Melbourne Formula 1

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by rbdirty, Mar 21, 2016.

1. rbdirty

rbdirty Member

Some of the better pictures that I pulled from the memory card over the weekend. The fence makes it super tricky to get a car in focus, some turned out great - most of them were rubbish for this reason some have been quite heavily cropped.

Feedback always welcome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was in two minds about sharing the last two as the fence is right in the way but there is something about them that I like.

All the pics were taken directly from the camera in jpeg format. No alterations other than cropping.

2. dicer

dicer Member

Where abouts were you at the track to get such clear shots?

3. OP
    OP
    rbdirty

rbdirty Member

I was always around the general admission areas of the tracks. Sometimes I was lucky enough to point the lens through bigger gabs of the fence where the official photographs were located to get the nicer shots. But I still had the fence to contend with.

I usually just picked an area on the track where the view wouldn't be obscured, I would focus on the car approaching that area then press down. 10 fps later I would get a couple of usable shots, mostly garbage though.

Example this corner,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictures 5 and 11 were actual overlapped gaps in the fence, still not a great deal of room, like this uncropped pic of a GT3 McLaren;

[​IMG]

4. berek

berek Member

There are a couple that are very good. The colours look a bit off though. What lens were you using?

5. OP
    OP
    rbdirty

rbdirty Member

yes, slowly going through them and 'fixing' them up.

it's the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM

6. forbaz

forbaz Member

1, 4, 8, 13 & 14 look pretty good to me in terms of composition as a start point. You've done well shooting through the fence, it is not easy (I shot last year with press credentials). The colours are muddy though and they will look a lot better with some editing for sure. Cropping on a few will also make them much more striking. I can tweak a couple and PM them to you to show you what I mean if you want. :)

7. OP
    OP
    rbdirty

rbdirty Member

Yes please!

I am happy to take ANY advice here, it's my first time ever shooting cars!

Edit, just looked on a different screen, some appear dull looking.

2nd Edit, RAW pics of Thrusday located. Yippee!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  8. Glide

Glide Member

Some great shots! Going to the Canadian GP as my first formula 1 - cant wait :)

Anyone know if the #4 is Ricciardo or kvyat?

9. berek

berek Member

Yup 5.6 won't have enough isolation which will fool the autofocus. Does the lens have focus hold? Works a bit like manual and prefocus on the track.

10. OP
    OP
    rbdirty

rbdirty Member

Raw edits...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Grant

Grant Member

Just wanted to say excellent pics! :thumbup:

12. Amran

Amran Member

Great pics for your first time, just have a really nice feel to them!

I assumed it was Ricciardo because Kvyat didn't start the race... BUT I'm actually 99% sure it's Kvyat looking at the design:
    Google image search.

EDIT - oh and you can always tell team-mates apart from... wait for it... their cameras! Each car has an on board camera, it's the horizontal bar you can see mounted above the air intake. Each team leaves one camera alone (it's black, like Ricciardos) and they colour the other fluro yellow which is Kvyats colour as in the car in pic #4. So definitely Kvyat

The black camera is usually the "number 1 driver" even in teams that claim not to favour one or the other... check out the pics of the Mercs and Ferraris, Hamilton and Vettel have black cameras, Rosberg and Raikkonen have yellows :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  13. wild

wild Member

You can also tell from the helmet design. The sides of Kvyat's helmet are red, and on Ricciardo's helmet they're blue. See here:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/03/11/f1-fanatic-round-up-1103-2/kvya-helmet-2016/
    http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/03/11/f1-fanatic-round-up-1103-2/ricc-helmet-2016/

14. Amran

Amran Member

15. OP
    OP
    rbdirty

rbdirty Member

hey

the camera does have numerous settings that can be changed to track and autofocus on moving subject (case 1 to 6).