1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Max WiFi 802.11ax

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Agg, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Sixth generation WiFi is on the way: http://maxwifi.org/ - The newest generation of Wi-Fi was designed with the goal to consistently and reliably improve throughput per user by at least 4 times in dense or congested environments.

Broadcomm have announced Max WiFi chips. Max WiFi is the sixth generation of Wi-Fi and the most powerful standard yet, with innovations that go beyond speed. Max WiFi supports delivery of simultaneous video, voice, data and IOT services to an ever-increasing number of wireless devices. This means that steady, high-speed Wi-Fi with unprecedented quality of service is available wherever consumers want it: homes, offices and high-traffic public venues such as stadiums. Max WiFi’s unique architecture is also optimized for internet upload, making social media live-streaming and cloud storage seamless.

Here's an article saying it's the next big thing. One technology that does promise to live up to the hype is 802.11ax, the next standard for wireless LANs. I say that because this next generation of Wi-Fi was engineered for the world we live in where everything is connected and there’s an assumption that upload and download traffic will be equivalent. Previous generations of Wi-Fi assumed more casual use and that there would be far more downloading of information than uploading.

2. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

I get really annoyed at articles like this that try to bridge the gap between laymens yet use the wrong terms

it's a symbol not a packet, your link layer doesn't increase your packet size.

And yay something else to chew up even more spectrum, we need to change the way we deploy wifi to not create the biggest coverage possible and overlap them all everywhere.

3. noober69

noober69 Member

Noob question: a lot of this seems to be different ways of handling the data over same existing frequencies.

Will existing AC wireless devices be able to upgrade via firmware to obtain some benefits or will it be completely stand alone and require mostly as new system?

I accept that my existing AC unit may not be able to do 160Mhz channels, but some of the other benefits may well be able to be incorporated.

For domestic use, where we are limited by wan speed, disk throughput and streaming 1080p material, I wonder whether this is going to have a large impact? At present I think only 2 devices in my house are AC: a ubiquiti AP and my phone.

A big issue for me is range and I don't see much in AX that helps that.

4. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

Let's see how it performs once hardware is available for us to buy

5. power

power Member

something makes me think this won't be max wifi.

6. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

they've quadrupled the Guard Interval to 3200 ns, this aids in propagation delays.

although my definition of range may be far greater than your definition.

802.11AC MU-MIMO is already here today.

7. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Very few client devices support it at present; 802.11ax in consumer devices will imply the 802.11ac wave2 MU-MIMO support, so it's still worth getting excited about.

The big thing with 802.11ax is that we'll see it in consumer devices long before it hits the enterprise.

8. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

No. You've got buckley's chance.

9. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

WiFi already uses QAM, 64-QAM with 802.11g increasing to 256-QAM in 802.11ac. 802.11ax increases that to 1024-QAM, which theoretically could increase throughput by 4x, but that will drop off rapidly with distance/interference/noise.

On the plus size, increasing the QAM gives increased throughput for the same bandwidth.

Unfortunately things like the modulation can't be upgraded via firmware, it's built right into the hardware.

10. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Oh yes i love QAM, i love MU-MIMO.

I just dislike the marketing, how many people actually use 40/80/160 mhz channels? pull out insider and they are mostly 20mhz channels around everywhere, i feel that the wifi alliance is driven my marketing bigger and bugger numbers but not actually having good engineers to drive it into a better direction. Its the same with bufferbloat and queuing there is a small section of people that are avoiding big numbers but aiming to provide better performance that suits the real-time nature of the applications we use.