1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Meet the Howell's - Family Outdoor Portraits || Sneaky Peek [NEW PICS]

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by cuzbruz, May 8, 2011.

1. cuzbruz

cuzbruz Member

Spent a warm and fuzzy hour or so with a young family yesterday afternoon. I have to say, the little man ran the show. Pretty much every shot of him was candid and shots were planned around what he wanted to do at the time. Most of the time he just wanted to play in the sand. This made the entire shoot challenging as planned shots only worked if the little man felt like being there. So shots were taken quickly and spontaneously.

I think ill wear a funny hat or a Dorothy the Dinosaur suit next time to keep the little ones attention.

Here is a sneaky peek of a few shots will post up the rest once i get a bit of time to edit.

Cheers.

New Pics further in thread

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. Goobers

Goobers Member

I love the first shot, I think thats fucking fantastic, but the comp on the rest seem to bring my smile back down a bit, especially where peoples arms legs and head are cut off, other than that, the pp is tops and the shots are pretty damn good.

3. Gaidin

Gaidin Member

Some nice shots mate...like #1 and #3 would be my favourite if Dads head wasnt cut off. Normally I dont mind little compositional things like that, but this time it just irks me a little....but I love the mood of it and the way the little guy is captured :thumbup::thumbup:

4. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

think i agree with goobers. the pp is excellent on all shots; love the first shots, but cutting of limbs is a bit traumatising :)

oh, well done on being able to photograph andrew hansen as well :lol:

5. OP
    OP
    cuzbruz

cuzbruz Member

Lol he does look like Hansen Andrew ay. Bahhhhhjsgsje6!!!! I am so upset about the limb choppings!! It was hard to compose with the little guy moving around so much. The hardest was on the warf, which is my favorite of the set except for the head chop. I think I'll try shooting wider next time. Thanks for the feedback. This was a new PP style, so I'm glad it works.

6. Turbo56k

Turbo56k Member

Hi Nav,

Nice set man. I find taking family portrait with little one can be very challenging, if done right, be very rewarding. Myself, I have 3 girls to practice, I am sure you will be having a few of yours soon.

When taking photo of kids, it is best to go with the flow, i.e. kids don’t like to following instruction, if they do, they look too stiff (unnatural). Works better if the photographer get on the ground and join in with the fun. Let the kids be themselves, get the parents to interact, play with the sand, jumping, running with the kid, whatever.

Your job is to anticipates what is going to happen next, set the camera on burst mode (don’t over do it though, lol) and press button. Take my tips as grain of salt, man. After all, I am still a learner myself.

cheers,

T.56k

7. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Loving the light and processing.. #1 and #4 for me.. limbs chopped .. its hard.. but what a great couple and kid to work with :)

Seriously though #1 will be a keeper for them forever.. I say this as my dads film scans keep getting uploaded on facebook by my mum lol.

8. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

I like them all :)

Very tasteful, and well shot.
    Did you fill flash the first 3?

9. OP
    OP
    cuzbruz

cuzbruz Member

Thanks for the constructive comments guys. You're right Tai, he was calling all the shots and it would have been better to just let him play and for me to just document their day. Will try going burst mode next time and just seeing what sticks as pretty every shot of the little guy was a candid lol.

Thanks Jack :thumbup: the processing style is new and I quite like it, I'm thinking of going back and re-editing my older photos like this to see if they work too.

I wish I had a helper on the day to help with fill flash or reflector. The first three did not have a fill flash. They were metered for somewhere in the middle, so ok subjects and background but not great. Then I adjusted the light levels in PS.. having a bit of fill flash would have cut down PP time tho..

I'm thinking of seeing if I can reconstruct dads head in the 3rd pic. It will either be a complete waste if time or it will work, still have some more to edit. Will post up the rest soon

Cheers to everyone for you helpful comments :D

10. kwax

kwax Member

man. number 1 really pops and looks 3d! crazzzyy. I must ask, how did you take that shot?

11. kpra1

kpra1 Member

Now you're just making me feel bad bro :p Will definitely try to make it to the next one fo shaw! It was an awesome day for a shoot.

New PP works well. Liking the tones, goes really well with the mood. Looking forward to the rest ;)

12. OP
    OP
    cuzbruz

cuzbruz Member

It was shot at f2.8 and close up at about 30mm. i made sure to include the sun too. Other than that just curves with some selective burning.

It was a great day, nice light all round. Yeah defs man, next family session.

A few new shots. I fixed dads chopped head too!!!

Updated

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  13. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

sooo so so nice. terrific clarity! looks like you got a great day, weather-wise. not a breath of wind.

he's still andrew hansen :lol:

14. gmturner

gmturner Member

i really like the last pic, the background is a tad distracting though and possibly could have benefited from a wider aperture/longer lens

15. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

#12 so much win. :thumbup:

16. HANKFISTA

HANKFISTA Member

10 is so cool :thumbup: