1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

md vs mp3 player

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by n0013, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Aesir

Aesir Member

Well I've got a longish history with both kinds of these digital players. Back on one of my trips to Hong Kong a far few years ago now (3-4) we picked up a Sharp MD n20 (I think) which Mum now sometimes uses. We also got a Pine MP3 player SM-320V one of the players that seemed to be reviewed everywhere and it was pretty good with it's built in microphone, but it only has 32MB storage so I could store very few songs on it (under 30mins). But with the MD I would use the optical out from my SB Live 5.1 Plat's 'Live! Drive' and record my MP3's to 1x Atrac and I was pleased with the results. But there was no possibility of ever being able to run with the player without it skipping to a stop.

On another more recent trip to Hong Kong at the end of 2002 I picked up a Sony NetMD N505 along with 10 MD's and have never been happier. It's soo quick and easy to move my MP3's to my NetMD using the USB cable. hooked to the computer I havn't even touched to other cords that came with it. By buying in Hong Kong we saved $100 or so. I have pretty much never heard it skip even when running and it's in a cargo pant style pocket. I record my MP3's with 2x Atrac compression which means I can fit almost 2 1/2 hours of songs. I set it to shuffle repeat and go on my way. It's as easy as a dedicated MP3 player. I also cut MD's for my friend who doesn't have any good MP3's (he's a n00b) nor a NetMD. It's so easy and fast.

The OpenMG software is pretty good, you can even use realplayer (worse) the 3 time checkout thing is easily overcome by deleting the song from OpenMG and reimporting it.

Anyway I guess I'm all pro MD because it suits me so well, and I don't have that many songs that I always want to listen to.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2003
  2. titan

titan Member

i have both a sharp md and a teac mp3cd player. I have to admit that i like the sound of the md better (sharp sounds better than most mds), but the convenience of the mp3 cds is great. I can rip my cds in 44KHz/128Kbs and fit about 13 full albums on the one cd. I would much rather walk around with 1 cd than 13 :). hdd player would be the ultimate though :eek:

3. Sefu

Sefu Member

Sony is trying to promote their NetMD range as MP3 players so it wouldnt be far before people start calling MDs mp3 players.
    MD technology has been around for 10 years now, it has only started to pick up here in Australia.

4. NTBlowz

NTBlowz Member

I got mp3 player cos it cheap! (NZ$40 2nd hand :D )

Btw I think MD have better sound than most MP3 players..

5. mindstormr

mindstormr Member

I have a mzr909
    and i can say its pretty good all round

its audio is okay..... its not too heavy, its got a great metal finish
    but now i feel its getting a little chunky

:S

6. echelon

echelon Member

I was shopping for mds around feb last year, and deliberatly avoided the net mds and bought a stock standard recorder with long play.

Saved a lot of money and I'm still enjoying the awesome sound quality of md. MP3 is balls. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY sound quality.

7. titan

titan Member

just don't complain everytime you have to spend 74mins recording an md

8. echelon

echelon Member

I don't. They sound better.

9. Syphon

Syphon Member

well IMO, the MD vs MP3 sound quality argument is pretty pointless.

i have some CDs that sound absolutely shite and some that are very VERY well recorded (the difference is very noticeable)

so if the CD sounds like shite, whether u convert to MP3 or rip to MD, the sound will still be shite ;)

with some music, i can't even notice the difference between mp3 and CD (ie. pretty averagely recorded) but with some music, there is an huge difference...

also, i reckon that different types of music sound better than others in the compressed format.

eg. trance whether it be MP3 or CD, sounds the same (to me anyway)

but the compressions can be heard clearly with metallica or the like

10. Sefu

Sefu Member

Thats a good point. if the original CD is crap then the ripped version will worst.

Audio is a very subjective matter, so what sounds good to you may sound bad for me.

my 2 cents :)

11. Syphon

Syphon Member

agreed. also, what u may be willing to pay for a portable music device may not be the same as me :)

12. Sefu

Sefu Member

True thats why I feel a debate between MD and MP3 is a ongoing mess. Everyone has their own subjective opinions.

13. AlanC

AlanC Member

I don't think anyone can stand sound quality in LP4 mode.

14. echelon

echelon Member

The argument here isn't about the sound quality of the origional recording, but the compression issues that are so prevalent in mp3 rips. MD has none of these problems, unless high-level long-play compression is applied.

Given a single recording, one of average quality, MD final playback quality will far surpass that of mp3.

15. Syphon

Syphon Member

not in my experience. some MP3s have sounded pretty close to exactly how it came on the CD (be it crap or good)

16. KyocEr@~*

KyocEr@~* Member

I'd still prefer a Network Walkman over either iPod or MD.. it's smaller, sexier, costs a hell of a lot, and if you have enough money to keep buying 128 MB Memory Sticks, it'd be such an awesome toy...

Can't wait for one with Memory Stick Duo to come out, even smaller, and even larger capacity!!!

17. click__head

click__head Member

I have a Teac MP3 CD player, but when I listen to MP3's on it they constantly "pop/beep", it is really annoying, the MP3's sound fine when I play them on my PC!

So now I use it to listen to audio CD's only, which is a waste because I could have bought a higher quality audio CD walkman instead of getting a cheap MP3 CD walkman!!

18. iKey

iKey (Banned or Deleted)

mzn-10 .. looking for one of these.

they record as fast as putting songs on an mp3 player anyways.

And best thing is you can change md's whereas you have to delete the mp3s off the mp3 player to put new songs on.

19. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

I own a Nomad Zen 20gig Model. Its been a excellent performer since I purchased it. It has firewire and usb connections. I use firewire and it takes like 1-2 secs to transfer a 192kb song.

over 10 hr battery life is the best feature, takes between 2-3 hrs to fully charge. The only regret I have is not getting the FM remote with it. Its a bit pricey at around $800 but as far as I am concerned worth every cent.

20. ekzistenz

ekzistenz Member

If you use proper ripping software mp3s can sound basically the same as audio cds. For example if I use Exact Audio Copy to rip cds and Lame to encode them, VBR, they sound the same as audio cds to me.