MANLOAF

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by Glitchlol, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

OCAU voted for meat, so I thought it fitting to make MANLOAF.

I had family come over for lunch today, I don't really have the money to cook up a nice steak for everyone, but I think I was able to substitute that meaty and filling taste with the mighty MANLOAF.

The main ingredients in this loaf are beef mince, bacon, tomato and mushroom.. The idea behind it is that the tomato and mushroom flavors will compliment and add to the existing meaty taste that you associate with traditional meatloaf.

PS. Sorry about the bad photo's, all I had was my mobile's camera. :(

Click to view full size!

First, you'll need to make a trip to the local pub for some beer to go with the manloaf.
    Oh, and ask the missus to pickup the following (Tasmanian viewers feel free to ask a sister).

Click to view full size!

• Mince - Any type of red meat works.
    • Middle Bacon
    • Mushrooms
    • Fresh/Tinned Tomato, or both
    • Tomato Paste
    • Onion
    • Chili Sauce (optional)
    • Cheese (optional)

Click to view full size!

We first start by getting all the lovely insides of the fresh tomato into one of those metal things. Hulk smash it (gently) with a wooden spoon till the majority of liquid is filtered through.

Click to view full size!

Chop up what you have left of the tomato, place in the metal thing, and sprinkle with a fair bit of salt.. Let it stand for about 15 minutes, and you'll notice a bit more juice will come out. Don't discard this tomato juice! It will be used to marinate with the mince.

Click to view full size!

Here we have the mince mixed with the tomato juice. The jelly type juice of the tomato is one of the many techniques Heston Blumenthal uses to enhance meat flavors. More information about his tomato sauce and how it enhances the meaty taste, can be found here.

Click to view full size!

Roughly chop up the Onion, fry until soft and translucent. Add the salted fresh tomato, cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes or until everything is soft. Add the tinned tomato, break it up using a wooden spoon.

Click to view full size!

Add the mushroom and let simmer on a slow heat until you have a thick sauce (About 30-45 minutes). The mushroom will release their juices and add another meaty flavor to the sauce.

Click to view full size!

This is what the finished sauce looks like, give it a bit of a taste. It's meant to be strong and reduced, don't worry if its a little salty, as it will get dulled down when we mix in the mince. Be sure to let this cool to room temperature.

Click to view full size!

Add the cooled tomato sauce to the meat, and give it a good stir.

Click to view full size!

I forgot to include breadcrumbs in the initial picture (all I had was lemon pepper breadcrumbs), they are mainly used to help bind the meatloaf together.

Click to view full size!

It should start to look something like this. Here you can add the chili sauce, or even the cheese. I have younglings over, so it's not going in this time :(.

Click to view full size!

Line some loaf pans with bacon. The oils from the bacon will add more flavor to our manloaf, as well as crisp up really nicely to form an awesome looking and tasting crust.

Click to view full size!

Fill with the meat mixture, be sure not to overfill.

Click to view full size!

My babies all tucked in :)

Click to view full size!

First one out, nice and crispy on the top.

Click to view full size!

Flipped it over and let the bottom crisp up.

Click to view full size!

Cut up, top side up.

Click to view full size!

Cut up and plated with some garlic bread (Girl Serve).

Click to view full size!

It's just as good with a fork and a beer.

2. mike-s

mike-s Member

Mate that looks like it'd taste great. My missus would flip if i made it though, something about "healthy" (im just referring to the salt and baconfat, etc)

Something to consider is possibly a bit of red wine with the mince to give it a bit of a different kick?

3. viet_mafia

viet_mafia Member

Opposite to the point of the manloaf, but I cried when I saw this, I think I've fallen in love :lol:

4. Glove

Glove Member

Fourth pic from the bottom is a face.

5. alch

alch Member

Awww <3 .. I can see me making that in the near future....

6. raoul

raoul Member

awesome, but needs vegemite.:thumbup:

7. jas0nt

jas0nt Member

only sissies and tasmanians use beer. real men and super studs use 100 proof vodka.

recipe saved