Master Stock at home

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Sifaga, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Sifaga

Sifaga Member

Ive seen on TV how they make a master stock and then just keep feeding it

does anyone do this at home

i would like to try one at home

what do i put in it to start it off

2. username_taken

username_taken Member

I wouldn't bother with a master stock for home. Better just to make a stock from kitchen scraps every other week. whenever you're cutting up veges, wash them and keep the skins, offcuts etc in a large ziplock bag in the freezer. Carrots, Onion, Celery, Garlic, Herbs are all good. Some things like cauliflower don't work so well.

When you've got enough collected throw them in a stockpot with water and some beef shins or a whole chicken ( skinned and main segments seperated ) and simmer for a few hours. If you don't have enough scrap, just use fresh veges obviously.

If you have a slow cooker it's even easier, just dump it all in the slow cooker on high for a few hours, then reduce it to low.

3. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

I have a permanent quantity of beef stock in my freezer :) It keeps for 3 months. If I don't use it all up, i'll make a soup or a risotto and then make a fresh batch.

4. infernooo

infernooo Member

*Raises Hand*

My Chinese style master stock has been going for about 20 months now... the depth of flavour is simply amazing (so many ducks, pork bellies and chickens have been poached in it, as well as the garlic, ginger, spring onions, rock sugar, spices, soy, wine etc). You do have to look after it though if you don't use it regularly, including boiling it at least once a week and keeping it refrigerated the rest of the time.

5. renagade

renagade Member

Holy Crap
    I don't think there is anything about a week old 1.

6. sormuijai

sormuijai Member

Keep the master stock in the freezer when not using. It'll last ages that way. I have no idea how long we've had our master stock for. :wired: I'm sure its going to be handed down through the generations of our family :rolleyes:

Basically its a combination of chinese herbs like star anise, cinamon, ginger etc etc. You can buy premixed packs from the asian grocery store. Ask for the spice mix you use to make soya chicken.

Everytime you use it, add more herbs, more soya sauce, more sugar, more everything. Once you're done with it, strain it and shove it back into the freezer.

7. wazzas

wazzas Member

8. AussieHusky

AussieHusky Member

I tend not to bother with stock to be honest, the stock cubes have way too much salt in them and I find they ruin the flavour of whatever theyre in. The premade stocks in a carton taste okay but theyre extremely expensive for what they are, and generally I cbf making stock from scratch.

9. Smegger

Smegger Member

You cannot compare real stock to cubes.
    Vegeta has it's place, stock cubes do not. Premade liquid stock is vastly superior to cubes and home-made stock is light years ahead again. It's really not that hard, unless your incredibly lazy.

Even if you have to buy some of the components, stock is cheap and easy. Try this, go to your local supermarket, butcher, fresh chicken place and get 3-6 chicken carcasses, should be a few bucks. Large pot(stock pots are tall and narrow to minimise evaporation but whatever will do) add bones, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover with water.
    Now, even if you have nothing else to add this will make a basic chicken stock that is hugely better than the stuff you buy. However if you add some old celery, onions and carrot just busted up roughly, you will make a lovely, traditional chicken stock. Simmer until the chicken bones are soft, then all the collagen has been cooked out.
    Strain(squash the crap out of the ingredients) cool and refrigerate. Remove the circle of fat that hardens on top and portion for the freezer.
    Oh, btw if the stock isn't like jelly after refrigeration you didn't simmer it enough.

If you portion it into those round take away salad containers it's incredibly handy.....

The entire time you spend doing it will add up to less than it took me to type this post. Not including cleanup if your like my son.....

10. Emrikol

Emrikol Member

Just this evening I put a gallon and a half of chicken stock up in the freezer.

I had chilled it in the fridge so I could get the fat off the top, and it turned into such a delicious smelling gelatin.

11. scon

scon Member

Any time we have a roast chook or something like that, i just chuck the carcasses in the freezer, then make stock from them on a weekend when i've got some time. Takes about 10 minutes of prep, plus an hour or so on the stove - it's a great investment.