1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Marine tank water chillers - advice needed

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Jacom, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Jacom

Jacom Member

Hi.

I've got myself a 300 litre marine tank with a birdnose, tomato clown, some glassfish and wrasse.
    Problem is, the heat in summer is raising the tank temperature to over 30 degrees sometimes ( have a lost a few fish :( ).
    The tank is kept inside out of any direct sunlight (only incidental non-direct sunlight gets to it).

Frozen water bottles and fans blowing over the top do help a little, but the fan evaporates the water too quickly and I can't always be there to replace the water bottle, so have been considering chillers.
    I have been told Teco unit's are right up there but are pricey.
    Aqua one's seem more reasonably priced.
    I'll be upgrading the tank *sometime in the future* to a larger 880 litre, so a unit that could be used for that also would be great.
    I've read some units also have UV lights and heaters inbuilt. That'd be nice but not required.
    Any thoughts/recommendations? If it costs alot but is worth it I'd still consider it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  2. !JonZap!

!JonZap! Member

I have been using a Resun for the last couple of years, it has been reliable and is fairly quiet.

3. OP
    OP
    Jacom

Jacom Member

Do you remember the model number? (and or if it does heating/UV filter?)
    I've seen some of those advertised.

4. n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

5. sjp770

sjp770 Member

Haelias or Teco's. I had a Sfiligoi Superflite Chiller for a while but it busted and there were no parts.

Replaced it with a Teco and it didn't skip a beat.

6. Oniell.au

Oniell.au Member

Shame your not in Sydney, I just shut down my tank and have a Hailea HC-150A that I'm about to throw up on the fee bay, could of given it to you for half the cost of a new one, only had it running for 6months.

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.c...-chiller-marine-aquarium-to-400l/prod_38.html

Is where I bought mine from. I was running this on 350L tank and it kept it at at a constant 26 degrees easy. Very quiet and efficient unit too. Had it set to come on at 26.5 degrees and over the space of about 90minutes it would lower it back down so there weren't any huge fluctuations in temperature.

7. OP
    OP
    Jacom

Jacom Member

Oh thank you, yeah Geelong is a bit far away but would have been keen.

Sounds like the Hailea is a good brand then, though still seeing alot of good reviews for the Teco range.
    Might get a Hailea and slowly save up for a future (not sure how far ahead) Teco purchase. (Could then use the Hailea in a future secondary tank).
    Mainly because I really want to get a chiller now but can't afford the top shelf ones.

8. OP
    OP
    Jacom

Jacom Member

9. yoda123

yoda123 Member

Probably too late now, but for future reference they are all similar brand wise. I myself have used both hailea and resun.

Biggest thing is purchase from someone who will uphold the warranty.

One such listed online vendor in this thread, with a name nothing to do with MARINE aquariums I think you would have a very hard time getting any warranty support out of.

10. Dorz

Dorz Member

ive got a HC-500, pretty good chiller. had it cooling my ~650L tank+sump.

just watch the temperature with a proper themometer, dont trust the inbuilt one. they can be up to half a degree out at times.

also, it 'should' kick in the chiller at something like half a degree or a degree above what you set it to, and then cool down to a degree below. i cant remember exactly how far it cools, should say in the manual.