1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Memory issue?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Razorz, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Razorz

Razorz Member

Hey everyone! I'm trying to solve this issue for a friend's computer, he's got a B450 Aorus Pro Wifi motherboard running TridentZ F4-30000C15D-16GTZ memory (16GB (8GB x2) of DDR4.

Windows was installed fine, however, blue screens would occur every now and again at completely random moments. You could be using chrome, windows explorer, during a game, no preference for crashes. Windows event logger would never log an event other than that the computer crashed.

I attempted to reinstall windows from a usb, however, now I'm getting Blue screens during windows installation.

I've updated the bios to V2 which says it includes further memory compatibility, however, regardless of what frequency I run the RAM at, I continue to get the issue. So, after looking at the approved memory list for this MOBO, the memory being used isn't listed. Is there anything I can do to make this work, other than suggesting a different set of memory is purchased?

Thanks!

2. breno

breno Member

Have you run Memtest to see if there's any issues with the RAM?

3. OP
    OP
    Razorz

Razorz Member

Thanks for your reply mate, I just bought some new Corsair memory from the list of compatible memory for the mobo. Tried using the system for a bit and ran into the same random blue screen issue... So it's neither sticks of memory :(... The blue screens have happened during windows install itself which means it has to be hardware related... could the issue simply be that the motherboard is faulty? I've no idea how to test it.

4. dasa2

dasa2 Member

Could be MB\SSD or the USB stick your installing from.
    Could be that you got two dud kits of RAM in a row.

5. OP
    OP
    Razorz

Razorz Member

I managed to install windows and get games going. Now I've changed the power supply, no change still blue screens. I'm thinking the RAM wasn't the issue at all.
    Think I might RMA the motherboard now...

6. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

have you checked your ram info with any programmes? like cpuz?
    also are you sure you have your memory in the right slots, each mobo is different, some dual channel ram goes in slot 2 and 4 on some boards

7. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

Does he know what the blue screen says?

Is he using Killer Network Manager / Killer Control Center?

8. darkanjel

darkanjel Member

As above, run Memtest.

Windows can load and run on faulty memory. In certain configurations, even Prime will complete 100% for 7 days even when one stick/slot is faulty.

adamsleath likes this.
  9. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

10. OP
    OP
    Razorz

Razorz Member

Thanks guys, I ran memtest for 8 hours on both kits. 8 passes. No issues on either.

I swapped out one piece at a time, hard drive, psu, memory same issue every time.

I then installed the new memory kit and a ssd instead of the m2 together. No crashes yet, I think the issue was a combination of memory timings on the original memory not being supported and the m2 being faulty?

11. darkanjel

darkanjel Member

Hard to say until you can replicate a crash. If you really want to know, change the timings back now that you're happy with the hardware.

12. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Fingers crossed you’ve sorted it out. Make sure in advanced system properties that the system is configured not to automatically reboot on failures as well as a crash dump is configured during failures. In addition to what others have mentioned, if you come across a reoccurrence, run driver verifier as you might have a faulty device that is causing your BSOD. If by any chance it happens again, and you’ve configured your failure events to capture a crash dump, a STOP code in it should contain a clue as to where you need to be looking at moving forward.

13. OP
    OP
    Razorz

Razorz Member

Thanks for the check in guys. Appreciate all the responses along the way.

I ended up going back to umart, said that the G.Skill RAM and SSD were faulty based on my countless BSoD issues. They refunded me the total cost on the spot without the original packaging (apparently they are happy to do that for RAM and HDD's now). I ended up using a standard 2.5" SSD and corsair memory in his system, since then, no more crashing.

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Glad you got it sorted, nothing worse than issues like this where you don't know whether it's hardware incompatibility or a dud piece of hardware. Just swapping out parts with testing is the only way you can go and hope that you don't spend too much money or time doing so.

Razorz likes this.