Medium sized dumb 1080P TV for idiot?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by ^catalyst, Jul 18, 2019.

1. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Greetings fellow nerds,

I'm in the market for a television with roughly the following specifications

- 1080p
    - ~40"
    - 2+ HDMI inputs
    - Either reasonable sound, or an easy way to get analog stereo out so I can plug it in to my amp
    - Must not, under any circumstance- have any 'smart' shit in it, no apps, nothin. This point is super firm.

I watch TV maybe once a week from my chromecast/plex setup.

There seems to be approximately 90000 different TV's on sale, and I'm completely bamboozled.

I'm not averse to second-hand/clearance etc due to my limited use but new with warranty would be nifty.

Looking to spend as little as practical. Be shopping at either appliancesonline, kogan, jb or the good guys.

Have I missed any important points? Please help, you're my only hope.

2. jakes

jakes Member

we have a 55" panasonic plasma for sale, asking $220

3. broccoli

broccoli Member

I don't think any of the new tvs have good sound and I think you might have trouble finding anything new in the shops that isn't supposedly "smart". My tv has some crap in it, but it doesn't do anything unless you hook it up to something so it can. I would suggest my tv, but it's only got digital audio out, don't know how/whether you can hook that up to an old-fashioned amp.

4. OP
    OP
    ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Where are you located? What size is the base/stand thing ? 55" is quite large for my TV unit.

5. OP
    OP
    ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Yeah, that seems to be the trend!

What TV do you have?

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

7. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Can I ask why you are so anti smart?

Also isn't a tv only smart if it's connected to the internet? I know with my samsung if it connected to the net, it's dumb as a fucking rock.

8. jakes

jakes Member

just noticed youre in melb ... disregard :D

9. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Well 40" is bloody small now... 55" is the old 40" now. Price per square inch is best on 55" and 65".

Most are 4K as standard now and come with "smart apps"... which no one needs to use, so just don't use them;

Good deal here, free delivery too;

https://www.billyguyatts.com.au/samsung-55-uhd-smart-led-tv-ua55ru7100wxxy.html

JSmith

10. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

As others have said, pretty much all TV;s are smart tv;s these days outside of the cheap Kogan, Aldi etc. ( https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-40-full-hd-led-tv-series-7-gf7100/ ) but the picture quality will be shit.

Panasonic SMART Tv features tend to be the least intrusive on recent models, especially as they dont use Android.

Also just look for tv's with Digital out and get a spdif to rca converter from ebay, cheap as chips.

11. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

... use IPS panels, which I wouldn't recommend as an evening TV due to poor blacks. Pana OLED only IMO.

JSmith

12. broccoli

broccoli Member

mine has hdmi digital out. Can that be converted?

13. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Not sure what you mean, Raptor was talking about converting spdif digital audio to analogue.

Do you want to strip audio from HDMI?

http://old.hdfury.com/extract-hdmi-audio/

JSmith

14. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

If your talking about the back light bleed then its in regards to edge lit panels, which all cheaper tv's use. IPS panels are by far the best panel type when it comes to colour accuracy and viewing angles. (excluding back light bleeding at those angles)

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/ips-vs-tn-vs-va-gaming-performance-colour-explained-2948955

'VA panels don’t tend to be quite as good as IPS, and as a result there can be a somewhat noticeable variation in brightness when viewed from different angles. ButIPS suffers from what’s known as ‘IPS glow’. This is where the backlight of the LCD shines through when the display is viewed from a certain angle.

You shouldn’t normally notice this unless viewing from an extreme angle, but it can sometimes be seen in the corners of large displays, particularly if they’re not manufactured to a high standard. Some users are particularly bothered by this; for most it’s all but unnoticeable in general use.'

In saying all of that i've not seen a recent Pana LCD, my current is an OLED however my previous was a Pana 50" LED LCD with IPS and none of the poor blacks your talking about (compared to other LCD's) however it was one of their last panels actually made in Japan or at least back when they where still making panels.

Obviously the OLED blows it away but that's 8-9 years of progression

15. power

power Member

Sphinx2000 likes this.
  16. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Hell no mate, for a monitor sure, but not for watching movies in low or zero ambient light.

IPS panels glow, their blacks are horrible in a HT setting.

I wouldn't touch an large IPS for a TV/HT setting purpose and no video enthusiasts would either;

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/ips-led-vs-va-lcd

Keep in mind I'm tryin' to help you mate. ;)

Full array back lit LED LCD's with local dimming using a decent number of zones and a VA panel are the better option if not going for OLED...

JSmith

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

I don't, op might, if it's possible to make the hdmi output access his amp (my amp/speaker set has hdmi inputs, I don't hook my telly up to my old stereo amp.)