1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Measure your Internet Connection.

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by VooDoo, Nov 25, 2006.

?

What type(s) of Internet access do you have?

1. Digital Subscriber Line (DSLR/SHDSL/VDSL/ADSL1/ADSL2/ADSL2+)

66 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. ATM/Frame Relay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. WiMAX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ISDN

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Satellite

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  6. Dial-up Modem (!)

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  7. NBN Fibre to the Home (FTTP/FTTH)

127 vote(s)
    21.3%
  8. NBN Fibre to the Node (FTTN)

130 vote(s)
    21.8%
  9. NBN Fibre to the Basement (FTTB)

8 vote(s)
    1.3%
  10. NBN Fibre to the Curb/Distribution Point (FTTC/FTTdp)

46 vote(s)
    7.7%
  11. NBN Cable (HFC)

108 vote(s)
    18.1%
  12. NBN Fixed Wireless

11 vote(s)
    1.8%
  13. Wireless ISP (not NBN)

16 vote(s)
    2.7%
  14. Telstra/Optus Cable (not NBN)

50 vote(s)
    8.4%
  15. MPLS (not NBN)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Fibre (not NBN)

20 vote(s)
    3.4%
  17. Mobile/Cell Broadband (3G/4G/HSDPA/LTE, etc)

34 vote(s)
    5.7%
  18. Non-commercial (community effort, etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Free (public wifi hotspots, war-driving, neighbour's unsecured wifi, etc)

4 vote(s)
    0.7%
  20. Sneakernet/Carrier Pigeon

3 vote(s)
    0.5%
  21. Candy string and two tins

12 vote(s)
    2.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Blinky

Blinky Member

Launtel with NBN Fiber 400/50 speed tier.

[​IMG]

2. Sneakypuss

Sneakypuss Member

Where's the other 500 or can you get a 450-500mb fan with them or something?

Nvm still waking up. That seems like quiet a bit of slack they're giving for overhead on the down. Bonus 50mpbs nice

Are you running lots of open connections atm or did they only provision the exact amount of upload instead of 53-54mbps etc to actually give you 50up

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

4. ddoth

ddoth Member

[​IMG]

Supposed to get an upgrade this year, at some point.

GDavid and Sneakypuss like this.
  5. Blinky

Blinky Member

Are you guys on slow plans by choice or are your links as fast as they will go? I wonder if anything would change with a new federal government?

6. Sneakypuss

Sneakypuss Member

They're most likely fast as they will go, change in government will have no effect unfortunately

7. Blinky

Blinky Member

Why is that?
    The NBN is paying back much faster than it needs to be, the extra money could be / (should be) repurposed by building out greater fiber connectivity within the network.

Sneakypuss likes this.
  8. ddoth

ddoth Member

That's all she's got.

9. Blinky

Blinky Member

What are you on ddoth - fttn?

10. GDavid

GDavid Member

Biggest country town in Australia status.
    Due to end the honeymoon discounts soon, so I'll start having a closer look soon, but think that's max for us atm...

11. Sneakypuss

Sneakypuss Member

Would have to be or wireless which is supposedly a total shitshow sometimes as well.
    Them be adsl2 numbers. Well slightly better upload, still under max adsl2 down speed by 6mbs
    Found the optimist.
    Cause it's going up for sale sooner or later, n guess who it looks like will once again control the entire county's telecommunications infrastructure...
    Should be used for immediately upgrading the network as much as possible to fibre.
    But that would be fulfilling 1 of its purposes. Govt asset functioning properly? isn't natural lol.
    Better on the books as running down the gigantic over budget debt / trying to turn a profit.
    So that the floundering govt run by a grinning buffoon with great 1 liners like "I don't hold a hose mate" or "it's not a race" looks better.
    Again thx Tone for having to do the exact opposite of whatever labour had planned just because it's the opposite, but ya speed some more boats at least *clap**clap*

Almost as bad as VIC govt... Almost. If they were running it, would be finished by 2055 be, 300%-400% over budget, with no tender process and the most heavily one sided contract in the builders favour. We'd have extra taxes put on our non upgraded copper lines and call surcharges to pay for it well after its competed.

Plus when its completely owned by evilCorp again I'm sure any upgrades currently in the pipeline will be postponed, then forgotten about. But prices will increase so we can look fwd to that....

GDavid likes this.
  12. Martyn

Martyn Member

Changed my phone plan, impressed with the results considering all the trees and terrain up here.

90176206-E21D-47CC-87C9-AAD422AA643B.jpeg

13. Sneakypuss

Sneakypuss Member

Pretty good for forest signal indeed. What's the dl limit /cost of the plan to achieve that with Telbags, Or cost of unlimited plan / acceptable usage limit?
    Such a shame 5g performs nowhere near cost to its maximum potential even standing next to the tower.. Yet.
    Your speed matches telstra's 4gx(assuming that is cat11-13 4x aggregate lte) more than it does 5g unless they have purposefully gimped upload speeds (could be modem/antenna hardware related though).
    If I was in bush would love those speeds considering the alienating for regional connections...

14. Martyn

Martyn Member

Telstra, $69/80 gig a month, contracted for 12 x months ($828 for the year). Got it from JB during boxing day sale & it included a $500 gift voucher, but couldn't go in until today as close contact etc.

Once it hits the 80 gig, it does lower speed but there are no additional charges.

The kids or I would have spent $500 @ JB during the year anyway, so I look at it as $328 for the year, or ~$28/month.

Coming from Kogan (Vodafone) 4g @ ~15down/3up it's a massive upgrade, but then again, even @$328/year it's not an insignificant increase in cost when I could buy the 2 for 1 vouchers from them.

It's all relative though, I remember having adsl1 installed back in 2004 with TPG(maybe Optus), and that cost something like ~$70/month for 150kbs/download & 60gig a month (20 during peak hours, 40 offpeak hours).

I thought that 60gig a month was huge, didn't think I'd ever use it. Nowadays the NBN usage hovers around 1.2-1.5tb a month, so in 17 x years time I'll hopefully look back at this mobile phone plan and have a chuckle.

15. Blinky

Blinky Member

iPhone 12 + Telstra 5G inside the Apartment in Brisbane CBD.

[​IMG]

This one is a different SIM but still Telstra 5G, but inside a ZTE MU500 hotspot (telstra 5G wifi pro).
    The connection is over Ethernet to the 5G hotspot.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  16. ddoth

ddoth Member

FTTN - 1.2km from the node. Has stayed about that for the last 2 and a bit years.

17. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

So for a week or so now I have been experiencing very slow download speeds with iiNet FTTC 100Mbp/s plan. Usually when I download a file it is quite quick in the Mbp/s speed range but now no matter what site i download from i seem to be getting around the 190 KBP/S download speed.
    When I do a speed test I gate good results.. I have re-installed drivers for the ethernet / chipset drivers etc etc but nothing is changing.
    [​IMG]

18. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

they’re gimping your speed but making Speedtest run properly, change ISP

19. Blinky

Blinky Member

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    alexc likes this.
  20. anthonyl

anthonyl Member