1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

memory questions regarding ddr3 on first gen i7

Discussion in 'Memory' started by Horze, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Horze

Horze Member

Hey guys, been a while since ive posted, hope all is well.
    Just have a couple questions if some gurus can maybe help out please as im really rusty as time is going to quick

My Pc is a i7 920, with 3 x 2gb of ram at the moment. (yes these boards were the triple channel DDR3)
    Motherboard is a Gigabyte EX58-UD5

I know alot of you would be laughing and rolling there eyes atm, but in all honesty it does everything i throw at it, so i havnt needed to upgrade yet. I mainly use it for work and web browsing and music and never use it for gaming.

Only let down i have with it (and my fault really), with work i sometimes have about 40 pages of internet browsing open, with alot of other stuff aswell, yes i know crazy, but i do need to with work, as working out materials for jobs etc etc.

When doing so my memory in task manager is at about 5.8gb, so ive almost capped it, and browsing starts coming really laggy. CPU usage still very low...

So ive decided, to put some more ram in the old girl.
    This is where im stuck

Ive got 3 x sticks of DDR3 1333mhz 1.5v 2gb kingston currently in it all on channel 1

Now triple channel sticks is very hard to get nowadays, and to make it harder.. 1333 sticks are even harder to get, and then even harder in 4gb sticks.

The easiest available are the 1600mhz 4gb 1.5v

What id like to do is get 3 x 4gb 1600 mhz and add this to my system

So
    channel 1: 3 x sticks of DDR3 1333mhz 1.5v 2gb kingston (original ram)
    channel 2: 3 x sticks of DDR 1600mhz 1.5v (gskill, kingston, corsair)

I dont want to overclock, and will want the new 1600mhz ram to run at 1333mhz, but im unsure if this can be done safely as voltages get lower when it doesnt reach the speed? or something like that? i dunno...
    Also moxing different brands and sizes of ram channel vs channel is risky too?

I would like the pc to run in triple channel mode as it is now if possible aswell

Gigabyte's compatiblity memory list has confused me even more as it doesnt make sense to me as they state "XMP DDR3 1600~1866 (Only Support Per Channel)" on it.
    Also no 4gb sticks listed on the compatiblity in 1600mhz

This is the link for gigabyte memory compability list http://download.gigabyte.cn/FileList/Memory/motherboard_memory_ga-ex58-ud5.pdf

Help is greatly apreciated guys

Thanks for the help in advance

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  2. gazza30

gazza30 Member

See if you can find the same model ram on ebay or on forums its possible to run tri chanel with 4 sticks if placed in the correct order. Maybe an extra 2gb might be enough

3. ae00711

ae00711 Member

given that all settings can be manually set (voltage, speed etc etc), I'd just go for it. Try all sticks @ 1.5V first - it'll highly likely work, all sticks @ 1.5V 1333.

4. OP
    OP
    Horze

Horze Member

thanks and sorry for the late reply, didnt realise you guys replied

So faster ram speed operates at higher voltages?

So if i just reduce to the voltage on the 1600mhz ram to 1.5v it will then becomes 1333 speed?

Have looked gazza, pretty hard to find to be honoust.

Any idea what gigabyte mean by there ram supported list?
    Thanks

5. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

It's going to all be down to luck.
    I ran 48GB of "modern" 1600MHz 1.5v @ 1866 just fine on my old Gigabyte X58.
    Your computer will use the lowest common denominator when setting a default JDEC SPD timing.