1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

MBP "killing" monitors?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by trackhappy, Jan 18, 2016.

1. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

So this is a weird one. Just got a MacBook Pro and I really like it, but it does something weird to my monitors.

Initially, I thought it could be a dodgy DisplayPort cable or the monitor was dying or something, but since I just got another one (so two U2711s) I'm convinced it's something weirder.

Basically, sometimes when waking from sleep, I will not be able to turn my monitors on (I turn them off when not in use, generally). It's pretty much as if the monitor has died in its sleep, but it happens on both. I can't turn them on, buttons do nothing, can't remove DisplayPort cable and then turn it on, nothing. The only way to get them to respond again, is to unplug them, and leave them unplugged long enough for the caps in the power supply to drain, which when in an off state, takes a while. After I plug them back in, good as new.

This issue only ever started happening when I got the Mac, hasn't happened on any other computer or input device I have ever tried.

What I think is happening, is the Mac is potentially sending the monitors a weird DDC/CI command that the monitor either doesn't recognise, or it hits a firmware bug in the monitors and causes them to crash. This only happens when the monitor is *off* though. Not in standby or any other mode (that I am aware).

I've only just now thought of DDC/CI commands as I was typing this, but I've committed to much too this thread to go back now. :lol: Just wondering if I was on the right track.

Anyone else had this issue and can possibly explain further? Would like to know what's going on.

Cheers

2. memnoch

memnoch Member

I have a U2711 and it sometimes does something similar when using the display port on my MBP.

What I normally do is have to flip the lid up on the laptop to wake it up, then re-plug-in the mini display port on the mac. Then the monitor will start detecting the signal.

3. power

power Member

Displayport works differently to HDMI it'll be not detecting it correctly or something.

Are there any new drivers for the MBP?

Not really a fan of DP.

4. knowskillz

knowskillz Member