Melbourne Open House - Preview

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by doigal, Jul 9, 2009.

1. doigal

doigal Member

A few months ago I was contacted by the Melbourne Open House committee and asked if I'd like to help out with the photography for this years event. For those that don't know, MOH is the day where some of the more interesting buildings of Melbourne throw open their doors and let the public in. Some of the buildings have some spectacular rooftop views, always a fav of mine.

As part of this gig it gave me some amazing access to parts of the buildings, and naturally no crowds or security with a huge OHS form saying I couldn't use a tripod here. Unfortunately my day job sent me over to the UK for 3 months right in the middle of it all, which rushed some of the stuff towards the end and meant a lot of late nights touching the shots up, but job security in this market isn't something you pass up, so I had to do what I could. These shots are part of the 'rejects' from the folio I delivered - ie the ones that didn't make the final brochure or the website. The published shots are available at their site.

The event is open the public again on Sunday July 19th, If your heading down then I strongly recommend that you get there early based on last year's mammoth queues!

For more information on this event, please see the website: http://melbourneopenhouse.org/

1 - Russell Place Substation - easily my fav location that i was able to get access to.
    [​IMG]

2 - Russell Place Substation
    [​IMG]

3 - Russell Place Substation
    [​IMG]

4 - Russell Place Substation
    [​IMG]

5 - Russell Place Substation
    [​IMG]

6 - Council House 2
    [​IMG]

7 - CH2
    [​IMG]

8 - 161 collins
    [​IMG]

click for bigger, cheers for looking!

2. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

1, 2 and 6 stand out. Look like something out of a computer game. I think the depths of hte substation looks like a great place to take pics, but with low light would be hard without a tripod.

With shot 3 i would make the picture B&W and leave the "ALIVE" sign in red/colour.

3. DiZZ_19

DiZZ_19 Member

Just a reminder that MOH is on this Sunday.
    Anyone has has the day free should check it out. :thumbup:

4. OP
    OP
    doigal

doigal Member

bumpity bump, its today!

5. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

No 3 would have had me lulz if there was a '5' above the sign 'Alive'. ;)

6. Maghemi

Maghemi Member

It's funny how you don't think about things until you don't have it anymore.

I used to have access to all of those buildings in those photos there on a weekly basis with my previous work. As well as to dozens of others including rooftops and never really took the time to take photos like this.

Now I don't have access to them I wish I'd taken the time to look around.

Some great shots there.

7. IPPacket

IPPacket Member

Great photos. I was lucky enough to be in Melbourne last year on business and had a day free to walk around town. It happened to be the day of last years Open house and I only stumbled on it by accident. Was awesome checking out some of the places, I hope it catches on up here in Brissy.

8. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

Melbourne's power distribution network looks the same as in Sydney! Totally old and fuct!

Great pictures, I get to see some interesting infrastructure working for Sydney's power people.

cheers

mM

PS: not a photo person, clicked through the news page to see what power sub it was.....