Mass Effect: Andromeda

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by walker_2003, Jun 16, 2015.

1. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

And you forgot they didn't bother to outfit the Tempest, which they knew would be going into hostile territory, with any weapons whatsoever.

2. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

that can sort of be explained. have to remember the whole deal with our story was that a major disaster happened and nothing went the way it was supposed to.

we were given the Tempest to explore as it was the fastest and most well equipped ship for the task. But the whole Initiative should have been on its feet and running for over 12 months prior to the ark arriving. And all arks should have arrived safe and at the same time. had that have happened, we may have been given something else resembling a warship, or wouldn't have even had need for the Tempest.

the Initiative wanted to project itself as a semblance of peace and exploration. yes, it was dumb to not have weapons on the Tempest. but they just weren't ready.

the novel Nexus Uprising goes more into it but you can read online, if you care enough haha. basically the whole thing was a near total catastrophe and when the game starts, only then are we really starting to get a bit of a grasp on the whole situation.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  3. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I don't care!!! Fuckers better put guns on my next ship!!! :lol:

4. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

Hahaha. Fair call

5. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Tempest was designed and manufactured in the Milky Way and then transported to Andromeda.

That's why Kallo mentions he was the only one from the team to travel with it to Andromeda.
    Definitely could have been outfitted with weapons lol.

There are a million different things wrong with the game but in the end I still enjoyed it enough to finish it which is more than I can say for many other AAA titles BUT I expected better from Bioware. To me it felt like a step backwards in quality compared to the original trilogy.

6. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

Yeah it could have, but they didnt want to appear as war mongers. Only now do we realise, it SHOULD have haha.

It wasnt the original Bioware team. AND, imo, their biggest fuck up...they changed the engine. I dont think the environments.would have looked near as good in UE...but everything else would have been better imo

7. DarthWindu

DarthWindu Member

It is, apparently, pronounced "Milky-Way?"

Of the infinite things about this game that irritate me, the male 'voice actor', (using the term in its loosest possible sense) manages to butcher this term in a way that i find personally offensive every time.

8. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

What annoyed me the most was the subtle hint that maybe the tempest could be upgraded with weapons, only to later have that idea thrown in your face as impossible by some casual dialogue you overhear.

Specifically, one of the remnant sniper rifles I think has a note that it could be scaled to a ship size weapon.. Awesome you think, finally some guns. Then nope, argument between the crew about the possibility of mounting any and the idea gets completely quashed. WTF.

9. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Yeh I remember that. Was like "Awww come on! what a lame excuse! I'm sure if you put your head to it you can work something out! Hell, just strap some guns to the hull or something! "

10. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

No they're from "Estraaja" ;)

To me it doesn't feel as epic as the orginal Trilogy, but It's only the first episode. You can't expect too much from it. They're trying to set things up for later games.

When ME1 came out, I think I played it for 40 mins and forgot about the series completely. It wasn't til years later when I gave ME3 a shot that I got hooked into the ME Universe.

11. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

So i've been ignoring the horrible character models, voices and animations and playing a bit more of this.

I have to say, i'm pretty bummed. I'm finding myself not enjoying it very much. Maybe i fell into the hype trap leading up to release, but i think it's lost a lot of it's "Mass Effect-iness". The story has more holes in it than swiss cheese, the dialogue is frankly nauseating and i overall i feel let down.

There are some great bits about it. The outside environments are amazing. The story conceptually is great - but yeh, i don't see myself finishing it :upset:

12. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Easiest way out of that rut is to stop doing the side missions. Just go straight after the priority ops missions. Story moves along a lot quicker that way, only possible downside there being you'll be hitting the final battle with lower tier weapons etc. Meh :)

13. GregDude

GregDude Member

Feeling a lot the same way. I want to rename the game "Mass Effect Andromeda: A series of chores".

I think EvilGenius is right, the main plot is motivating enough. Many of the side quests are uninspired repetition.

Instead of feeling like part of a universe or role playing an adventure or movie, the level design rules and game mechanics stand out instead.

There's also no place in a game like this for quick time choices or quick time events. In combat, you should naturally hammer any button to dislodge something biting you. In conversation, you should be able to make all choices at your leisure.

14. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

i agree on the button mashing thing. but the convo thing, no. i mean, you literally have all the time in the world to select convo choices, none are made for you. even the big decision ones. but those QTE interrupts come from the previous game and are imo a great addition. the weight of them just isnt captured enough this time around like the previous trilogy, since the paragon/renegade system is gone.

hopefully it's something they consider for the next game, returning to the series' roots of not only making you choose what you say and do carefully, but actually giving a shit.

15. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

This is a troll post.

16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

It's a bit of a blur now, I can't remember if it was the game that told me, or a review that said you needed to choose carefully which way you answered questions, ie emotional, professional, logical etc etc because it would affect how other characters interacted with you and different choices later on. I saw absolutely no evidence that anything I said to anyone made any difference, to anything.

17. Ck21

Ck21 Member

the angarian quests on aya, pretty much the only place where it matters

18. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

So I take it you guys aren't fond of the side missions? :D So taking a starship to Kadara to buy some popcorn didn't tickle your fancy? I think my Ryder died a little inside during that mission.

19. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Love how they were saying they'd taken inspiration from Witcher 3.

They did, they took it, then lost it behind the filing cabinet.

20. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

I'm not fond of the time it takes to sit through the SHIT navigation animations.