1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marine Tank 36x18x18 Journal - now with clownies!

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Sir Ghallahad, Apr 1, 2008.

1. yoda123

yoda123 Member

Hey mate just wondering where you sourced your return pump and what brand it is ?

Any further updates ? :D

2. OP
    OP
    Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

Both skimmer and return pumps are from St George Aquariums. Cheapy aquaones, cost about $40, but they do the job.

Last Saturday I bought 2 little Humbugs and two snails which names escape me atm. Fish are still alive and lovin it, diving between all the rock work. And the snails are moving around chomping down all the algae. I really need some algae eating fish to clean up the live rock though, as the algae is loving the conditions :)

Im gonna wait another 1.5 weeks, then buy either 2 coral banded shrimp or 2 clownies and an anemone. Or maybe both, depends how the tank is going, I dont wanna rush. Also splashing out and getting two Tunze 6025's for some internal water movement.

[​IMG]

3. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Awesome, love the humbugs

Better hide this thread from the missus before she's wanting a marine tank :lol:

4. tagrobert

tagrobert Member

where do i sign up for on of them...i want a missus that likes fish

5. Deftone2k

Its good and bad!!

6. OP
    OP
    Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

Just ordered 2 Tunze 6025 Nanostream pumps for some more flow. About $200 delivered from the states, so thats pretty sweet. Should bump the flow in the tank up to around 25x plus the return so that will be good for anemones and corals.

7. Timah

Timah Member

wont have you have to get a power adapter or something for them?

8. OP
    OP
    Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

Yep. Just an adapter for the plug. Pretty cheap.

9. WaLLLY

WaLLLY Member

Thats outstanding! *tips hat to you sir*.

Well done mate, looks a treat. :thumbup:

10. gmturner

gmturner Member

from those pics you could do with alot more bioballs and have more of a spray bar that goes the full length of the sump so it sprays all the balls.

Although a good decision, we use trickle bio-filters in a 80,000 litre aquaculture setups at uni and they get used on multi-million dollar aquaculture farms all over world.

11. 151528

151528 Member

So what exactly does it say on the wall?

Oh, and nice work there too :thumbup:

12. japes

japes Member

Looks like he's got a spinning arm as the spraybar so no need for the full length. Could do with some more bioballs but I wouldn't say it's necessary. I'm setting up the sump for my 550L SA display in the coming weeks so I'll be doing a worklog on that.

13. OP
    OP
    Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

Yeah I might get more down the track. At the moment its actually the right amount for the tank capacity, the picture doesnt show it well but the sump goes back pretty far and theres quite a few. But when the bioload increases its definately something ill think about. And the spray bar hits all the balls no worries.

And yep as Japes just said, the arm actually rotates.

'I now have only good days and great days'

Thanks for the comments guys :thumbup:

14. OP
    OP
    Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

Went for another drive out to rockdale for some more fishies. Decided it was time to move the cliche to a whole new level and put some clownies in. Managed to get a live caught mated pair of occelaris clowns. Theyre a lot bigger than I thought they were, but still a fine size for my tank. Picked up a couple of anemones for them, which hopefully soon they will host in, fingers crossed.

And I couldnt resist getting a coral banded shrimp. Really adds character to the tank. Whenever people look at it they are amazed because they have never seen them before, where as everyone on earth has seen a nemo.

Everything has settled in nicely and is eating so thats good. Gravel is pretty much covered in algae, which should hopefully disappear soon when the tank develops more.

Anyway, on to the pics! Full tank shot showing everything:
    [​IMG]

Closeup of Mr Shrimp:
    [​IMG]

The anemones:
    [​IMG]

Side view, one of the anemones is walking around and for some reason wants to go through a hole and under the rock:
    [​IMG]

My clownies:
    [​IMG]

Right hand side of tank:
    [​IMG]

15. zfind

zfind Member

Great tank there, love the setup! The colours on the occies are gorgeous - I can never get enough of them, even if they are cliched :) Beautiful animals. Shame they were wild caught when you can easily get farmed specimens.

Anyway well done!!!

16. yoda123

yoda123 Member

Have your powerheads from the states turned up yet ?

Any more updates ? :tongue:

What was the salt that you used on initial fill ?

17. Deftone2k

Yea would love to see how its going now and any new updates.

Any problems you have come across yet?

18. OP
    OP
    Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

Yea they are awesome, constantly swimming around together like a true pair. I actually wanted live caught ones though. I suppose you can look at it that it is kind of cruel, but then every other single fish is live caught. There was more chance of getting a true pair if live caught, and they also know what an anemone is.

Yep, they arrived within a week of ordering. $100 each inc delivery, compared to $150 here online, and even more from a physical shop.

I cant remember what the salt was that I used initially, ill check when I get home for you.

Pretty much no problems at all. Only problem, which wasn't really, was quite a lot of green hair algae growing on about 3 of the rocks. Last water change I took them out and gave them a good scrub, and none of it has come back. Was just a reaction of everything being new and the cycling etc, water is a lot more stable now and doesn't let it thrive.

I also bought a scopas tang last week, known to be algae eaters, so thats keeping things in check also.

I know updates are shit boring without pics, but im at work. So ill take some piccies later tonight and post em up :thumbup:

19. ben_qld

ben_qld Member

Do you have just fluros on that tank ? how many and what wattage ?

you are aware that just because Anemones are "soft corals" that they still require a hell of alot more light then most fluros can produce (ie 150w halides at the min). If you keep them in low light, you will just slowly bleach them. Just like a pet dog can survive in a 1m x 1m cage, but it dosent mean its going to like it, or grow properly.

The hair algae is caused by high nutrient levels, most likely nitrates/phosphates. Nitrates are most likely caused by either over feeding, or incomplete nitrogen cycle, ie Fish Crap -> Ammonia - > Nitrite - > Nitrate -> Nitrogen gas which will come out of the water at the surface.

When you use bioballs, you are eliminating the process where Nitrate - > nitrogen gas, as this stage of the process requires, anaerobic bacteria (bacteria that survive in the absence of oxygen). These usually are found inside the live rock, and in a deep layer of sand. So my advice is to slowly remove the bio balls over a few weeks. And then let the live rock take over the load of the bacteria, and your nitrate levels will drop. Also, drop your feeding down alot, and the nutrient levels will drop. Feed the fish only every 2nd day. Also, get a test kit for Nitrate / Phosphate. Ideally you are aiming for the level to be so low, that you cannot detect anything on the test kits. And then the algae wont grow.

Also, I would not add anything to that tank for at least 1-2 months, as it takes at least this amount of time for the nitrogen cycle to start up in a tank, and if you add stuff before then, you will possibly kill them if the levels spike.

I would also strongly advice you research every addition to the tank BEFORE you buy it. And make sure that you have the adequate space and filtration/lighting. As those humbugs are one of the most agro fish you can get, and will seriously limit any other fish you want to put in there. And when you do your research, ask on places like MASA (http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB2/) not the local fish shop, as they are just trying to sell things to you.

I am concerned about the anemones, as they really need alot more light then a fluro can produce, and you may find they will slowly die, which is pretty cruel.

I know all of this, as I have kept marines for over 6yrs, and I learnt the hard way. This is my tank I used to have (3x2x2, with a 150w halide, I only changed 10% of the water every 12 months) - I had to sell this full setup as I moved house, and I am going O/S soon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ben

20. ben_qld

ben_qld Member

Did you do any research on this fish before you got it ? your tank is WAY to small for this fish. Tangs require much larger tanks. And they can be quite aggressive.

If you want to get rid of the algae, get lots of snails, hermits, and reduce your nutrient levels. Chucking more fish in is just adding to the nutrient load. And its a bandaid solution.

I STRONGLY advise you go the the MASA site, and make a post on there, and ask about things before you buy them, as its cruel to just randomly add animals to a tank, with no thought if you have the right tank size or lighting etc.

Its like buying a massive dog, when you live in a small apartment. It looks small and cute when its a pup, but as it grows, it needs room to move, and it wont have it, so it will survive, but it wont be happy.

Ben