1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

mechanical keyboards: what to look for?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by ni9ht_5ta1k3r, Jul 7, 2012.

1. glimmerman

glimmerman Member

Good brands:

DAS
    Filco (excellent)
    WASD (also excellent, and customisable)
    Leopold
    Ducky ( i guess, I'm not a huge fan)

Filco's are generally seen as "the standard" for mechanical keyboards. WASD keyboards come out of the same OEM factory though and are highly customisable so these will be my next one (when PBT keys are released that is).

I probably wouldn't get cherry blues for gaming, they are more for people who type a lot. Get the cherry blacks if you want to game.

2. Error-prone

Error-prone Member

I went for the supposed mid ground and chose cherry brown. Seems fine compared to the blues in the black widow (I think that's what they used?).

Had the ducky for a few months now with no problems. The detachable cable is pretty cool, just another easy to replace part if it breaks. :p Will have to see how long it lasts, after a couple of years I might regret not getting a top tier brand.

Edit: Here's another guide on the key switches; with animated pictures. http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  3. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

was thinking of getting a filco cherry red though i can't tell the difference between it and cherry brown but the prices for either are no different.

4. csimpson

csimpson Member

Read up on the Mechanical Keyboard thread - it's got all the info you'll need.

Reds and Browns are both 'light' switches, for example - they both don't require very much force to push down - but Brown (like Blue) has a moderate tactile bump half-way down the key's travel, that lets you know when it's actuated. That means you don't necessarily need to press the keys entirely, which makes for faster typing/APM.

But in most FPSes you're bottoming out the keys anyway so the bump is irrelevant. Linear keys (no bump, like the Reds and Blacks) are good for gaming because they're consistent, and reds are the lightest of the linear keys which means faster key-presses with less effort required.

I have a Brown and a Red (Filco TKL and CMStorm QF Rapid), and I find them almost identical apart from the Browns' half-way bump. Of the two, Browns are slightly better for typing and Reds are slightly better for gaming, but it's a close race and either is well-suited to either task.

SWITCH TYPE: GAMING - TYPING (%)
    Brown: 40 - 60
    Red: 60 - 40

5. VeeK

VeeK Member

Just wanted to give a big shout out to Mionix for their amazing customer service.

I had an issue with my keys losing their paint after only 6 months of use on my Mionix Zibal 60 and after shooting off an email to their Support team in Sweden, I received a whole set of replacement keys (free of charge) delivered to my door within 3 days of providing my postage details.

I was also told they changed the manufacturing materials used to make the keys so I shouldn't have that problem again.

Awesome customer service :thumbup:

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Is pricing a concern?

7. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

nope. i just got a filco majestouch2 cherry red...will see how it goes.

8. Bertross

Bertross Member

Its what i would have bought mate, good choice in brand and mx key. :thumbup:

9. vinli

vinli Member

I have a leopold with cherry red switches and love it. For a mech keyboard that brand is relatively cheap too but you don't have the option of backlit keys like ducky shines. I'm considering getting O rings to dampen the noise as I still bottom out the keys all of the time (I'm a heavy typer after years of using awful/cheap keyboards at uni and work).

I used to have a logitech G-something (one of their original backlit macro boards before they introduced the little lcd display) but wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole after using the leopold :)

10. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

thanks!

now to move the old G15 over to the HTPC for its retirement! :p

I don't need the macro keys since I don't play much MMOs or anything that would really warrant the use of macro keys.

11. Zabba

Zabba Member

For that same reason I got the Corsair K60 which is similar to the K90 except it doesn't macros and all the bling. :thumbup:

12. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i read that the corsairs are a hybrid of mechanical and membrane....yeah, no thanks!

13. RnR

RnR Member

14. Zabba

Zabba Member

Yes they are, the Corsairs use rubber dome keys for the Esc and F1-12 the rest are Cherry reds. It also has a windows key lock button and a pretty usefull volume scroll.

I am pretty happy with it, I don't use the rubber dome keys often enough (or at all) to notice.

15. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

My kingdom for a mechanical Microsoft Natural Keyboard. Something similar in appearance and layout to the one I'm still using from 1997.

16. FOXH0UND

FOXH0UND Member

Pickup something with Reds :thumbup: