Marine Tank 36x18x18 Journal - now with clownies!

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Sir Ghallahad, Apr 1, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

Ive read all of what you posted, and thanks for posting it as its informative for others, but I know every single piece of information you just told me back to front.

Trust me, I researched all of this, and put a hell of a lot of time in to it.

The lighting I have on the tank is 8 T5HO globes, plenty of light.

I know tangs need a lot of room to swim, with minimum tanks of 4 foot even 6 foot. But a scopas tang is one of the smallest tangs there is, and its also tiny at the moment and ive got plans for a bigger tank already.

Im a member of MASA, which I said on the very first line of this thread. I view the forums every single day looking and reading. Nothing is random about what im buying, ive thought all of it through.

And to be honest, theres hundreds of opinions on who thinks which way is better. Bioballs, DSBs, skimmers, canisters etc etc. Theres a huge trend for fuges in sumps these days, but bioball setups still work perfectly fine.

2. ben_qld

ben_qld Member

I saw your reference to MASA, but I wasnt aware you had read up much about it as you mentioned nothing about letting the tank cycle, and nothing about any checks for the nutrient levels (which is what is causing the algae breakout)

What was the general response from MASA like when you said you were putting a tang in a 3 x 18 tank ?

I used to run a DSB in a remote fuge with my tank, and I harvested about a ice cream container full of macro algae from the fuge on a monthly basis, and this kept my tank nutrient levels undetectable.

Ben

Have you tested for Nitrate / Phosphates ? Back when I first got into marines, I had some algae, I read up and found nutrients was the cause. and then I put steps in place to reduce them to undetectable levels, and then from then on, it was never a problem, and I didnt need to keep adding fish etc to keep it under control. At a minimum you want to keep phosphates below 0.03ppm, and nitrates below 0.05ppm. If you do this, you will not have algae problems.

3. OP
    OP
    Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

Yea ive been planning this tank and was researching quite a few months prior to making any decisions at all. They are a complete money pit, and I didnt want it to get out of hand by making mistakes :)

I havent updated the journal on MASA for a while, ppl tend to rather be interested in the bigger tanks. And besides, that forum is like a giant tang police, so I know what they would say :p

My initial plans were to have a 3 section sump with a fuge, but decided against it as the tank is rather small in the scheme of things and is likely to stay as just a live rock with fish (plus anemone) tank. I would definately put one in if going to 4x2x2 or larger.

Im getting my water tested again tomorrow when I go out to to fishy shop, so ill see how its going.

4. yoda123

yoda123 Member

Bump.. Update us dude ! :tongue:

5. Grizz_li

Grizz_li Member

Beautiful tank. One that I envy!

6. tgf

tgf Member

Ditto. Also posting in here to add subscription to this thread as I absolutely LOVE what the OP has done. So jealous!

7. OP
    OP
    Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

OK :) Ill upload some photos tonight that ive taken recently.

But in summary whats happened:
    - Added quite a few nice corals
    - Some larger hermits to rustle up the gravel
    - Rearranged the rock work to better suit the corals
    - Got some actinics for the corals
    - Added another fishy

Tanks going great though. Algae has all subsided and the tanks taking care of itself now basically.

Here's a sneak peak:
    [​IMG]

Yes, thats a yellow tang. Feel free to bitch :lol:

8. yoda123

yoda123 Member

:shock:Looking really good mate ! Cant wait to see your updates.. the coral looks very healthy.

I'll leave my Tang Police hat off :cool:

9. Oniell.au

Oniell.au Member

just noticed this thread, amazing, absolutely amazing tank, love it, I want one now :p

10. yoda123

yoda123 Member

Hey, hows your tank going ?

11. yoda123

yoda123 Member

Almost nearing 6mths, this tank would be looking quite good now !

Have you still got it setup ?

12. OP
    OP
    Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

Holy crap looking back at this tank I had no idea how bad it looked at certain stages. Things have certainly grown since then as well. Heres a few new shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. japes

japes Member

Looking great.

14. Urban_Jungle

Urban_Jungle Member

Just awesome :).

15. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

Looking great mate! :)

16. Oosh

Oosh Member

Just looking awesomely great mate! :)

17. OP
    OP
    Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

Thanks guys :D

Tank pretty much only costs me $22 a fortnight which is the price of saltwater I use for changes. Thankgod...

18. ben_qld

ben_qld Member

Have you tried collecting salt water ? When I used to have my reef tank, I bought a whole bunch of 25L bottles, and I would sometimes collect water when I was fishing, and other times at boat ramps on high tide when the water looked clean. I would then store this in 2 x 200L plastic drums outside, and I could easily keep the water for 6months plus. I must admit though, I was pretty lazy, and I only would change 10% of the tank water every 4-6months as once the tank settled in, water changes are pretty much not needed.

Ben

19. OP
    OP
    Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

Yea I live pretty close to the beach but id still just rather spend the $22, much easier :lol:

20. OP
    OP
    Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

Arrghh god damn it, theres been a blackout at my house since 6am this morning. So thats going on 8 hours now, and according to Energy Aus another 2. But that time has been extended all day.

Any tips for what to do? Main problem is oxygenation of the water im guessing?

Doesnt help being at work :upset: