wiki is the way to go. Even though it's written in PHP, I really liked mediawiki. It's what Wikipedia is based off of.

10. Dan_NZ

Dan_NZ Member

Authanvil and Bizdox make a nice little combo

11. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

Another vote for Keepass, good for small team, probably not good for bigger teams with different levels of access.

Some kind of Wiki for the rest. We're moving to GitHub Wiki (basically working directly on a Git repo, as wiki is a repo, editing with Markdown format) from Mediawiki atm.

12. vader

vader Member

13. ECHO

ECHO Member

We also use RDM. It's great!

14. Pepito

Pepito Member

Roboform Everywhere user here. Couldn't work without it now.

Best feature it has is what it calls Safe Notes. Basically boxes of free text you can cut and paste in/out of under as many folders & sub/folders you want.

Also they've never been hacked :)

adios,

15. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

16. Gunna

Gunna Member

No user vaults were compromised though.

Here is lastpass's blog about it

https://blog.lastpass.com/2015/06/lastpass-security-notice.html/

17. Pepito

Pepito Member

The hackers got password reminders which is a bit of a worry.

18. scrantic

scrantic Member

I never set something useful in my password reminder just asking for trouble IMHO

19. Gunna

Gunna Member

I set it as a hint that I would only know. Never would I include any of the actual password in the hint.

20. mrturkey

mrturkey Member

Labtech is pretty good (related to ConnectWise) and you get a mobile app to access the info for your phone.... but it isn't just a password manager is it...