Massive Outlook .pst files? suggestions

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Frag, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Frag

Frag Member

Hiyas, a friend I help out with some basic IT stuff has 2x pst files which in total exceed 80gb.

I am wondering how this can be handled so he can keep his files but it doesnt impact performance etc?

Basically he runs a engineering/construction company and the files that are shared around for projects tend to have lots of attachments which add up over a longer period. He needs them as clients often ask for historical stuff. Lately he has been dragging the emails out and putting them into folders but they lose email dates unless he spends time renaming them as well..

I think from my basic reading the best way is to split his pst files down (say by year) ??

Any other suggestions?

2. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Unless he lawfully cannot do so, get that data into the cloud ASAP. A PST file that big is asking for fail on epic proportions. Get him to sign up for an Office 365 account which'll give him 1TB cloud storage.

PST files are a relic of times long past.

leck likes this.
  3. philquad

philquad Member

back them up 1st anyway
    i had 1 of those "friends" i split them up into years but on the hosting server
    i guess several pst files would be safer but Capt-I has the epic response lol
    apparently imap is evil too

4. OP
    OP
    Frag

Frag Member

He does have office 365 so will look into that, sorry I'm that far behind in what happens in real world IT.

5. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Could try compressing;
    I'd set up an archive inbox so he can view old emails if needed, but only have the last 6 - 12 months in the main inbox.

JSmith

philquad likes this.
  6. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Turn off shared mailbox caching and set keep offline to 1 month, then do a compress on the PST as above and you should see it come right down. The files are likely to stop working if either of them reaches 50gb... might not but have seen it heaps of times, take care of it before it gets there.

Frag likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Frag

Frag Member

Thanks guys