1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Maximising LR performance

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by mr_wrxman, May 9, 2016.

1. mr_wrxman

mr_wrxman Member

Just wanted people's opinions and/or processes to improve performance of Lightroom.

Interested to know if file formats make a difference? Anyone use DNG and know if that makes a difference as opposed to your camera's RAW format? One for the Nikon guys - lossless NEF vs uncompressed, any impact here?

One thing for me is I've removed sharpening from my development preset which I apply on import.

Also thinking to change my workflow to on render minimal previews until I cull and then generate 1:1 previews on the photos i actually plan to work with.

2. The_Shadow

The_Shadow Member

My current and last camera's native format is DNG so I cant really comment on that in terms of performance.

I do start a new catalog for every shoot I'm processing which definitely helped.

3. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

First of all, dont even think about culling in LR. You can really improve your workflow by using a quicker application such as PM.. so I would definitely go and invest in Photomechanic http://www.camerabits.com/

Once you finish culling then create your catalog/do your import.

Individual catalogs for each shoot makes it a bit easier. Performance wise once the catalogs get massive they can slow performance, but it depends on how much you shoot.

If you want to work fast your best move is to move to Smart Previews. This isnt just rendering smart previews, but generate smart previews and move the Catalog + Smart Previews to a working drive where it cant access the original raws (so it has to read and work off the smart previews). This will net you one of the biggest performance increases in LR.

File wise, no real difference between using added RAW files or converted DNG. The slowness essentially comes back to how LR is reading files and that is based off the previews you create. So switching to Smart Previews will reduce this factor significantly.

Some things you apply in preset can slow things (like sharpening) but its a bit moot. If you can remember to batch sharpen before you export then you can do this. I do all my Noise Reduction as a final step before I export.

If you are on LR5 stay on LR5 dont upgrade to 6 or CC.. or roll back to it if you can.

Have a couple of SSD's in your system as scratch disks or working drives/loading drives is a great way to maximise hardware performance. Also I try to make sure to restart LR periodically so it refreshes itself. Overtime it just goes a bit haywire tbh.

I edit/view thousands of images in LR each week.. many thousands and this is how I have netted the best performance. Its still a clunky bit of software and I usually hold back on fresh CC updates.

I have to run LR5 and LRCC for our editing clients who use a mix of versions still. However I still personally use LR5 for all my work.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  4. sejanus

sejanus Member

bloody awful software

I have pretty much the fastest pc I can build and it is still slow enough to make me swear at it.

5. kingbob86

kingbob86 Member

Do smart previews on import (you can set them to expire after a certain period of time so they don't take up huge amounts of space for long periods) put the catalogue and photos on an SSD and have a decent processor as LR is more processor intensive than RAM I find.

6. Michael H

Michael H Member

7. dche5390

dche5390 Member

I edit everything on a MacBook Air :wired:

Fun.

8. sejanus

sejanus Member

i was happy on my 27" imac until i started using the medium format. it was near unusable!

This PC I have is a beast. But LR is still a slug of a program.

9. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Develop is an absolute choker in 4K; cropping/adjusting levels on 24mp files has a sec's lag at best. Been tempted to drop screen res but once you get used to 4K, there is no going back... :wired:

Some optimisation tips here.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  10. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

i found a huge boost in performance with hardware acceleration on GPU
    unfortunately my ATI card crashes with it enabled :lol:

11. sejanus

sejanus Member

i went crazy on my hardware

i7-6700k @ 4.8ghz
    32gb ram 3200mhz
    512gb m.2 ssd (this thing rips)
    2 x 1tb samsung ssd drives in raid 0
    gtx 980 ti (overkill I'm sure but games....)

it chews through 1dx raws as if they were jpegs but the 51mp raws are still a bit annoying. Exports still take ages but well over 2x faster than the imac.

The only thing I wonder is if I should have bought a 6 or 8 core cpu instead of a higher clocked 4 core.

12. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Well, if you have issues, end of thread...

What sort of display/res are you running?

13. sejanus

sejanus Member

The dell 32" 4k as my main and the benq 32" 4k as my secondary.

14. wiztek

wiztek Member

I have to minimise LR5 to a quarter of the screen size on my retina 27" iMac :(

15. Xang

Xang Member

Pretty much exactly what I'll be picking up before EOFY.

LR soaks up the CPU clock rather than splitting across cores, so I think the 4-core is the right choice.

I'm not going 4K screen and still on a D750 though so hoping the performance should be acceptable :)

16. wiztek

wiztek Member

How much does a PC like that cost these days?

17. sejanus

sejanus Member

i cant remember exactly but i think roughly 5k before screens. The vid card was 1k of that and probably totally unneeded. It has some other bits like water cooling, card readers etc.

What surprised me is how incredibly stable it is. Running Win10 - literally not 1 crash in prob 6-7 months now. Coming from mac land I expected a few annoyances but it's like a rock.

The only problem I ever had was when I upgraded the bios once it blew away my raid drives but it was easy to fix.

edit - loooked up invoice. system was $3300 + $600 for the m.2 ssd drive + $1100 for the vid card)

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  18. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

Anyone noticed and/or got a fix for LR using 100% CPU when switching between Fuji RAWs (x100S in my case) in the develop module? I can't find anything googling as there's a lot of noise from the general poor rendering of the X-TRANS stuff.

I don't seem to get the same horrible CPU utilisation for any actions once it's loaded (except for exports etc. but they're manageable) but it definitely makes running through a bunch of Fuji files fairly painful (and hot!). Having GPU turned on seems to make a small difference to files that haven't had any adjustments made yet (maybe?!).

I've just done a fresh install of Windows 10 and reinstalled LR CC and it's still bugging me. Cache is set to 15GB but I doubt that's got much to do with it - files from my D810 hover around 35% under the same circumstance.

Catalog and LR is on an SSD and files on an HDD.

19. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I have no lag on mine and I run 4096x2160 and use 36mp files.

I looked not long ago into an upgrade of my system and found some actual research that showed Adobe products scale poorly above 4 cores. So the fastest 4 core CPU works best.