MaxKeyboard Nighthawk X8/X9 Mechanical Keybaords

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by fuller2002, Apr 18, 2012.

1. mark_vr_limited

mark_vr_limited Member

This looks like a very promising keyboard. Ive been stuck deciding between a filco tkl w/ brown, a ducky shine and now this... I like backlighting and this seems to cover all the areas in which the shine lets down. But whats the actual quality like. Im concerned with the cheaply used plastic as it might not feel solid like a tkl filco. I also like the additional wrist rest so overall its very appealing.

Im interested in the group buy as long as it wont take weeks to arive.

2. OP
    OP
    fuller2002

fuller2002 Member

Well I ordered one last night so should have it within 7 days and I can let you know what the build quality is like.

In one of the reviews they guy said it didn't feel as solid as some of the rage proof boards but went on to say unless you actually rage on this thing you won't have a problem its very solid just not as solid as some others regarding plastic thickness.

I highly doubt it will be an issue, i mean have you ever broken a keyboard case ever? Even the cheap microsoft ones hold up to years and years of use its a non issue.

3. kandrews

kandrews Member

Keyboards need to be made......tougher.

I have successfully broken a few keyboards over the years. That is why I buy lots. When one goes you switch in a new one straight away.

I have issues, hence the keyboards really do suffer under my ownership. It's the only implement that can be pounded upon until it gives in either by cracking, the membrane/plate buckles/breaks or the actual keys pop-off/crack.

That is why I love Model-Ms so much. I have a hard time trying to destroy one with my bare hands. But I'm close with one Lexmark made model it's starting to give up.

4. mark_vr_limited

mark_vr_limited Member

Anyone know how the group buy works? It says different addresses so does that mean just find 10 people and it gets sent to each of their addresses? That's a fairly odd group buy but I'm in if that's the case. Who else wants in?

5. OP
    OP
    fuller2002

fuller2002 Member

I joined the group buy over on custom pc reviews forums and the guy organising it just gave me a code that works at the checkout. Not really a group buy or sorts so not sure how it works as i chose a customised model punched in the code and got 20% off :D

6. mark_vr_limited

mark_vr_limited Member

Hey fuller any news on your keyboard? Let us know what u think of it. Hopefully mine will be here in the next few days.

7. OP
    OP
    fuller2002

fuller2002 Member

Hey man,

Tracking says it will be here today, so when I get home ill be opening it straight up and let you know :thumbup:

Did you go for a custom color setup or just the stock? X8 or X9?

I went X8 with custom LEDs for all options, so keen to get this bad boy

8. mark_vr_limited

mark_vr_limited Member

Mine literally arived like 10minutes ago. I am typing on it now and it feels very nice. I went with the red esc green wasd and green function. Its very nice lit up. So far very happy. Its not as fun to type on compared with the blue cherry (tested my friends black widow the other day) but for night time I can see it will be much better in not keeping people awake. It would be nice to find someone that is game enough to change the leds on the keyboard. Would be good to customize this even further.

9. OP
    OP
    fuller2002

fuller2002 Member

Nice one, they attempted delievery at 9:58am :/

I ordered some rubber washers from wasd.com to quiet it down even more and to add a nicer feel if i bottom out keys, interested to see the difference these little rubber o-rings make

10. mark_vr_limited

mark_vr_limited Member

Ya how much were they? Let us know how it turns out. The more I type on this the better it feels. I would be worried about the orings making the keys "mushier" as they call it.

11. OP
    OP
    fuller2002

fuller2002 Member

Just got back from the post office, typing on it now. The custom LED's look awesome, the brightness on them is really nice too. The rise pad is a nice bonus i really like resting my risks on it :p

ATM i find it a bit loud (first mechanical keyboard) but I'm still learning to type without bottoming out all the time but the space bar makes a lot of noise that annoys me i guess my thumb hits it hard and it makes a different sound than the other keys so will be interested to see how much quieter the o-rings make it.

12. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

I'm also very interested in this keyboard...

Would love to hear how these rubber o-rings work out.

Also, can you upload a video by chance showing how loud it is?
    Long shot I know, but also my first Mechanical Keyboard, so want to do my research first. :lol:

13. OP
    OP
    fuller2002

fuller2002 Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_srjKys2UE

Thats a video review which shows how loud they are, they will be as loud as any other mechanical keyboard with the same switches.

So for the X8 it will be as loud as anyother keyboard with brown switches and the X9 as the Reds.

14. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

My Full custom X8 has just arrived.

Can't wait to give it a go, but will have to wait until tonight.

Will post up some picture and impressions.

I also ordered some 40a rubber O-rings from WASD, but those will be another 2-3 weeks away, but I'll post up some impressions with and without them.

I must say that the guys over at Max Keyboard were magnificent to deal with, they answered every email, allowed me to change my mind on colours and keys numerous times during the process and delivered the keyboard in 3 working days! (Note: Delivery was $51) Overall I spent just shy of $AUD200, but the level of custom service has certainly made every cent seem worth it. Now I just hope the keyboard itself matches the service ;)

15. mark_vr_limited

mark_vr_limited Member

The keyboard itself is very nice IMO. Ive been using it for 2 weeks or so and it ticks all the boxes.

I am however thinking I may like blue switches more than the browns. I kind of wish I had that clicky sound...

16. OP
    OP
    fuller2002

fuller2002 Member

Nice one guys, mine has been going strong and I love it, the LEDs are super bright and the keyboard feels great, I also ordered the 40a rubber o rings from wasd as well as a key puller it came within a week so you might not be waiting 3 after all! Much quieter with the o ring mod but if your not bottoming out then the noise is the same, just good for me while I got used to using a mechanical keyboard for the first time to have them as the noise could bother some I guess, plus it adds a nice cushioning feeling when you bottom out, I enjoy it for gaming as it feels easier on the fingers :p

17. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

I just spent $200 on a topre.
    I guess I win :confused:

18. Anomalous

Anomalous Member

I think we all lose for spending $200 on a keyboard.

19. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

I hate so say it but... yes :(

20. OP
    OP
    fuller2002

fuller2002 Member

Good news everybody!

I WON one of these keyboards from Custom PC Review, (where we got the discount codes from) so massive thanks to Sam over there and obviously maxkeyboard for putting the comp on. :thumbup:

Might try the X9 see what the red switches are like.. oooo apparently i get 11 customisations also! nice

Last edited: May 8, 2012