Mass Effect: Andromeda

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by walker_2003, Jun 16, 2015.

1. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

while i agree for the most part, it is a bit petty from everyone really to focus so much on the animation. im not singling you out here by the way havabeer this isnt directed at you personally ;) sure it is terrible mostly, but since Andromeda every game I have played, be it a 2017 or even 15/16 release, I have taken very close notice of facial queues and animations in relation to emotion and dialogue. Until Andromeda it never really bothered me that much, and even when i noticed it straight away it didnt deter me from playing the game one bit. but once the sickening hate-train that is todays internet community decided to jump on board and aerial bombard the SHIT out of this game, i decided to take a lot more notice of other famed games.

There are some real, real shockers out there that didn't get any kind of rap that Andromeda got. now I know after the ME Original Trilogy the bar was set high and we were expecting greatness, and it wasnt delivered. but still, everyone got their knickers in a knot over fuck all really imo, and the majority of the remaining haters really dont know shit and just jumped on the hate bandwagon and copy/pasted their opinions from the internet because these days, its the common, easy thing to do. unfortunately, we live in a society where the current state is a love to hate. and its pathetic and sad.

of course there are definite genuine distasteful opinions for the game out there, i believe that everyone here on OCAU is genuine in their opinion, and i have personally put by now close to 200hrs into the game across SP/MP and across platforms, yet if i was to give an honest, technical review, it gets a 6 from me. even after all those hours, and i am still playing MP on PS4, there is just too many technical issues to score it any higher if i was to be fair. but i still love playing it, its my type of game.

unfortunately, i just think it was a nice, fresh scapegoat for the community and industry to have another whinge and hate on something new, to feed that sad fire we just cant seem to put out. where its cool to hate.

2. havabeer

havabeer Member

yeah some other games out there might be worse and yes the hype bar was set pretty high for this game which is why it is probably getting the unfavourable reviews it got. I'm still halfway through a witcher 3 second play though and the facial cues in that game are great

even the story is a bit weird, "hey we have this whole huge big team of experts on an expedition to settle another galaxy, but we better turn every mirco-managed decision about how and where to settle over to this total rookie who is still learning the ropes"??

i dunno, i guess i thought settling a new galaxy would be tough, and i thought the people doing would be hard as nails, instead it seems we get a school councillor trying to dance around selective gender kids trying not to offend anyone

also my biggest problem at the moment.... Alt-tabbing, game won't go back into fullscreen afterwards, have to change a setting, revert back and accept for it to refresh into fullscreen mode again

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  3. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Im 70% way through ME2 and after that ill go do ME3 and then finally ill get to Andromeda. Looking forward to getting to it tbh.

4. GregDude

GregDude Member

I'm not sure what all the fuss was about, though my character had a kind of worried look throughout the game. Maybe he was just stressed about the new galaxy and constant life threatening moments?

5. MrBS

MrBS Member

After 25 hours I've shelved the game indefinitely, just not doing it for me. I might come back after a PC upgrade and I can get 4K going.

6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I kinda wish I'd waited to play this game. From what I read around the web they've mostly fixed the glaring issues, so if I'd have played it now I never would have seen most of the bugs that gave this game it's bad rep. I'd have missed out on some laughs, but I'd not have been let down by it. As it was I bought it 10 seconds after it became available because Mass Effect...

What really bothers me now is that because they had to crack the whip so hard and release it before it was ready, now we're going to miss out on the rest of the game. Highly likely there will be no Quarian DLC, or further single player DLC of any kind for an indefinite future. Instead we get to watch them switch their entire focus onto Anthem, which so far to me looks like crysis in a new suit.. boring.

7. power

power Member

if you can get it cheap I'd recommend it, it's still a good game just not an amazing one.

8. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Yeh it's a good game. Don't regret buying it. After you've gone past and ignored the new character models modeled by someone in the 80s, it's pretty fun.

9. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

New patch. Let's see what it fixes...if anything.

EDIT: NUP!!!! Bioware Montreal is completely fucking useless at fixing anything....doesn't even fix the fps drops in cutscenes.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  10. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

only thing that caught my eye is the MP stuff. my Black Widow got a buff apparently ;)

otherwise yeah. at least the X5 can now be dismantled in SP. not that i play SP anymore. will def go back to it at some point. way too many other games now and i've already done MEA twice

11. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Loaded the game since going SLI.

Nope.

10-20 fps, it was shit. So i quit and changed settings in Nvida control panel to make this game single GPU only and i'll test again tonight.

When i first started it with only one Ti, it ran flawlessly...

That reminds me...I should run some benchmarks to see what i get now :lol:

12. power

power Member

I don't know why you'd need SLI with this game, it runs pretty well (30fps cutscenes aside) most of the time.

13. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Not this game specifically, but SLI is always turned on and this was the first game i tried since switching it on. You'd hope it'd just run with only 1 being utilised rather than being gimped :weirdo:

Edit: Though it'd be cool to render at say 4K and downscale to 1440p

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  14. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

i do that, run mine @ 2160 via Nvidia DSR. it looks awesome, as awesome as D3 can look anyway.

15. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Fkn. Just found in Nvidia control panel that was on at 2x resolution...so 2x 1440p apparently. That might explain something :lol:

16. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Also just ran 3dmark and got an error at the end re something, also noticed i wad getting artifacting and noticed cpu was saying 800mhz....

I checked power management and realised instead of setting min power state as 800 inset max cpu state....thats a new setting lol. Well...it fixed it and my 3dmark score is through the roof so going to boot up and try ME:A when its all finished. Could kick myself. But hey, shows what a real cpu bottleneck is like :lol:

17. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

Haha yup. But i also replied to you thinking i was in the Diablo 3 thread, my bad. Had it open at same time

I tried olaying this game @ 4k via DSR and while it looks amazing, my single titan couldn't maintain high enough frames for my liking, even with Gsync.

18. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

SLI is near pointless these days, less and less support from drivers/games.. A shame because 4k 120hz will be impossible to run..

19. p3t0r

p3t0r Member

Finally finished this game! purchased at launch and was on hold for ages while my son was learning to sleep during the night and overnight (still not there yet).

I had lots of fun with the main story and some of the side missions. There are a couple of really grindy missions that I didn't care for - makes me want to replay the original again

20. havabeer

havabeer Member

I played the first three again before dipping my toes in andromeda, need to get back into it. This game does look awesome at proper 4k res, just a bit of stuttering that's killing my mass effect boner