1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by walker_2003, Jun 16, 2015.

1. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Now I feel put off from buying Anthem actually. I think it went to shit when they moved to frostbite cos they can't seem to work well with that engine.

2. power

power Member

Frostbite worked well

The writing, characters and story are what pulled Andromeda down from a great game to mediocre one.

3. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

bioware can't even iron out the bugs in the game while DICE (while they built the engine) know how to get it to work and smoothly.

4. power

power Member

frostbite aside, you don't agree with the rest of my post?

because I can tell you right now that frostbite gave me personally no issues I couldn't live with - what I couldn't live with was everything else. Poor characters, writing and overall story.

5. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I'm quite iffy on the story but I could live with an iffy story if it wasn't suffering from fps drops in cutscenes - that really took me out of the story.

But now it's uninstalled and relegated to the gaming scrap heap, never to be played again.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Just watched this vid on Andromeda. It's nearly an hour long, but sums up what went wrong with Andromeda perfectly, and at the end posits a pretty compelling alternate story line that I think would have been pretty fun to play.

7. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

bout all this is good for is testing HDR monitors.

8. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

it was fun to play with mods. infinite boosting on the vehicle was hilarious

9. MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

I reinstalled it recently and played through it again with a few little mods.

I enjoyed it when I first played it, enjoyed it again second time round. Never understood the hate for it - plays fine for me, story was good for me, graphics were great for me. Guess I was just a lucky one?

Sad we'll never get any DLC or further story stuff though, I was pretty invested in where it was going.

M

10. iNoob

iNoob Member

Yeah overall it was good.

It's sad that we, the consumers probably killed it by overhyping the stupid shit. If it had romance scene level animation start to finish it'd be awesome.

I'm genuinely bummed it's pretty much dead. I would have liked to see how the story would have continued.

I'll probably replay it start to finish properly.

11. kogi

kogi Member

I really don't understand why they would kill it. Combat was fun. I would have thought any story issues could be resolved with a dlc or a complete new chapter

12. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I'm disappointed in there not being any quarian DLC. I'm pretty much on board with that video, I thought the story was lacking, it didn't have anywhere near the depth of the first 3. That said, I played it through and would have played the DLC, if only because of how invested in the mass effect story as a whole I already was. I liked the quarians, I would have played it for that alone.

I think the stupid part here is, after releasing it and it pretty much tanking, they could have put their hands up, said ok we screwed up, let us try again, and then re-released it. It's not like a movie where if you're not happy with the final cut you can't try again. Just about every fan of the mass effect series would have been up for a 2nd go, and if they pulled it off, those who didn't buy in because of the bad reviews the first time around probably would have if the redo was successful. But of course the profit margin was already shot and that's all they care about any more. There's nobody left with any control who actually cares about producing a good product any more.

13. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

^ i said exactly that to a mate other day. I mean i really enjoyed it anyway, but they could have easily said "righto, we fucked some things up. We can redeem this" and give us some memorable DLC.

I just finished reading the 2nd andromeda novel, based on Cora, and its actually a really good read. Apart from making you wanna go back and play ME2, it actually sheds some real light into the whole Andromeda thing and really says to me their is so much potential for redemption, but they cbf doing it.

June or July is the 3rd novel which introduces us to the missing Ark. Really looking forward to reading it...would much rather play it :(

14. kogi

kogi Member

15. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

What a feed of shit. Lets reimagine some history and spin it as marketing for our new game.

16. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I think I have this on origin access.. Might as well install it. But if I remember correctly I didn't finish me3

17. Supersize

Supersize Member

I enjoyed the game, but like Mass Effect 3 the ending makes it so hard to go back and replay the game knowing the outcome is exactly the same.
    It would of been better that there was some true alternative endings so there was more replayability, but alas there's not so the urge to replaythe Mass Effect trilogy and Andromeda fades as quickly as it arises.