Masticating Juicer - Good retailer or distrubutor

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by BurningFeetMan, Jul 6, 2009.

1. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a quality masticating juicer, one that will last me a good decade. The problem is, I look them up online but all I can find is dodgy looking websites with product case studies from the 50's.

A quick search around the local shopping mall told me that the only juicer easily bought in store is a centrifugal juicer, which I don't really want as they're a pain in the arse to clean up after juicing one glass of juice.

Masticating juicers look rad, I believe I can take the components off, dump them in the sink and wash over a couple of seconds. Plus they can make peanut butter... :) Although I'm mainly wanting to juice apples and carrots. MMMmmm.

So yes, your thoughts on a place to pick up a decent masticating juicer.

2. Big Trev

Big Trev Member

Champion are the go. They're expensive, but look like they'll last forever.

I bought mine used years ago, so I'm not much help to you as to where to buy.

Here's the Australian website though: http://www.championjuicer.com.au/

3. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I find them not that easy to clean with the filters etc. Try Your Habitat for them, I cannot see them on there site, Tas and ACT only stores. Hospitality Plus may have them.

4. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Compared to cleaning a centrifugal juicer, anything is easy, no matter what's been through it! Centrifugal are just just awful to clean, with pulp going in every corner it can, not to mention the main blending/juicing blade, very awkward to clean.

5. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Point taken BFM, I have cleaned the filters after making an anti cold concoction of lemon, garlic and ginger and it was a pain to clean.

6. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Yeah, exactly. I wanna make a juice, drink it, and run off to work, leaving the stuff in the sink to clean later... lazy, but meh. :)

This looks interesting,

http://www.youtube.com/user/JuicerReviews

Juicer Reviews on youtube.

7. seb

seb Member

The masticating ones have also been shown to have a higher vitamin content, and go brown (oxidise) much more slowly than juice produced by centrifugal models.

http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=105980&catId=100168&tid=100008

The first two masticating models CHOICE looked at were very expensive:

Greenpower Hippocrates GPT-E1303
    Oscar Pro DA-930
    Healthstart Compact Multipurpose Juicer and Mincer

The other two scored lower for ease of use but still worked well:

Oscar 900 VitalMAX Chrome Juicer
    Champion 2000+ Juicer

If you do a Google search for the model name with the word "price" you will find web sites that sell these models in Aus.

You can also start here: http://www.vitality4life.com.au/

8. porridge

porridge New Member

Theres nothing like frozen fruit through a champion juicer.

9. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

I have a Champion juicer that's around 20 years old - still going strong, that motor is tough as nails and even juices coconuts!

My Dad has a Hippocrates, expensive as anything but far superior. The chute is much wider, meaning you don't have to chop your fruit as fine, and it oxidises much less. Also, the pulp coming out is much drier, meaning more of the good stuff is going into the glass.
    They are both easy to clean, but I wouldn't recommend your idea of chucking it in the sink and washing it later. Oftentimes, juices have a slight acidity, and can react with the metal on some of the parts. It's only a few seconds to wash them in warm, soapy water anyway. I know with my Champion, you also have to dry it and oil it right away to prevent it from rusting, but I'm not so sure about my Dad's newer Hippocrates.

They got theirs about 5 years ago, I think from memory they had to order it from the US. But I could be mistaken, I just remember them waiting a while for it to come - you certainly don't get them from your local retailer!

10. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

That's what I'm struggling to understand. Is there simply zero market for juicers in Australia, other than using dodgy looking websites?

11. UB3R

UB3R Member

WTF! :Paranoid:

12. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

BFM if you are in Melbourne you can check out The Essential Ingredient in Prahran. I have seen Champion masticating juicers there.

13. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

My parents have a Samson.

14. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Nah, I'm at Sydney at the moment. Gonna look more of these juicers up on youtube. :)

15. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

So I pulled out my champion to have a look: couldn't find out the year it was manufactured, but I reckon it would be early 90's at the latest. (Just in case you wanted to know, UB3R!)

From http://stores.vitality4life.com.au/Items/juicer_champion?gclid=CMjb1uWPwZsCFRZCagodC0UHAA
    So it's not that crazy that it would be that old and still going strong.

Anyway, the point of my post wasn't to waffle on about my super-strong juicer - it actually has a contact number on it. It says for sales of Champion Juicers, not servicing and parts.
    (08)87521647 - it's in SA, so just call after 9.30am!

Oh, and about wheatgrass not going through (as I'm sure you've read on reviews by now!) I've never had a problem. I put my wheatgrass/parsley/baby spinach leaves all through in stages, and accompanied with large volumes of other vegies I'm juicing at the same time, and they go fine. I think if I was going to do a whole heap of green leafies on their own, they would get caught up on the blades, but with other stuff they are fine.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  16. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I found a seller that's not too far from work, Peters Of Kensington, and they have a model that's very cool, called "The Omega Vitalmac 900". It has a 20 year warranty on the motor! (5 year on all the other parts)

They appear to be having their stock take sale as we speak, so I'm gonna try and pick one up this week. Dare I make JUICER videos and post them to youtube. :Paranoid:

17. seb

seb Member

Only attempt YouTube after improving reading and comprehension first. ;)

"Oscar - Chrome VitalMax 900 Juicer" is the item on special

$399 at Peters.

$495 at http://stores.vitality4life.com.au/Juicers/ and www.vital-juicers.com.au and stores.detoxlounge.com.au

$424 at sprout.net.au

$540 at raw-pleasure.com.au

$405 OBO on ebay au.

sorry, I'm bored.

18. DavoRulz

DavoRulz (Banned or Deleted)

Try the Healthstart Compact. Similar to the Oscar, better warranty on the motor and it's heaps cheaper @ $269. Scored well in the Choice test, and it was on Masterchef the other night as their mincer/sausage maker. (www.tohealth.com.au)

If you want to do leafy greens on their own a Champion won't do shit for you.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  19. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I have liquid carrot in my gut, and it's fucking awesome ^_^_^_^_^_^

I picked up the Oscar at lunch time. At this point in time I have no regrets. :)

20. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

oh my god!

One pear...

one mandarin...

ENTIRE GLASS OF JUICE